Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2011 - Hotkeys broken?

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
I just istalled Max 2011, and none of the hotkeys work.

Not even the default stuff like Alt+W to Maximize viewport.

I looked in the customize tab and it's setup properly, but nothing works.

Anyone experienced this before?

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    There's the keyboard hotkey override toggle in the menu bar at the top of the screen. The icon that looks like a keyboard key with a T on it. Trying turning that on or off.

All the hotkeys are context sensitive, but most don't work except in the very narrow circumstance that they are assigned. If you want to set custom hotkeys, you either have to keep toggling that button on an off, or strip the hotkey form all the menus except for the one you want. That way it will become more global and won't be disabled by being in the wrong menu.

Haven't used Max 2011, but I assume it hasn't changed much.
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    What I mean is, nothing works.

QWE for move/scale/rotate.

Alt+W to Max Viewport.

No Custom Hotkeys.

And the override Toggle button has no effect on this.
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    so the x86 version works fine, so it must be something I installed.

But all I isntalled was Textools, and Unwrap Tools 1.7, that shouldn't affect it would it?
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    CJE wrote: »
    so the x86 version works fine, so it must be something I installed. But all I isntalled was Textools, and Unwrap Tools 1.7, that shouldn't affect it would it?
    not that i know. Its just a collection of scripts - not something that modifies any existing max files.
    Does the alt key with the viewport navigation work? Or the shift key when duplicating objects or the global F1 key for the help files?
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I had a similar problem. A chat program I use, called Digsby, was conflicting with my Max hotkeys. It could be something similar. I'd try shutting down any other software running, that might fix the problem.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I had a problem with my middle mouse key before that was caused by an external program (called 7plus, which is made using autohotkey).
    The cause of your problem could be some other program, possibly something scripted in autohotkey.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Necro... I just had this happen...an easy solution is to delete the 3dsmax.ini

(X): \Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\20(XX) - (X)bit\enu\3dsmax.ini

make sure you have your folder option to show hidden files...hopefully that saves some future WTF! moments...
  • Mr.Cash
    This thread saved my life :)
    low odor wrote: »
    Necro... I just had this happen...an easy solution is to delete the 3dsmax.ini

(X): \Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\20(XX) - (X)bit\enu\3dsmax.ini

make sure you have your folder option to show hidden files...hopefully that saves some future WTF! moments...

THX
  • ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    yeah, wow! thanks for the fix... ahhh max, what other hidden horrors do you have waiting? I thought I ran into most of them! But with max the adventure never stops ;)