Home Technical Talk

Smak 1.6 amboc/normal baker

robioto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
robioto polycounter lvl 18
http://getsmak.net/

I'm not sure how this compares with free tools like xnormal but I hadn't heard of this before so I thought I'd post it. I think it's still in beta so if anyone sees a need for this tool in their workflow and wants to help direct development with suggestions check it out. It's 15 usd during the beta. It might suck, it might be awesome, or it might be meh.

Here's some copy from his website.

Features

Load and preview your models in 3D and UV space.
Explore the scene with the built-in scene tree.
Render great-looking normal maps using a high-res model and/or from a texture.
Render great-looking ambient occlusion maps up to 2048x2048 in less than a minute.
Generate "color bleed" lighting maps.
Use "Ground occlusion" to easily simulate the effects of the ground.
Parallelized raytracer is super fast, utilizing multicore processors.
Simple and slick user interface, easy to use.

Replies

• mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huh... that's pretty awesome how u can preview the UV and model ripping in realtime on the lowpoly.. :). The only downside is exporting to OBJ, although I could write a script to do that in 1 click probably, but still.

Otherwise, looks awesome, thanks for the link.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Render was really slow for me. Anyone else have an issues with it?
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I'm able to load an obj out of ten, and when i do, i can't use it to load heavy hp meshes like in xnormal. Completely useless.

Oh, i forgot, there is already a topic about this.
  • Vino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! I'm the author.

mLichy, what other file formats would you prefer to see? Loading more file formats is on my to-do list, and I'd like to know what's in the highest demand.

BeatKitano, how large meshes are you trying to load into SMAK? I've tested some fairly high poly stuff but if people are trying to use it for even higher poly stuff I can optimize it for that. Also, if you have trouble loading some .obj's please send them to me so I can fix the loading. email: jrodriguez@getsmak.net

Thanks!
  • Vino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and if you have any suggestions or ideas or bugs please let me know -- I can't improve it if I don't know what problems people are having :)
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    I'm able to load an obj out of ten, and when i do, i can't use it to load heavy hp meshes like in xnormal. Completely useless.

Oh, i forgot, there is already a topic about this.
    Vino wrote: »
    Hi! I'm the author.

This was just like when you're saying something bad about someone who is right behind you ...

Polycount is a sitcom...
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vino wrote: »
    Hi! I'm the author.

mLichy, what other file formats would you prefer to see? Loading more file formats is on my to-do list, and I'd like to know what's in the highest demand.

BeatKitano, how large meshes are you trying to load into SMAK? I've tested some fairly high poly stuff but if people are trying to use it for even higher poly stuff I can optimize it for that. Also, if you have trouble loading some .obj's please send them to me so I can fix the loading. email: jrodriguez@getsmak.net

Thanks!

Sorry, that was rude (i asked about high poly meshes in the other thread and did not get any response), anyway, i'm glad you take it like that, most people would repond aggressively (and i don't blame them, i'm known to be quite lunatic). You're the kind of people I like, not easily offended, so i'm gonna help you :)

OK, so i tried a few things, it looks like if the meshes were too small, the app simply don't load them if it's the case. I suggest you to explain it to the user.

About polycount, the specific file i'm trying to load right now is 88mo in size and 287k tris decimated (zbrush count, not sure its exact since its points), and now it's been 6 minutes in the loading, and still reading texture coordinate data. Stopped the loading after ten.

Now i'm trying with the same mesh without the auto uv tiles in zbrush (i though that may be the problem), and it's still really REALLY slow and my cpu is on a 29% load (quad core q6600).

To be honest, if it can't load such "light" polycount, it's useless to me.

Suggestion: pan tool, when the mesh is pretty high on the y axis, you can't view it as the orbit is centered on 0xyz.

On the other hand, i've not encountered any problem loading an sia file (only one test though)

Anyway, it's a nice start, but i would certainly not buy it at such an early stage. it's lacking basic features (such as light settings, it's over-bright), and probably more i will discover if the polycount capabilities are upgraded).

Keep up the good work, i would'nt spit on a quick and easy normap map/amb map rendering tool.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe support FBX as thats what Autodesk is aiming for - and Autodesk owns everything in the 3d industry.
    Also if some 3d models fail to load it means that your importer code or script is not solid enough. Export OBJ files from several applications with various features and make your code bullet proof against spacing, tab, \n \r variations.
  • Vino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys. You can't take things personally in this business, especially if you want honest feedback :)

I've heard some requests for .max, how important is that to you?

80 megabyte files are definitely much larger than anything I've put through SMAK so far, the biggest I've put through it is 1-2 megabytes. I didn't know people used models that big! I'll have to see what I can do about supporting it.

Now I already have a modest test suite of different .obj files from different programs, but I've exported from all of the programs that I have and made SMAK to work with all of them, but .obj is a very fickle and abused file format and every application exports them slightly differently. I would hugely appreciate if someone would send me some test cases of some .obj models that can't load in SMAK (other than the larger ones of course.)

Also where's the other topic about this?
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind, my memory is quite bad here.

BTW, 80mb is not high, it's medium, i have some decimated meshes in front of me who stand at much higher than that (roughly 200 mb), i didn't optimise them much though, but its just to give you an idea how much it can take without decimation.

As i say, the 80mb one is ONLY 287k tris, imagien with 2/3 millions...