Home General Discussion

Jon Stewert Slams Apple over Gizmodo case, too funny to pass up :D

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
http://tv.gawker.com/5526868/jon-stewart-slams-apple-over-its-handling-of-gizmodo-case

I thought the whole thing was a bit ridiculous. It was their fault in the first place. Some noob employee leaving it at a bar... Then apple was like, psh, it wasn't a real prototype anyway. Then once Gizmodo started showing it off, they start busting down doors? Lmao. I'm sorry, I've always hated the whole Apple hype. This is just too good to be true for me. Jon Stewert sums up the hilarity perfectly :D

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Actually gizmodo made Jobs officially ask for it back - I think that was enough, pretty humbling for the company and a leg up for gizmodo. Apple soon after filed a report with the police, because of the phones intellectual property (this is not just any old police, it's the team that handle corporate espionage issues in Silicon Valley) . They would be daft not to, and the police did their job.

On one hand, Gizmodo are guilty of purchasing stolen goods knowingly, which is a crime regardless (the guy who found the phone should have given it to the bar keeper legally). But also Apple were stupid for not taking the report of the missing phone seriously before the guy sold it to gizmodo.

Also I think he should have asked for $150,000 - but not from Gizmodo... ;) Hell Nokia would have probably paid a mill or so.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    There are cops out there specifically trained to beat down nerds who steal unreleased tech products? I bet getting that gig is more competitive than game art.

Oh, and bahaha! That was good, and fair... maybe even balanced? But i digress...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    hawken is it really considered STOLEN? The Apple employee lost it at a bar... don't know about any laws regarding purchasing something in lost and found...seems pretty janky that Apple would agree to have it handed off and call the police anyways...this wasn't another corporation getting it's secrets, it was a guy on a gadget site pointing out stuff on the product's exterior. It'd be interesting to know the legality of it but it certainly seems like one of those situations where Apple should be glad it didn't turn out worse and maybe increase their prototype security standards.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The guy who found it tried to contact apple to return it, but they didn't believe him when he said he had a prototype, so then he sold it to gizmodo. I think that counts as due diligence.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    As my childhood always taught me...

finders keepers, losers weepers
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    The guy who found it tried to contact apple to return it, but they didn't believe him when he said he had a prototype, so then he sold it to gizmodo. I think that counts as due diligence.

Cmon, Hawken, put the I-koolaid down.

Given the above, and further, that the police did NOT have the right legally to search a reporters house. Your making one hell of a strawman defense.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    BTW what would you have to do to figure out how to get the phone back to its owner? I haven't a clue, you have a list of names and numbers and the number of the phone, but not a number to the owner as you have the phone!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Autocon wrote: »
    As my childhood always taught me...

finders keepers, losers weepers

That and who ever has the newest stuff is the coolest kid.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    hawken is it really considered STOLEN?

yeah sure, ask any lawyer.

just because a guy found it in a bar, doesn't mean it's his. Same for any one of us. If you find something, it's not legally yours. The guy had no right to take it from the bar.

Also, who's to say that the police didn't have the right to enforce a search warrant? A blogger isn't a journalist. I'm sure they are aware of the law just as much as Gizmodo prepared for such a search.

Believe me, just because I make apps on a mac, doesn't mean I drink the koolaid. Far from it, I have my own battles with Apple! ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Apple seems a bit too crazy about protecting their prototypes when they just rehash the same products over and over, and everyone knew what the iPad was months before it was released. Everyone knows this iphone will pretty much be like the last iphone, but with some more features its been missing for YEARS.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only thing I'm looking forward to is that the phone is MOSTLY battery!

If it one thing the iPhone needs, it's longer battery life.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    and a better network.
  • sinistergfx
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I'm impressed, a Spruce Goose AND a Logan's Run joke!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    hawken wrote: »
    A blogger isn't a journalist.

In the US a full time blogger is a journalist. I also believe that in order for something to be stolen, you have to steal it. Picking up something a person dropped doesn't count.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    hawken wrote: »
    yeah sure, ask any lawyer.

Okay, let's ask! :)

It's not considered stolen property, it's considered found property. While the finder of lost property is still obligated under the law to try to return it, it's the huge difference between civil and criminal charges in how it's prosecuted.

The finder of the iPhone abided by California Civil Code section 2080 in taking custodianship of the phone and making a good faith effort to return it, but violated 2080.1 by failing to turn it over to the police when the owner did not respond.

Nothing in the CCC mandates leaving lost property where you found it.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=02001-03000&file=2080-2080.10

Also, who's to say that the police didn't have the right to enforce a search warrant? A blogger isn't a journalist.

Sure he's a journalist. The California Court of Appeals set precedent on this four years ago, ironically in a case involving Apple and leaked secrets. In that case, Apple tried to sue a blog to obtain emails that would show the source of an internal leak. The appellate court ruled against Apple, and in doing so established that the CA Reporter's Shield Law applied to blogs and websites.

http://www.internetlibrary.com/cases/lib_case430.cfm

The only thing Gizmodo/Gawker are really looking at here as a liability is the claim that they knowingly paid money for goods of questionable origin. Realistically, I expect they understood that this purchase was some shaky pudding, but thought the gain was worth potential charges. Legally, I'm sure they'll argue what I mentioned above, that they acquired lost property rather than stolen, which is again a civil charge. They'll also get bonus points in court for returning the property to its rightful owner once a legitimate claim was made and without legal intervention.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Gizmodo/Gawker purchase questionable content.
    Apple files police report for lost possibly stolen corporate property.
    Police bust in on Gizmodo/Gawker employee's home with an erroneous search warrant.
    Apple is evil corporate entity that violated a journalist's rights with home invasion.

