Home General Discussion

Schwarzenegger v. EMA (should videos be protected by the First Amendment)

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
http://action.theeca.com/p/dia/action/public/index.sjs?awesm=fbshare.me_AMm2T&action_KEY=1781
That means that this year, or early next, the Court is going to decide whether to agree with the lower federal courts or not. Agreeing would mean that they believe that video games are, and should continue to be, First Amendment protected speech; just like books, movies and music. The court disagreeing would mean that they think video games should be treated differently. This could lead to new bills and laws curtailing video game access in states across the country. It is no exaggeration to state that their hearing represents the single most important moment for gamers, and the pivotal issue for gaming, in the sector’s history.
I saw one of my friends post this on his facebook, I hadn't really heard of this today and what other polycounters thought about it, and if anyone is more knowledgeable about it.

It seems currently there can't be any laws restricting the sales of mature games any more than its set up now, and some states have tried to pass laws, but have been shot down.

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    It's more than just mature games.

It has to do with making political statements with your games. Making games specifically targeting politicians, or the famous.

This also opens up to Southpark/family guy style humour, where we can then actually make fun of Lindsay Lohan's decline into depravity, or Osama Bin Laden as the main villain to take down in a game.,

This is a VERY VERY big step towards opening up games for being a medium of social critique and political relevance.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Jacque: Why couldn't you do that now? Or your saying you couldn't do that now under the ESRB rating?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    lol, i bet none single of them know about -eroge-- :p
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was already, interesting. *Signed*
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Jacque: Why couldn't you do that now? Or your saying you couldn't do that now under the ESRB rating?
    Maybe he meant we can do that now so we should make sure it stays that way. If it doesn't... consider moving to Canada.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    You can't.

It has nothing to do with the ESRB. The ESRB is simply a rating system.

Ever watch "People vs Larry Flynt"?

Well that's where games are right now. We are not considered an art form, so we can NOT parody anyone. Games do not have freedom of speech, and are not protected by the first ammendment.

If you decided to put Paris Hilton in a game, she can sue you. If you parody a movie, the movie studio can sue you. If you decide to put George Bush or Obama in a game, they can sue you.

This prevents us from making games with any relevant social impact. It prevents games from expressing the same ideas that are in many movies or books.

This is a BIG DEAL.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard Schwarzenegger wants to amend the Constitution so that he can run for President.... lmao
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The ESRB actually has a lot of power (because console makers give it power), none of the consoles will allow AO rated games or unrated games, lots of chains wont sell M rated games to people under 17.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KhAoZ wrote: »
    I heard Schwarzenegger wants to amend the Constitution so that he can run for President.... lmao

Presidenterminator for president!

You heard his future nickname here first, folks.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Jacque: I'm not sure I'm hearing you right, but are you saying games are not protected under the 1st amendment currently? Because they are.

Games like Postal 2 pretty much prove this. You can do whatever you want as it is right now.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They are currently protected by the 1st amendment, (so far all court cases have said that they are) but its being challenged now.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Wait so we are protected now?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'm European, can i sign somewhere too?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    The Prezinator?
    (also i'm a little confused on Scwharzenegger's stance. Is he for or against it? Eitherway...)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    vcool wrote: »

ah, makes me want to watch Demolition man again

Anyway, I don't think this law is as strict as people think. If you make a game about a movie which is parodying Paris Hilton, where do you stand?
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12

and by first you mean 3 years after this dude coined the phrase on his blog right?

http://www.tomeofcommunism.com/2007/09/dick-in-box.html
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11

and by first you mean 3 years after this dude coined the phrase on his blog right?

"media girl" beats your guy by another 3 years;
    http://mediagirltunesin.blogspot.com/2004_10_29_archive.html
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    moof wrote: »
    Jacque: I'm not sure I'm hearing you right, but are you saying games are not protected under the 1st amendment currently? Because they are.

Games like Postal 2 pretty much prove this. You can do whatever you want as it is right now.

