Home Technical Talk

Maya : PSD network & unwanted transparency

[Update] I kinda solved my problem, I would like to now what is the best workflow to texture in Photoshop and see the result in Maya without too many button pressing.

Hello everyone,

I am texturing in Photoshop a model I made in Maya 2010. I am using the PSD Network feature (not quite sure I use it right because it is a pain to visualise the modification of the texture in Maya) and for some reasons my entire model gets a level of transparency I fail to remove.
(and there is no alpha channel in my photoshop file, only RGB)

transparence.jpg

It sometimes happens too when I just apply a png as a texture (not sure what type of texture I should use : I am hand painting the texture with no mapping what so ever, I use Blinn in that case)

transparence2.jpg

It is making me mad as I can't really see what the texture exactly looks like with the transparency on and I would like to make small render to make animated gif (but obviously can't).

Your help would be greatly appreciated !!

Cheers,

Raph

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Just break the connection in the transparency slot.

Why it does this? Not really sure.
    You said there was no Alpha Channel? Is there a dedicated transparency folder in your layers list?
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Depend if you saved your Psd file and PNG file with an alpha layer.

As said Kodde, if you do not need of the alpha channel, just broke the connection on the material.

If you need the transparency, alpha is shit under Maya this is not a news...
    You need to separate all objects as single objects, and it should be ok...
  • cornu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advices !
    Actually, in the material network there is no transparency (!?). There is only (from memory, I am at work) the "material geometry" object, the Blinn color and the model it is applyed to. I will try to post a screenshot when I get home.

I found a workaround : I delete the connection between the objet and the blinn color, then undo (ctrl-Z) and the new connection has no transparency in it. Though, when I update my texture and want to see how it looks after a few try the transparency pops back in for some reason (it is random)

What is your workflow when you paint in photoshop and want to see the result in Maya !?
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    try turning on polygon transparency sorting in the viewport 'Shading' menu
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    chronic wrote: »

Doesn't work with High Quality though T_T
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cornu wrote: »
    I found a workaround : I delete the connection between the objet and the blinn color, then undo (ctrl-Z) and the new connection has no transparency in it. Though, when I update my texture and want to see how it looks after a few try the transparency pops back in for some reason (it is random)

Yeah... I sometime have the same problem with lightmap...
    Deleting node and ctrl+Z will finally update the preview in the viewport. But this really random and depend of the connection on my multi layered material...

You can also add this command on a shortcut to reload automatically all textures files in your scene.
    It doesn't always resolve the problem, but help to get better.

======== Code Start ===============

global proc SAMA_ReloadTexture ()
    {
    string $fileList[] = `ls -type "file"`;

for ($fileNode in $fileList)
    {
    string $ftn = `getAttr ($fileNode + ".ftn")`;

print ("\n\t- file \t= " + $fileNode + " ;");
    print ("\n\t\t- ftn \t= " + $ftn + " ;\n");

setAttr -typ "string" ($fileNode + ".ftn") $ftn ;
    }
    }

======== Code End ===============
    chronic wrote:

No really... In my Maya better is to separate objects... transparent polygons in one object are very bad deal with Maya :(
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get the same shit. I break the transparency connection but every time I refresh the psd file it auto creates another transparency connection
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I'm not sure if it's what you want, but if you dont want transparency after a file reload, just lock it (right click on transparency label)
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    00Zero wrote: »
    I get the same shit. I break the transparency connection but every time I refresh the psd file it auto creates another transparency connection

Something I do not understand is why do you work with you psd under Maya?
    I think it could be better for you graphical card to work with tga or png under maya... I do not know how Maya deal with Psd in the viewport... but it could be a solution to your problem.

In Photoshop you have a cool feature called "Actions", it allows you to work with your PSD file in Photoshop and your texture file you are using in Maya.
    And it will automatically save you psd on your texture oncethe record will be done one time...

There is also another way to save your psd file directly as psd or tga in you directory with some Javascript...

Here is a exemple : http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=71754