Home Technical Talk

How to join cylinders?

Hey there,

I'm having some modeling issues trying to join two cylinders together.

I just want to connect the two cylinders where they intersect and have a smooth transition between the two. Kinda like how a bike frame is welded together.

I've looked at both Sathe's method, and Ben Tate's which is simlar, but the problem (unless I'm missing something) is that it only works when the adjoining cylinder is of a certain size in comparison to the other cylinder.

In this case, I need the cylinders to be a specific size... .13 units and .16 units.

Using the method in Sathe's tut isn't working because the cuts are too close to the existing edges which results in pinching when TS'd.

Of course, it may be possible to adapt the method to make it work but I'm having trouble.

I know a simple alternative would be to just shove the cylinder into the other and use mentalRays hard edge bevelling thing but I feel I should really know how to model it properly.

I get the impression this is one of those situations where there is a way of doing it that can apply to any size cylinders... I just don't know that way of doing it!

Here's a screenshot explaining it... if you wanna try it, I'm using a 12 sided cylinder of .16 units radius, and an 8 sided at .13 units... only the size difference is important, if I need to up the number of sides then that's no problem.

joinpipes.jpg

Replies