Steam... On linux!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Celebrate good times.. Cmon!

http://www.ozcarguide.com/technology/gaming/3089-steam-for-linux-games

It's a celebration!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M[/ame]

(on a separate note, anyone having issues getting steam to spawn a window in wine 1.1.44)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Who uses linux? :P
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • FicWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This is great to hear. Finally someone providing an easier method to get games on linux. Too bad I've already converted to Win 7. If linux ever got an itunes port, I'd switch back now that this is available.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ZacD wrote: »

One thing is for sure...The Zac wasnt da 1 WHOM used the linux.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Whom

\0/ lolollllolololol
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11

People in the film industry and visual effects use it ... I use to use it all the time for batch rendering massive Shake or After Effect projects because it never crashed.

Also have used it in a Houdini pipeline for massive particle effect caching and rendering.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    linsux

biased much? :P
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19

most webservers in the world.

Not sure they would get much out of steam though!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To those who think 'official' is somewhat like 'official', I should mentioned that it's really official's distant cousin, 'not official'. As in, Valve's not confirmed it yet. While that's mostly moot at this point, I still got somewhat annoyed at some wanker's blog talking out of its arse to get more hits.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blog? Oxford-Zeiss Content & Research Guide is one persons blog?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Well at least we can all agree Linux is better than Apple.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool

or we can go out and get shitfaced with friends :P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Johny wrote: »
    or we can go out and get shitfaced with friends :P
    or we can go out and get shitfaced by ourselves!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You called me mad.. Well.. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW???? HA HA HA HA.. *ahem*

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/17/happy-feat-valve-open-up-about-steam-linux/#more-116478

" Left 4 Dead 2 will be the first game ported and, indeed, there is already a working version. Before release, however, Valve aim “to have L4D2 performing under Linux as well as it performs under Windows”.

You hear this autocad, pixologic, and adobe?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    honestly... if 3dsmax, zbrush, and photoshop ALL had native linux support, i'd be running linux and never looking back.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    This is pretty great news. I'd love to switch to Linux one day, if 3dsmax and zBrush had versions, I'd probably be on it right now.

At any case, I wonder what this means for devs. For a second there I thought they did some magic to get DirectX working on Linux, and that the entire Steam library would be ported over. But that's not the case. Devs would still need to make ports.

Second, I also wonder what that means for players. If I do switch to Linux and install Steam, will I still have my game library? Or do you have to buy a Linux version?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    My Grand Mother uses linux, kubuntu :)

It will be like with Macs, you will have the compatible games only, and no, you won't need to buy the linux version.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    linux is amazing, i wont run my servers on anythign but a linux dsitro and have used it for rendering, and web devlopmeant.

steam on linux, is a waste of time, there aren't enough games for it, and all linux users are tech savy enough to duel boot, or fuck about with wine till things work.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    here's a question... after doing a very quick google search, it appears the reason most of the software developers that matter (Adobe, Autodesk etc.) don't want to develop for linux, is the misconception that all linux users want everything for free, and that it's unfinancially viable for them to put all that much effort/money in only for it to bomb.

now... i totally understand that, but with that in mind... why don't they do something "similar" to a kickstarter style thing? there are certainly linux users out there who would be willing to pay for the software, and indeed the software is often the only reason some people even stay with windows anyway... so why not put the ball firmly in the court of linux users?

"okay guys, so people keep requesting this, but we can't justify the up-front expense... so how about you help us out with that? we need $x to develop the linux version, donate as little or as much as you want".
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hugh wrote: »
    I always thought it wasn't more about free economically but about free as in open source. As in I can add features and improve the software. Of course that does leave room for security but that what looked at about the linux community

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/487814

"Again, we've done the research. The profits aren't there -- very few Linux users are willing to pay for commercial software.And the cost of entry is still high because of the fragmented Linux landscape.

