Home General Discussion

Google promoting TV browsing

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
It was recently announced at Google's annual conference that they are going to be releasing a new version of the Chrome browser that is optimized for use on televisions. Perhaps even more interesting, they are partnering with various other companies to have this browser integrated into numerous set-top boxes and even into televisions themselves.

Gamasutra Report on Google TV

Sony especially seems to be jumping on this with both feet, claiming that their fall line up of televisions will all integrate Google TV, as well as their next line of Blu-Ray players. Adobe is backing this strongly as well, and Google TV is going to have full support for the Flash Player v10.1. Google claims that they will be opening the APIs for this browser to the public, so that developers will be able to integrate Google TV specific features into their web applications.

I'm thinking that this is going to have a lot of potential for web-based games, especially flash games.

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I must be getting old, because I really can't wrap my head around what google TV is suppose to provide/change. Maybe I'm confusing it with what I was HOPING it would be, which was for Google to start providing TV services (since Comcast and AT&T suck). I guess I've just been too tired lately to actually read up on this.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i guess it saves TV shows, and allows you to search through and easily find those TV shows.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    It also sounds like this means that eventually every TV in the world will have a Flash/HTML5 based game console built into it. If Im not mistaken, there are considerably more TVs in the world than there are PCs, consoles, and smartphones combined. This could make for a pretty massive market in a few years.

Edit: and if I were an engineer Id be working on a universal remote set up like a console pad that could be sold for less than 30 bucks.