Home Technical Talk

Maya 2011: UI color

How can I, if at all, change UI color in maya 2011.
You know, 2010 and earlier had this grayish light UI, but new one has this dark one which makes my head hurt after using for long time.

At school we switched to 2011 and so I'd like to know if it's possible to change color.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno if there's a way to change it globally (would be weird if there isn't, but hey, this is Maya!). However you can change it for the main window.

Type this in the MEL script command line and execute it:

window -e -bgc 0.7 0.7 0.7 $gMainWindow

Where 0.7 0.7 0.7 is the RGB value you want (range 0-1).

Since it's just for the main window and not any of the menus/windows, it'll probably be a bit weird. I'll see if there's a way to change it for all windows and menus via script.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I find it strange how a few people don't like the new dark ui. The bright grey was definitely harder on the eyes. Which is why I loved Max 2010's default layout.
    As for changing the ui color, ditto what MoP says.

Isn't there a UI customization window where you can change all the colors of every single window/toolbar? Or is that max-only?
  • 2dfxman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    I find it strange how a few people don't like the new dark ui. The bright grey was definitely harder on the eyes. Which is why I loved Max 2010's default layout.
    As for changing the ui color, ditto what MoP says.

Isn't there a UI customization window where you can change all the colors of every single window/toolbar? Or is that max-only?
    Well, I personally can't look at black bg+light text for long, then my head starts to hurt. I know a lot of people like dark UIs, but I just can't use them for longer than 30 mins.

And as far as I could find, no there isn't UI color changer like in max.
    Maybe I am looking somewhere wrong, and I hope so, otherwise I can't work with the new maya.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Prophecies: As far as I can tell they have not included any customisation options, which is quite strange.

After looking through various threads on CGSociety and other places, it seems like the QT framework supports "themes" (as shown here), but apparently this theme support is currently broken in Maya (not sure why).

I hope they will patch in something to support this soon, it would be much nicer to be able to use custom themes.
  • 2dfxman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knowing autodesk if it comes, it will only in maya 2012 or something :D
    Oh well, going to use 2010 for now. Hope they fix it.
  • THNKR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try
    maya -style cleanlooks

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Holy hell, THNKR, where did you find out about that! Is there a list of available styles somewhere?

(For other people who might not entirely get his cryptic post, you need to put the "-style cleanlooks" flag at the end of your Maya shortcut and re-launch the program).

Edit: More info and screenshots of available styles here:
    http://www.toxik.sk/?p=56

I might go with Plastique...
  • 2dfxman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THNKR wrote: »
    try
    maya -style cleanlooks

Very very thanks man
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Man this is so awesome, I much prefer lighter theme..