Home General Discussion

"I'll have the usual" - Favorite Food Joints

Do you guys have any favorite places you go to on lunch break? I know that I have a few that I frequent, and I thought it would be interesting to hear what kind of places everyone else goes to. Maybe you'll give some ideas to polycounters near you. Link menus, pictures, or whatever. I love me some food pron.

I live and go to school in downtown Pittsburgh, and I eat at the same Chinese joint, the Hong Kong Express II, about 3 to 4 times a week. Its just a block down the street from the Art Institute and my apartment and is run by the nicest husband and wife you'll find (they gave my friend a ride to the grocery store once). They will always hook up their regulars with extras, like teriyaki chicken or crab rangoon. My "usuals" are pork lo mein or chicken curry lo mein, both of which are the best I've had.

Anyway, hope this isn't too "bloggish", but I figure I'm not the only one on the boards that enjoys food.

I'm hungry now.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I go to my local bar and wok quite often it is great :) tastes so good and really nice and authentic, and I made the website haha

http://www.barandwok.com
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    My local Subway knows me so well I walk in and they start preparing a Spicy Italian :D Apart from those bastard Saturday workers, why don't they remember me!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Here in Iowa City...

Let's see...

Thai Flavors - Chicken Pad Thai 7 star.... side of Potstickers
    Hamburg Inn #2
    Short's Burgers
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The local M&S food counter know what I like, if they've got the hot carved gammon & mustard sandwich around, I'm havin' that!
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Hotel de la Montagne - Jameson neat
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse, here's a few more for you

Aoeshe - Chinese, Japanese, Korean, best place in town if you like any sort of Asian food(aside from Thai Flavors, as they dont have Thai here). Sushi Po-Po is also great, but Aoeshe has a better variety and (wife says) better sushi.

India Cafe and Malsala(vegetarian) - Awesome Indian food, lunch buffet at both

Atlas - Slightly expensive but some affordable stuff(like the burritos) Get the Buffalo Chicken Burrito

126 - EXPENSIVE, but the best food in town, by far. They opened a slightly less expensive place called Hearth right about, but i havent been, i assume its decent as well.

Blue Bird Diner - A little more expensive than you might think, but has some good stuff, the meatloaf is awesome, and they sometimes have sandwich specials, i got a Cuban sandwich one time that was one of the best sandwiches i've ever ate in my life.

The Mill - Great bar food, burgers, sandwiches etc.

Oasis Falafel‎ - Fast, cheap and good, Mediterranean. Right next to Hamburg

Falbo's Pizza, best pizza in town i would say. Mesa is cool for some more strange/unique pizza choices and worth a visit, but Falbo's is still the best... Honorable mention for Pizza on Dubuque, its right across the street from the Deadwood, so it gets a lot of post-drinking visits.

Devotay - Expensive, Tapas, hippie crap, can be very good but may not be your thing.

Lynn St Cafe - Expensive(i think), never been but have heard good things.

There are probably a few more, but thats what i got off the top of my head.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost forgot about Little Tokyo Bistro. Just went again last night with some friends. Probably the best sushi in Pittsburgh.

http://www.littletokyopittsburgh.com/bistro/
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    I work in a tiny, itty bitty city in Illinois called Elizabeth, and 75% of the places to eat here are bars. :) I go next door almost every day to a bar called Dually's and eat their lunch specials (good homemade food every day!) But if I'm in a hurry, I go to a small cafe a few doors down (E-Town Cafe) and get a turkey and avocado panini.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    this is making me hungry.

Chipotle - mmmmmm
    Kadhai (indian, good!) - have changed owners a lot, and they seem to run the good cooks in shorter shifts these days :( and its expensive! ugh
    Royal India - classic indian. creepy to eat there though, but easy takeout!
    Fiesta Mexicana - We called this place "Amigos!" for a long time, because the owner and staff were super nice all the time.
    Shaba Shabu (thai) - pseudo upscale thai place, awesome food.
    Champa Thai - smaller joint, family run. Nice people!
    greek place by office, Greek Fiesta - have heard horror stories lately from them though with how they treat customers. Food can be good though.
    Babaganuj! - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm small lil stip place, but so good.
    chinese, i like all the shit-hole ones.
    Camilles (small local bistro)
    Jack Daniel's Deli - small gas station/deli, down-home cookin. Personable staff, and always tons of characters in there waiting for food :)
    JimmyJohns
    Bruegers
    Raleigh Times - bar/restaurant, cool joint.
    Hibernian (both locations mmm)
    The Rockford - cool joint, artsy, good food, though they close early.
    Lily's - awesome pizza, cool atmosphere with punkrock & artsy vibes. Natural ingredients, great homemade crust, really unique pizzas.

