Home General Discussion

Contest/Theme idea?

Hey everyone,

I was just thinking about some projects I could do for personal/portfolio work and I had an idea I though I'd share as it might make a nice contest or theme for people to work on and post their results.

The theme is;

Current-Gen World of Warcraft.

Now I know WoW is technically a 'current' game, and it's graphical style is what makes it unique I guess. But I thought it might be cool to attempt a take on WoW using a current-gen workflow.

So I'm thinking take any World of Warcraft character, building, or scene and create a version that you might expect to see in a current-gen game. So normal maps, higher tri count, more apparent specular detail, etc.

I'm tempted to say only handpainted textures too, although photo-sourcing could produce an interesting take I guess.

The only restriction I think would be that it has to be a recognizable WoW character/building, so the designs should just be 'modernized' rather than redesigned.

I know a contest involves admin etc, so maybe just a themed thread would be better, but I thought I'd offer it up and see what people thought!

Replies