Never played Postal 2. Who is actually in it? Someone living who did not give express written consent to use their likeness and name?

Try putting Jerry Falwell in your game as someone who has sex with his mom.

Not a misspelling comical representation of Jerry Falwell. Not Larry Palwell, but "Jerry Falwell" the Virginian Baptist Televangelist.

We are NOT protected by the first amendment. We had an entertainment lawyer give is a HUGE discussion about this not too long ago. You can use people who have been dead for 100 years and are public domain (like Leonardo in Assassin's Creed).
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Wait what, never mind.

Damn, I thought I was writing history.

Some day, some day, I will do it.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    There generally are disclaimers on films and tv shows "These characters are fictitious, any resemblance or relation to real or living people is pure coincidence." South Park has a huge disclaimer at the start of each episode (which is more of a signature than a warning now), but i've also seen it in books, films, and in some games (i think Modern Warfare or COD games?)

I know some games do the same (not many), but you could put "Paris Hilton" in your game if you had that disclaimer - the same as you could use John Smith and not have 8million john smiths sue you.

edit: lol immediately after posting this i read this on shitaku:

http://kotaku.com/5543053/unlockable-celebs-will-return-to-nba-jam?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+kotaku/full+(Kotaku)
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    We are NOT protected by the first amendment. We had an entertainment lawyer give is a HUGE discussion about this not too long ago. You can use people who have been dead for 100 years and are public domain (like Leonardo in Assassin's Creed).

Anything is subject to getting sued for using the likeness of anybody for a variety of reasons. Games aren't any different.

moose is basically right.

If you're making money off of somebody without them getting paid or without their consent, you can get in serious trouble.

You have every right to slander people, institutions, pets, and all sorts of stuff. Most companies just don't really bother doing it outright. Fallout 2 for example had a whole sect characters based on scientologists, and they basically just changed the name to Hubologists.

Postal 2 had, what... Gary Oldman?
    But that's no different from using movie characters in games and what not. It's just part of the contract and license.

Uh, yeah. It's not impossible, but it's just not really done very often. It isn't illegal, so long as you aren't making money directly off of their likeness without their consent.

[edit] looked it up a bit more, since I was wondering how southpark gets away with it all.
    The First Amendment protects satire and parody as a forms of free speech and expression. South Park, the Simpsons and Family Guy Parody current adult life and are protected by the constitution.

As President Clinton and Bush have found out, citizens can malign, disparage and lampoon public figures. Under New York Times v. Sullivan and Falwell v. Hustler Magazine, speech that is critical of public figures only loses its First Amendment protection if it contains a false statement of fact, the falsehood is uttered deliberately or with recklessness as to its veracity, and the speech ends up defaming and injuring the figure's reputation or intentionally inflicting emotional distress. In other words, speech involving public figures, including parody and caricature, is constitutionally protected unless the speaker is deliberately or recklessly lying about a public figure.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    That's exactly what I was getting at.

Falwell sleeping with his mother is parody if it's a book, a TV show, or a comic strip.

As it currently stands, if you put Falwell in a game, and represent him as someone who sleeps with his mother, you are liable to be sued.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

Noticing your location. Canadian or American lawyer?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18

He should be allowed to run for president a country made up of immigrants not allowing an immigrant to be president.. wha ? If that really were the case then american indians would be the only ones eligible to be president ! Now that would be CHANGE ..

oh and I want paris hilton in a japanese dating game
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sorry for the huge bump, but

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/15/esa-humble-about-chances-against-california-in-supreme-court-c/
    Gallagher explained, "[State government] moves like lightning and moves -- depending on where you are -- in an informed or uninformed manner. If we win, then we feel we'll be done at long last with these content issues. Video games ... it's already been recognized through a dozen decisions that we're entitled to the same first amendment treatment as movies, as music, as books. That is what we're hoping will be the law of the land at the conclusion of this case. So, we win, we can put this behind us and focus on incentives for the industry." Gallagher expressed those incentives included focusing on jobs and tax incentives for the industry, instead of regulatory issues.