Sean: No "The O?" hahaha
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Subway
    footlong honey oat sub o the day please :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    Sean: No "The O?" hahaha

As in The Original Hot Dog Shop? Haha. It IS pretty good. But its also all the way up in Oakland, and I have no car. If I'm lucky I can get a ride up there sometimes, but then I have to choose between The O and Five Guys Burgers and Fries.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    The local M&S food counter know what I like, if they've got the hot carved gammon & mustard sandwich around, I'm havin' that!

M&S? la-di-da
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    There's a place on Fleet Street called Ozzie's that serves the best chili burgers I've ever eaten in Britain (which, admittedly, isn't saying much but they're still awesome), plus their devil's food cake is amazing. Shame there's no real reason for me to brave the sea of suits around Fleet Street...

A little closer to where the action is, the Cheng Chueng Ku Chinese in Soho has a great value all-you-can-eat buffet, and Bodean's on Poland Street serve the most incredible BBQ loose-meat sandwiches (Time Out voted them best sandwich in the city last year, I think) and they cook a mean steak, if you can hold out for a table in the restaurant downstairs. Oh, and there's that awesome little Vietnamese BBQ place just between Haymarket and Leicester Square....

/hungry
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the undergrads in physics I know (me included) eat at this food-on-wheels thing (forgot the proper term) which is right outside the main entrance of the physical labs (McLennan's, anyone goes/gone to UofT here?) which is our little dungeon. He has a 5 dollar deal, you get a fairly large portion of french fries (which actually taste good, although lately the quality has been deteriorating) and a fairly large hotdog. I tried a burger once too, it was pretty nice.

I wonder how much the guy makes. There are always people waiting for something every day.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hate to list a chain but the Victoria's Crowned Filet at Outback Steakhouse is the bee's knees.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    http://luigisitaliano.com/

Fettucini Alfredo with sliced ham (ham on recommendation of the owner, I get it for free cause I've been going there so much).

Coworkers and friends say everything else on the menu is awesome, but I keep saying "I'm not trying anything else til they screw up my favorite". :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    No favorite place here... in San Diego, it was Chez Zous(sp), we call him the Soup Nazi. He made soups with things I did not like and it was still good. And the Spicy Chicken Sandwich was awesome beyond words.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    He made soups with things I did not like and it was still good.

Hahahaha.

Oh yeah, can't forget about Primanti Brothers. Some show on the food network rated it number one diner in the States.

http://www.primantibrothers.com/
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Have to agree about everything Sean has said, and add in Mexico City. It's usually packed, with the line out the door during the summer, and it's so delicious and reasonably priced.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    There's two Sichuan places here - spicy spicy spicy food but yummy. Unfortunately I need to have Chinese with me to order there.

Then we have a Macanese place, which offers great stir fry noodles, rice and dim sum, and even though it's called "Pizza Inn", I never see anyone eat Pizza there.

There's a faux Japanese place which is so-so, but the other foreigners like it a lot. Plus it's just across the street, which makes it convenient when it rains.

And then there's a decent Xingjiang place which serves food from there. It's a mix between eastern turkish and chinese food. They also have nice kebabs.

Eating out is pretty cheap, usually runs between 2 and 4 USD....that's the best thing about China :) Back in Norway even the company cantina charged me between 7 and 9 USD every day. And eating out was just for special occasions - or when you got really really really tired of the cantina food.

So where's any other Shanghaiers to join me?! (can't believe I'm the only one here with EA, Massive Black and Ubi who hangs out at polycount)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    a good joint here in Broomfield, Co is http://www.zenbistroandsushi.com/ there peanut curry is like sex

I would murder you all for some a Primanti Bros..havnt had it since school http://www.primantibrothers.com/
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor - Hahaha, I was hoping you would see this thread. I remember seeing that you are a former AIP student.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Thai Express
    and
    A&W
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Anywhere Japanese :D

Or, cheaper default... Subway! (Eat Fresh!)

GOD, you people have made me so hungry right now... :\
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I worked at subway for a while :(
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Than you must know what they put in their chicken...its fuckin tasteless >.<
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    its frozen bricks of blended chicken nuggets with painted grill marks.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i personally love wendys, and popeyes.

back in my college, i use to get pizza from the local place a few houses down, every day. I would call them up, say hi, and they would respond with "see you in 10" and hang up. even got a few pizzas free. lol
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I forgot to mention the best pizza place in bowling green, Ohio.....