The Linux world has to change before commercial software will have reason to invest in Linux ports.
    And we haven't seen much real change in the Linux market in several years."
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about the rest of you, but this is pretty good news for me. The version of linux that Valve is targeting initially is Ubuntu 12.04, and I have a box with that distro installed. The first game they are porting to linux is Left 4 Dead, and I have a copy of that game already purchased on Steam.

My Ubuntu box is a little older, so it should be a pretty good acid test for how well Steam and the Source engine run on linux. I'll let you all know what kind of performance to expect.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

every android device on the planet. ie (every mobile phone and tablet).

ILM, Weta, Pixar, Mill...

the large film studio all use linux with a few people with an extra windows workstation for various things.

small android/linux tablet sized devices that match the graphics performance of Xbox/PS2 are the whole point of this i think. if you can hook these things up to your tv and play games people will do just that. would you rather buy a xbox game or download the same game with the same performance onto a android/linux tablet with steam? none of the hardware manufacturers want to pay microsoft to use windows on these new devices. and now microsoft wants to copy apple and manufacture there own exclusive hardware. the pc manufacturers can make an android/linux system that does everything your windows pc and your xbox/ps2 can do in one device that fits in your coat pocket.

if, when steam comes out on linux/android i will use it.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linux-based console huh... I'm intrigued.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wasn't the ps3 linux based too?

edit - i remember now, it wasn't necessarily linux based, but you could install a linux OS onto it.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the idea of a 'game console' is ridiculous at this point. it makes me laugh, how everyone likes to point out that tablets are going to replace the old clunky desktop pc. but at the same time the 'game console' is even older then the desktop pc and is a totally obsolete, useless form factor at this point. 'game consoles' were invented as a custom hardware solution because the there was no hardware that could do graphics at the time. but now? even the cheapest mobile phones have OpenGL hardware acceleration and enough memory to store games, video etc.

i think that the hardware manufacturers and the game industry don't need microsoft, sony or the 'game console' anymore as a platform.

valve/asus could probably make more profit giving away a free piece of hardware with a subscription to steam and a few other services for movies etc. then they can in the 'game console market'. the same way that cellphone market works in the US. you get a free 500$ phone and you sign up for a contract.

the market for that sort of thing is much, much bigger then the game console market will ever be.

im not speculating that this is what valve is up to. but i think a lot of people are looking at this new business model and how best to kick microsoft and sony out of the loop and sell games directly to the customer on an open hardware platform that is more useful and appealing to the customer then a 'game console'. its only a matter of time imo.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Andreas wrote: »

Hahaha, dumb troll.

(Posted from my Mac Air, two years later).
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

Our SQL database and web server for our tech-art pipeline runs Linux - doesn't cost a cent and works like a charm. And yes, film studios use it too.

Personally I'd be happy if we could drop all that Microsoft specific stuff in our pipeline. I really prefer Unix' elegant and proven solutions for building pipelines vs. Windows scripting, services, MS SQL Server and what not. Guess the guys at ILM, Weta & Co feel the same.

Then again neither us nor them are a target for steam. Still, it's a good thing it gets supported. Maybe this sparks more interest for Linux on the desktop and inspiring other software vendors to follow suit.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't be happy if the IT department was playing L4D on the web server.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I wouldn't be happy if the IT department was playing L4D on the web server.

ignorance is bliss... oh wait...
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valve is not up to anything other than making a linix client...

