Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ACS Helmet

helmethighpolydone.jpg

This is a Bust helmet project i started about a week or two ago.
The picture is a viewport grab from 3dsMax, which is new to me since
ive eariler only been familiar with Highpoly-lowpoly workflow in Maya

So far im only done with the highpoly and just started doing some lowpoly parts and some baking tests.
All the colors are WIP and ill probably move closer to the concept when i come to the texture.

I might do a full character at some point but my lack of longterm
commitment to the same project keeps me from doing it all at once so
i try to aiming at finishing the helmet, im still a little unsure on the normalmap baking part so i want to concentrate on getting that part as good as possible.

The model is based on Shimmering Swords original Concept group called ACS
After doing an initial base model of the concept he also helped me concept up details and sketch ideas for parts not shown in his existing work.

His deviant art page can be found at
http://shimmering-sword.deviantart.com/

Some of the concepts the model is based of:

Await_the_Sniper_by_Shimmering_Sword.jpg

As_One_by_Shimmering_Sword.jpg

Replies

• JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    Nice man, very clean looking. Im sure he is proud of what you did with his concept.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sweet helmet and good character designs to work from you going all the way to lowpoly?
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool helmet. that's way awesome maybe you should change the color instead of looking at ref(invent your own palette or somethin
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, doing a lowpoly atm.

Im still trying to balance the necks lowpoly, i want to get the thickness of the muscle suit, but so far, just modeling it flat and baking it generally looks better. But it makes the muscles flat, still got a few things to try there.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    That is cool. I wish i could do that one day, work together this close with a concept guy.
  • drunkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drunkill polycounter lvl 10
    The helmet reminds me of a design for the canceled EA game TIBERIUM, where the hero character had some funky Iron man like helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtA3zXkDue8#t=0m40s

I quite like the design of the helmet in the second concept picture, the one the guy with the electric sword is wearing.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, its funny to see people modelling stuff from guys i know.

Shim has kinda been my art nemesis since the time when we were both shit artists :P.

The model itself looks good, but i would have to say that the shape language you are usning is alot different from that of shims style. Too many small fiddly details that dont match the overall forms, and the edges of the large forms are also too sharp. What he tends to do with his large plates is make them organically "flow" into one another, they are not just different geometric shapes stuck together, and treating them as such will just look wrong.

That reminds me that i should go and finish that concept for jonny....
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might be a bit more in detail style, but he did help me out with the detailing on some points and agreed with the style, it will always be somewhat different when you mix another artist into it, since people have their own style.

He also did some paintover on my model for ideas and referencing so hes been a great part of the process.

Here are a few more pictures with different lighting, no colors this time

helmet2.jpg
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pretty much finished of my lowpoly model, but im still a bit unsure if i should uvmap and bake the normals to some parts and mirroring those parts, (thinking of the earpiece and other smaller details that are only visible one side at a time, having them share the uv space) while giving the main parts unique Uv space for both sides.

Will it cause problems in the end? im probably gonna use toolbag, but im unsure of how it handles models that use the same normalmap but is mirrored in the world.

I would really appreciate some technical help with this, since baking is still something im a bit unsure on.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    mirror everything except the panels down the centre and the mouth peice, and add some nice obvious asymetry here
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baking is finally done!
    I followed Shepeiros tip and flipped it all, works out great!
    It landed on a little less than 5000 tris, now to do the texture.

Here is a screengrab from max viewport, gonna either put it into marmoset or use Xoliuls
    3dsmax shader

helmet1n.jpg
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good, wireframe?
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    For some reason it reminds me of MGS4. It looks like a mask that would be worn by a character in the Beauty and the Beast Squad. Nice work.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Great work so far! Any chance we could see the bakes and a wire? :)
    Love artist too, thanks for sharing!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks really great man, I like it a lot. Would love to see a wireframe on that bad boy :)
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    helmet3.jpg

Base texture set up, im trying out alot of color schemes atm and really trying to nail what it should be like. Details and scratches will be worked on more in detail later when ive really got the look i want. im also trying to work out extra stuff i can add in the normalmap.

The wire could be better but i really wanted to nail some of the details, since they didnt turn out well when normalmapped, specially the thinkness of the nanosuit muscles.
  • Famouz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Famouz polycounter lvl 8
    So awesome. Kind of Crysis, but I love it.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good so far, not sure about the honeycomb pattern though, maybe if you hid it more in the specular, just personal taste really.
    Solid mesh.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    It remainds me a lil bit of Hellgate London Marksmen helmet
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, your attention to detail and just the flow of the highpoly is excellent. I do have to agree with your decision of having the extra tris to define the thickness of the muscle pads, makes it look much more highpoly. I do think that at this point the hex weave is a bit overdone; I'd go with something either woven like carbon fiber or kevlar, or do some type of striations like muscle. (Like the suits in the movie The Cell) Mind giving us a wire of the highpoly? I always like analyzing edge flow to learn better Sub-d :P