Home General Discussion

Central KY flooding

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snemmy polycounter lvl 18
I don't really know if this was picked up nationally but our region was hit with some MAJOR flooding yesterday. We had HEAVY downpour all day long.

Here's a pic from earlier in the evening:
100_0185.jpg
Here's just a few minutes ago, you can get a sense of how high the water was.
100_0186.jpg
I can't tell you how many stupid people drove through that. We saw a VW Beetle get stuck because they drove through and then came BACK through.

The flood waters actually got up over the fire hydrant there and up onto that building's windows. That would be waist deep on my 5'10" height. Town was flooded up to Main Street, another block and half away from us. Thankfully our apartment is on the second floor. The daycare downstairs was completely flooded. Our electric went out at around 11pm and stayed off until nearly noon.

When i came home from work I had to park a block away on a bit of a rise. An hour later I went to check on my car after the water rose another foot. It was 3 inches up my tires, so I moved the car further into town and up the hill into the St Claire Medical Center parking lot, which if that was flooded, well bye-bye Kentucky!

In the background you can see Triplett Creek. That brown water over the bank there behind the tree, that's about 15ft above flood stage. In the background you can see Pennzoil, Movie Gallery, KFC and the movie theater. All flooded under several fee.

Many friends were flooded out of their homes. Some have lost much.
Oh and it's finals week for campus. They posted a two hour delay due to high water. Many many many people are pissed off about that. Town is pretty much a disaster zone and it's business as usual.

There were some people out in rowboats trying to help trapped people.
Unfortunately they almost killed a friend and flooded some apartments when they opened the door that had been barricaded and let 2 foot more of water into the hallway.

I've heard FEMA is supposed to help out/pay for damages.. We'll see how that goes.
No one has seen any emergency vehicles or anything other than the usual.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Damn, I just hope you and your friends/family are okay. Did you park your cars on some higher ground? cause that convertible looks like it would of been completely flooded.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    *coughblogpostcough*
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    *cough-this-is-less-bloggy-than-the-I-have-artist-block-thread-cough*
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If anyone makes a blog comment you'll get yourself an infraction. Just report it to us and let us deal with it if you really have an issue with it.

snemmy - that sucks dude. How did you (and aesir?) make out throughout all of this?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    What a bummer - as a KY native (Louisville) I'm pretty familliar with flooding, especially so close to the Ohio.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I heard that Tennessee was getting hit good too... stay safe.

btw, I can't help to wonder, why the hell do you need a firetruck when the place is covered in water? ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Geeze I didn't know about this! Hope you're doing well, I need to check with my family :S
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    @notman, this is why. http://cache.io9.com/assets/resources/2008/05/chilevolcano.jpg water can't save you from everything.

Kentucky isn't getting hit by a volcano :P

Besides, I'm just joking anyway. Obviously, rains like that can cause electrical fires. It just struck me as funny.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD: I had come home from work and our street was already flooded, so I parked in a close plaza. That flooded so I moved it up to the hill the hospital is on, well out of harm's way. My car is the blue Neon. Where it is sitting in that picture, the water level would have completely covered the hood. The convertible was parked somewhere else, but the water would have spilled over the edge of the door where it is sitting there.. I wish I had been able to get a picture of the maximum height of the water. It's hard to get a good sense of the scale.

Blenderhead: Thanks for that. I really honestly appreciate your touching heartfelt concern at the very real danger I, my family and friends had to go through, the millions and millions of dollars in property damage, the lives lost, people are without water and electricity for at least 3-4 days and the long hard clean up process that this town and those across a quarter of the state will endure for the coming weeks and months. By the way, thanks for your taxes that will go to clean this mess up.

Adam: Me and my two roommates, along with the three other apartments came out pretty well. Their vehicles will need a bit of cleaning though. A lot of friends are having to move from their apartments though. :( It wasn't nearly as bad an hour away where my parents and brother live.

Notman: The fire truck was trying to find a route through. They went a few feet and then turned around, probably to find a back way through town. That section of road was blocked off when I came home about an hour before that picture. I guess the fire trucks/cops were called away and the safety cones washed away. I was just waiting to look out my window and see town ablaze. Though with the amount of rainfall coming down, it may have been put out naturally. :s

Slum: I've seen the Ohio get majorly high further east. I don't want to imagine what would have happened with a real river instead of a creek. D:

More pics from around the region: http://wkyt.mycapture.com/mycapture/photos/Album.aspx?EventID=254132&CategoryID=27735
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    *coughblogpostcough*

~ Stop being a dick. Nobody is asking you to fill a quota, so stop.