Linux, not linix poly133.gif

i'm not speculating that they are. but the question is why Linux? why now? they have been hiring quite a few linux developers in the past year or so. there has to be some business logic for that. you don't just go out and hire a bunch of expensive programmers to work on a rather large project just to make the Linux fan boy's happy. windows has 99% of the desktop pc market. they have to be looking at a larger consumer market. that market has to obviously include Linux. and they have to have some strategy for bringing a variety of games to that platform over a number of years in order to make it a revenue generator. the big market growth in the next few years is going to be small android/Linux tablet/laptop devices that have at least as much graphics power as an xbox/ps3 around the 500$ price point. given the option between a dedicated game console and portable tablet style device that you could also plug into a tv for the same price with the same performance a large % of people would go for the tablet. valve has to be looking at these potential markets.

i think the point is that steam is the 'console'. if you have steam and you have a linux/android device with some graphics power then you have a game console. i would not be surprised if steam starts to show up pre-installed on some sort of Linux/android device sold by asus or one of the other pc manufacturers. or if you buy one of these new devices and steam is available for download i think just about everyone will download it so they can play games.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/487814

"Again, we've done the research. The profits aren't there -- very few Linux users are willing to pay for commercial software.And the cost of entry is still high because of the fragmented Linux landscape.

The Linux world has to change before commercial software will have reason to invest in Linux ports.
    And we haven't seen much real change in the Linux market in several years."

I've heard this argument before and it's seems very myopic. The reason that they refuse to do it is because they can't afford to cover the whole fragmented market and keep control over the distribution of the software. Were they to offer the source code publicly, independent developers could adapt the software to other Linux distributions. However, that undermines their business model. So, since they have to pay programmers to make the software, they want a platform that is consistent among all of their potential customers. This way they only have to pay their programmers once and they don't have to share the source code. This is likely why Valve is working with Canonical. Valve wants to target a single platform so that they don't have to pay people to develop a version for every flavor of Linux.

It's not that the customers aren't there, it's that they can't afford to develop for each and every one of them. Linux users are very willing to pay for good games on Linux. Just look at the Humble Indie Bundle. The segment that pays the most are Linux users. It's not that there aren't enough people willing to pay, it's just too expensive to make commercial software without targeting a single Linux distribution (like Ubuntu).
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overlord wrote: »
    This is likely why Valve is working with Canonical.

wow really? you have any links to that?

if that's true then i think my analysis might have some corroboration. because Canonical's main plan is to target the very market i noted in my last post.

edit:
    l did a little digging on Google and it seems that there is some coordination between Valve and Canonical for steam. that's really great.

Canonical is quite focused on shipping Ubuntu systems/tablets. not just replacing windows on the desktop.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm with this talk of tablets does that mean Valve is going to support arm Ubuntu distros?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It really sounds like Valve just put together a more casual team of internal developers, and gave them permission to work on a Linux port. I don't think this was ever a huge priority, they just allowed for the possibility. It sounds like they have been working on this port for at least two years. (not in any hurry)

I think part of the impetus to start taking it a little more seriously is the recent success of digital storefronts on Ubuntu and Debian. There has always been a presumption that Linux users refused to pay for software, and would only use open-source programs. But the growth of centralized software repositories, and their integration into paid digital distribution has been more profitable than anyone expected. As it turns out, there are plenty of people willing to open up the Ubuntu Software Center and purchase games off of it.

If there are going to be customers in that area, you can be sure that Valve is going to want to reach them.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Valve is not up to anything other than making a linix client...

Valve is up to all kinds of shit.

One reason to put Steam on Linux is that it can start the long, slow process of divorcing Steam from purchased OS's like Windows and OSX. One reason you might do that is to provide better support to Steam's "Big Screen Mode" that Valve announced over a year ago, which is purpose built for using Steam in your living room with a controller.

Valve doesn't have to build a console themselves, but Linux Steam is absolutely about a living room game playing experience that looks like a console, walks like a console, and quacks like a console. Make no mistake.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    That needs full support from every game as well, which will never happen.

