Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Portfolio) Pieter Mans

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
feanix polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys! Recently set up a portfolio site. Would love you to bits if you could give me some crits about layout, information I should/shouldn't include, navigation, whether the work in the portfolio is rubbish or okay and so on.

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Take us directly to your work. Not your resume, I don't want to see that until after I've seen your work. And what is FYP mean?

I think I'd take out the 'speedtree' you didn't model it, you used speedtree. Anything created in a generator program, I wouldn't consider your own work, but I could be wrong.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, you want people to start right at the portfolio.

I like the layout/design of the site, other than that. In your links, portfolio should probably be on top too.

However, the actual portfolio is lacking quite a bit. Like Jeremy said, you cant really build trees in a generator and claim them as work.

I don't understand specifically what kind of employer/position this is meant for. Your title says technical artist, but there really isn't much showing off any technical skill. For the plants that movie with the wind/character..did you create that system or is it built into unreal? And if you are more of a environment artist...you aren't showing any work other than speed tree stuff. You need to really sell yourself with your portfolio, and show what work you actually did.

Edit: Also tried looking at your Linkedin Page. It may not be useful to have this on your website, as somebody has to be in your network to view your page...so most people will probably get what i got.....a page saying I cant look at it.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I'm not sure what kind of job you would be hired for.....It seems like the only work you've done is foliage systems, but there isn't a whole lot of detail on what you've actually done to achieve that. Also, I could be wrong, but it seems all the big games these days use speed tree, which pretty much does all that work for you, so there isn't really a need to hire someone to create those system since everyone just licenses speed tree.

To be honest, from an artistic perspective the foliage you've created doesn't match speed tree's quality either, which I think is the minimum level you need to achieve.

Just my 2 cents, I could be totally wrong, I haven't gotten in depth with these kind of systems, although I did evaluate speed tree for a former employer to see whether we should use it or not.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I'd agree with Konrad... I was kind of thrown back when you mentioned technical artist but 90% of your work is what prop or environment modeler's would be doing. All of the TD's (Technical Directors and Artists) that I know are fluent in multiple scripting languages.. whether it is python, Mel, Maxscript, C++, or something along those lines and demonstrate this through custom shader development, new user interface tools, custom rigs for facial animations and such.. or many many other aspects. I would consider deciding what exactly you want to do, and love to do... and to check out other senior level artists in the specialization to have something to aim for.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your feedback.

My plan is to add some tutorials on the technical stuff to show I know what I'm doing there!

I threw in the SpeedTree model to show I knew how to use SpeedTree. Can definitely take it out no trouble. I could also add some growth to it to make it more interesting.

I'll post again when I've addressed your criticisms!
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Only plants and trees? Only three pieces? Your gonna need to mix it up buddy. Add some buildings, props, vehicles, weapons...etc. Have 5-6 quality pieces. Prove you can make modular assets. Show off your low poly work in a game engine like unreal. What you have right now is not a portfolio. Its a few plants. Good luck!
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Will do! I kinda realised I was gonna get ripped for small amount of stuff. I figured it was better to get feedback early on though. I haven't had to many comments about bad layout or anything, so that seems to be okay!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    feanix wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback.

My plan is to add some tutorials on the technical stuff to show I know what I'm doing there!

I threw in the SpeedTree model to show I knew how to use SpeedTree. Can definitely take it out no trouble. I could also add some growth to it to make it more interesting.

I'll post again when I've addressed your criticisms!

According to my observation here on PC, I can tell that the last and the very least thing one would want to see is someone knows how to use the speedtree.

Employers are out of the question.

Try to model them using a 3d modeling tool.

Improvise also; I see that almost all of your work is just undone.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ I saw a speedtree tree and died inside. Don't do that. Just mention in text format that you can use it.