Pollyeyes! (campus)
    They have amazing heart wrenching and gut destroying stuffed breadsticks. If you ever pass through there, it's a a must-visit place.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    When I was at Midway in Chicago.

HOT DOUGS!!! Amazing Chicago style dog. On the weekends they have duck fat fries... OMG TOO AMAZING!!!!

Raven in Middleton, WI

Swagat (indian buffet. SO GOOD)
    Quaker Steak and Lube
    Claduagh Irish Pub
    Cheeseburger in Paradise

So many good things....
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    If your in Cork City, Ireland. Cafe Mexicana is awesome. Its like a cheese apocalypse.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    LOL r_fletch I don't think anywhere in Ireland can touch any place mentioned in this thread...seriously, the Irish eat to live, not live to eat. Everything I've ever eaten here is pretty much dog muck compared to anywhere else.

The sushi is ok in some places though...and the authentic asian places are pretty good.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Here in Iowa City...

Let's see...

Thai Flavors - Chicken Pad Thai 7 star.... side of Potstickers
    Hamburg Inn #2
    Short's Burgers

Dude, you get -1 star.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    when i walk into my local subways they instantly know whats going down but they still confirm each time with me that i want my usual and am not trying somethign new today !

teriyaki chicken with extra crisp bacon and honey mustard sauce \ o /
  • javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    Here in Vancouver, I'd say Salsa and Agave, best Mexican food and very well priced. Samurai Sushi is also good too, and Phats here in Yaletown.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Marine wrote: »
    M&S? la-di-da

Mar ftw!

Nandos !!

and this place

http://www.taqueria.co.uk/

they do an awesome chicken soup with rice beans and avocado .. which is only awesome after a good slug of habranero sauce
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Every week just before 1 hour of football.

McDonalds!

£1.25 for a double cheeseburger, then maybe an extra cheeseburger, always with small or medium fries. Hardly ever get a soft drink.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    LOL r_fletch I don't think anywhere in Ireland can touch any place mentioned in this thread...seriously, the Irish eat to live, not live to eat. Everything I've ever eaten here is pretty much dog muck compared to anywhere else.

The sushi is ok in some places though...and the authentic asian places are pretty good.

Yes because the Mexican resteraunt serves Irish food... Obviously.

you must live in carlow or something
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These aren't really places I hit all the time, we mostly eat in, but they are my favorite places to eat out.

Thai ho Kirkland Wa. Hand pulled noodles, holy crap everything there is good.
    Ruth Chris Bellevue Wa. New York Strip...
    La Palmera Mill Creek Wa. Almost as good as some of the best places I found in Az... almost.
    The Ranch Drive-in Bothell Wa. Same location for 40+ years, always packed, always good.
    Countryside Donut House Bothell Wa. Best donuts in the world... the world.
    The Texas Smokehouse Woodenville Wa. Texas Spud on Burnt Ends Day, forget about it every other day.
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    ivaj wrote: »
    Here in Vancouver, I'd say Salsa and Agave, best Mexican food and very well priced. Samurai Sushi is also good too, and Phats here in Yaletown.

Have you been to the Euro Pastry House in Yaletown? I don't know why they call it that, it's all sandwiches, but they're so good, and pretty fast if you show up anytime that's not 12-1.
  • javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    KateC wrote: »
    Have you been to the Euro Pastry House in Yaletown? I don't know why they call it that, it's all sandwiches, but they're so good, and pretty fast if you show up anytime that's not 12-1.
    I haven't been there just yet, Ive heard great things. I'm less than a block from there too, I shall have to try it out! :)
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seattle:
    Paseo's - Best pork sammich in the world
    Baguette Box - more sammiches
    Zippy's - amazing cheeseburgers
    Santorini's - gyros gyros gyros :)
    Via Tribunali - the wife and I love the neopolitan style pizza here
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Yes because the Mexican resteraunt serves Irish food... Obviously.

you must live in carlow or something

I'm in Dublin :) And I wasn't talking about the type of cuisine, it's pretty much any type of food produced in this country that is a poor representation of what it should actually taste like. Thai, Japanese, Mexican, take your pic! :D Having lived abroad for 10 years, I'd know.

One of the reasons quality of life in this country is in the toilet. :/

For all you guys who just love the Subway... NEVER work there. That smell of the place still turns my stomach every time I walk past one haha... can't eat there anymore. Wasn't a huge fan of it before hand though.