I just think they want to fully tap the market no one has managed to tap yet, and if the humble indie bundle taught us anything: the linux crowd pays more in average ;)

Quite a few of the games on steam right now have been ported to linux a long time ago, so that will be quite a few titles that will be available for steam on linux.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really sounds like Valve just put together a more casual team of internal developers

i would generally not think much of this but there has been a steady stream of people that have been hired for the project. companies do not just start hiring new developers unless they have a real project that has gone through all the bean counters, management, planning etc. plus they are porting games, left for dead 2 is the first port. i don't think they would just let some randomly hacked up version of steam be released. and i don't think that anyone would want to do that amount of work for no pay in there spare time + port games.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_sdl&num=1

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEyMzE

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTExMDM

at the very least they are going to deliver a steam that is 'as good' as there windows version. and perhaps set up some infrastructure for porting games. they have done some innovative things in terms of developing new markets. package games, various sales strategies. most of that is very carefully thought out and executed and a bit risky.

the hardware etc is idle speculation i guess. but idle speculation is the mother of invention and creativity. :)
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i came across this interview with Gabe Newell from Valve. he explains whats going on with steam on linux windows 8 and a bunch of other stuff.

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux"

https://allthingsd.com/20120725/valves-gabe-newell-on-the-future-of-games-wearable-computers-windows-8-and-more/
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    steam on ouya!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    gray wrote: »
    i came across this interview with Gabe Newell from Valve. he explains whats going on with steam on linux windows 8 and a bunch of other stuff.

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux"

https://allthingsd.com/20120725/valves-gabe-newell-on-the-future-of-games-wearable-computers-windows-8-and-more/

if Valve can convince devs to start making Linux based games, then Autodesk/Adobe/Pixologic might start to see the financial value of doing the same.

Valve might actually pull off the biggest shift in OS history.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I think this is a good move, but the Linux thing has me wondering...

Didn't Linux and nVidia have a big falling out not too long ago? What will that mean for the platform's ability to play future Steam games?
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the film industry has been using linux for like 10 years. its an absolutely rock solid platform. nvidia drivers are realeased at the same time as windows drivers and they work better in my experience. memory management and disk io are much better also. maya, mudbox, nuke, vray, 3dcoat all work fine
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    ...Didn't Linux and nVidia have a big falling out not too long ago?...

Yes they did: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/6/21/china-nvidia-loses-face-and-a-10-million-pc-order-over-linux-drivers-and-nres.aspx

I have no idea how this will play out though. Hopefully better GPU drivers on Linux from both Nvidia and AMD (and hopefully Intel...).
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Yes they did: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/6/21/china-nvidia-loses-face-and-a-10-million-pc-order-over-linux-drivers-and-nres.aspx

I have no idea how this will play out though. Hopefully better GPU drivers on Linux from both Nvidia and AMD (and hopefully Intel...).

that had nothing to do with linux. the PRC wanted full source code and who knows what else from nvidia. no one in the west will ever be able to buy the systems the cards were intended for. some home brew PRC MIPS knockoff for there primary school computers. obviously nvidia did not get a sale. but it has nothing to do with and no effect on linux at all.

perhaps your talking about when Linux got pissed and gave nvidia the finger lol. i don't think it will have any effect on anything.

linus-torvalds-nvidia-fuck-you.jpg

http://youtu.be/19jUboon5gI
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles

Interview from yesterday with Gabe Newell.
    Speaking to me during a brief interview on the red carpet at the VGAs last night, Newell said Valve's current goal was to figure out how to make PCs work better in the living room. He said the reaction to Steam's TV-friendly Big Picture interface has been "stronger than expected," and that their next step is to get Steam Linux out of beta and to get Big Picture on that operating system, which would give Valve more flexibility when developing their own hardware.

He also expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year—setups that could consist of computers designed to be hooked up to your TV and run Steam right out of the gate. And yes, Newell said, they'd compete with next-gen consoles from companies like Microsoft and Sony.

I seriously hope this happens.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    I agree Gray....this is Valve amking a move into tablet territory. They are going to be the big money maker in the next five years, and Valve needs to have an Android app pretty soon if they want to be surfing the wave.....

Also, i think they are a little bit frightened that microsoft is going to lock down its os, and are looking to linux for an open free platform.

Both seem very sensible ideas to me!