Shifting blame much? o.O?
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    The finder of the iPhone abided by California Civil Code section 2080 in taking custodianship of the phone and making a good faith effort to return it, but violated 2080.1 by failing to turn it over to the police when the owner did not respond.
    I thought that Apple did respond, and basically said they didn't believe him.

Also, I'm snemmy here. Apple was right in reporting it, and they didn't really have any say in how the police responded. This seems more of an overreaction on part of the the police than Apple.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy wrote: »
    Person finds the 4G iphone and trys to give it back.
    Apple claims its not a 4G.
    Gizmodo/Gawker purchase questionable content.
    Apple asks for it back, and is given it back.
    Apple files police report for lost possibly stolen corporate property.
    Police bust in on Gizmodo/Gawker employee's home with an erroneous search warrant.
    Apple is evil corporate entity that violated a journalist's rights with home invasion.

Shifting blame much? o.O?

Fixed!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krynn72 wrote: »
    I thought that Apple did respond, and basically said they didn't believe him.

Yeah, there was something like that. The guy definitely made an effort to return it, but likely didn't realize he needed to contact the police after. Actually, if there's any documentation where an Apple rep told him not to bother returning it (assuming it was a fake/hoax), he might have grounds for claiming it's his via the owner abandoning it. Just guessing on that, though.
    Also, I'm snemmy here. Apple was right in reporting it, and they didn't really have any say in how the police responded. This seems more of an overreaction on part of the the police than Apple.

Two things on this. One, Apple filed the criminal complaint after they had contacted Gizmodo about recovering the device. That makes their complaint less about recovering property than it is about revenge (Gawker Media and Apple famously do not get along.) I can see how Apple's following through on a criminal complaint looks tacky to a lot of people.

Two, Apple actually does have some say in how this police team responded to this crime. The unit responsible for investigating computer and tech-related crimes in California is called REACT - Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team. There are 25 public tech companies on the REACT steering committee, which provide traning, support and personnel for the team's investigations. One of those companies on the committee is... yep, Apple Inc. That's not proof of anything, but it's enough to raise eyebrows in a case that has police ramming in someone's front door over a lost cellphone that's already been returned to the owner.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1795
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Yeah, there was something like that. The guy definitely made an effort to return it, but likely didn't realize he needed to contact the police after. Actually, if there's any documentation where an Apple rep told him not to bother returning it (assuming it was a fake/hoax), he might have grounds for claiming it's his via the owner abandoning it. Just guessing on that, though.

Two things on this. One, Apple filed the criminal complaint after they had contacted Gizmodo about recovering the device. That makes their complaint less about recovering property than it is about revenge (Gawker Media and Apple famously do not get along.) I can see how Apple's following through on a criminal complaint looks tacky to a lot of people.

Two, Apple actually does have some say in how this police team responded to this crime. The unit responsible for investigating computer and tech-related crimes in California is called REACT - Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team. There are 25 public tech companies on the REACT steering committee, which provide traning, support and personnel for the team's investigations. One of those companies on the committee is... yep, Apple Inc. That's not proof of anything, but it's enough to raise eyebrows in a case that has police ramming in someone's front door over a lost cellphone that's already been returned to the owner.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1795

Okay, that's a better explanation of the 'police' force that was mentioned and changes things quite a bit. I'm seeing too much 'post first, fact find later' concerning this incident all over the tech sites I follow.

Still, an interesting story but the nerd-rage is blowing things a bit out of proportion on a blown out of proportion case.

x.x;;
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Who the hell is TomDunne? :)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who the hell is TomDunne? :)

Many have asked this question... if you find out, be sure to let me know :D

Actually, I guess people here probably don't know me anymore since I'm not in the industry. I was almost famous back about ten years ago, for a mod I made for the original Half-Life. Polycount's largely moved on from being mod-oriented artists to pros, but I've sort of hung around. Mainly for the sex. But the cat threads are good, too.

Embarrassing old mod video awesomeness - check out that totally sweet wall flip at 1:34!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tspL6W0NR4[/ame]
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy wrote: »
    Still, an interesting story but the nerd-rage is blowing things a bit out of proportion on a blown out of proportion case.
    Seeing as Apple has spent the last few months pissing off practically everyone, I think this falls under 'karma'. It doesn't change the out-of-proportion part, but they deserve all the negative publicity nerds can muster up right now. Maybe it will make them stop being lying sociopaths for five seconds.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I take it back then, not being an expert on law. Does seem pretty heavy handed on the polices part.

When you think about the cock-block they did on Adobe, this does appear to a have slight tinge of karma!

PS that video is great
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although, the Gizmondo guy is on record for saying they paid 5,000 to LOOK (inspect?) at the phone.

Technically they didn't buy it.

It was stated as such in a podcast they gave.