Home General Discussion

Ekil Steenberg's LOVE Tools Demo

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
quite amazing stuff, worth a watch. could change the way homebrews make 3d models, and the way dev teams work together on assets.

Also, I don't think this guy has heard of something we humans refer to as "sleep".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIA2g8T6Hw[/ame]

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    4:50 and forward is like Christmas
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    very impressive, is this all one person?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Ah yeah I've seen this a while ago I think, love it :). The tools programmer of my dreams...
    I love how he just made simple tools that do exactly what he needs for LOVE, instead of relying the big packages. You couldn't make gears of war with his tools, but they are perfectly straight to the point for LOVE, very inspiring :).
    Really really really want LOVE to be good though.. but I just couldn't understand what I was supposed to do when I tried it :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    You've probably already seen my standpoint on his stuff, but I'll say it again, it looks pretty from this viewpoint, but you don't actually want to use it.

Ui following little rules or making no sense, bright explosions when you do something.

Bram, I mean his love game is pretty much finished as you see it, and he won't fix the playability due to the praise the non-playability visuals has been getting, and that will come around due to the game not getting any players, (which it hasn't had)

I love the verse protocol, but with his tools, games, ui's, he should be criticised more, and he should try listen more to what people already have said about how he does things when it comes to usability, please, no more praising until he does that.
  • Synthesizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
    I tried the modeling tool, but I couldn't make anything useful with it, the UI was way to hard to understand and unintuitive. The same was true when I tried the game itself. The ideas behind what he's doing are quite interesting, but the execution is quite lacking, and seems to only work for his workflow.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it mostly stems from him doing this alone. I think in a bigger team, or picked up by a company, this tool could have the UI improvements it needs.

That's also the point of the above video I guess (which is a year old), it's only a matter of time
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    wait theres like a lens flare flash every time you do something?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    sampson wrote: »

Not every time, when you split in a vertex there is a grand burst of stars (I kid you not), I just tried it out.

Hawken, there are alot of lone developers out there who can actually do proper interfaces and stuff that is usable and has a purpose.

Eskil has a whole (as he puts it) mmo out now, he has customers paying for an ongoing service, and he is not changing things according to what the customers wish for, they're paying 10e a month for a piece of interactive modern art and only he has a saying on how the experience should be.
    There are alot more lone indie developers out there doing wonderful stuff, but they dont get the same attention as eskil has.

Xnormal and crazybump has done way more, these guys actually listen to what the users want.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They are all his own personal tools for this own needs, its all interesting, really cool stuff, IMO
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    this guy and his tools with his unique twist have been around for quite a few years. i remember playing with the modeller shown in that video - or an earlier version, dubbed quel solaar or something equally weird, at least five years ago. why would he be shopping for a buyout just now...?
    seems more like a commited indie, perhaps similar in "my way" attitude to the pixologic guy(s?).

anyway, good stuff.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tools are horrid to work with, but I wish Verse saw more widespread adoption. Or --just for starters--, not having to jump through so many hoops to get something in-game just to preview some changes you did.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Hawken, there are alot of lone developers out there who can actually do proper interfaces and stuff that is usable and has a purpose.

Eskil has a whole (as he puts it) mmo out now, he has customers paying for an ongoing service, and he is not changing things according to what the customers wish for, they're paying 10e a month for a piece of interactive modern art and only he has a saying on how the experience should be.
    There are alot more lone indie developers out there doing wonderful stuff, but they dont get the same attention as eskil has.

Xnormal and crazybump has done way more, these guys actually listen to what the users want.

I dunno, what you've written here makes me like him more.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like he has enough subscribers to keep him going and doing what he sees fit. It's not like he will get more players if he makes his tools and interfaces look like AutoCAD. I feel game itself and tools work together to form some sort of user experience, so they need to look and feel similar, hence all the lensflare bubbly stuff.

Xnormal and Crazybump are cool, but last time I checked they were production tools, not pieces of entertainment.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    The real-time UV changes as you push and pull on the model is nifty.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Sandro wrote: »
    Seems like he has enough subscribers to keep him going and doing what he sees fit. It's not like he will get more players if he makes his tools and interfaces look like AutoCAD. I feel game itself and tools work together to form some sort of user experience, so they need to look and feel similar, hence all the lensflare bubbly stuff.

Xnormal and Crazybump are cool, but last time I checked they were production tools, not pieces of entertainment.

He doesn't have enough. If you would have actually tried LOVE then you will know that there is nobody online the majority of the times you login, and because his interfaces aren't autocad it means you can't find your own position in the world, you dont have your own name, you can't find others in the world, there's barely any indication of anything (also a part of the experience)

Most people have complained about the graphical fluff being downright uneeded and people are getting headaches and feeling sick from it, the responce from eskil has been.. nothing.

And no, his tools are not the part of the experience, they're tools he uses to create the game, but I do wish that max would be an lcd trip the next time I hit work.

this pretty much sums it up: http://news.quelsolaar.com/#comments69
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    What Pea said. Verse is a pretty awesome concept, and it would be nice to see that sort of thing adopted/developed (it's like an entire step up from Unity's art pipeline).

As for Eskil, I looked through the comments on eld's link, and... wow.
    Skapad av Eskil Steenberg tis, mars 30, 2010 19:48:05

This is not a very good place for customer service. If you are having problems send me an email, and/or join teamspeak. If you don't send me proper feedback there is little i can do. Any time the servers is not up is time that wont be deducted form your account. I try to fix bugs and maintain the servers as best as I can but I have trouble doing that for instance while sleeping.

Dear Chris, could you please send me an e-mail so that I can refund your money so that i never have to hear from you again?

That was in response to what I felt was a pretty level-headed critique. Makes me kinda glad I lost interest in the project long before release.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    hawken wrote: »
    Also, I don't think this guy has heard of something we humans refer to as "sleep".

It's OK I sleep enough for two.
    sampson wrote: »

Let's not have another thread like that AK thread from a while back ;P

Yah this guy is amazing.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you would have actually tried LOVE then you will know that there is nobody online the majority of the times you login
    I would have, if there were some sort of trial available which would let me run around and check things out for hour or two. :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    People have been asking quite alot for the possibility of a love trial, but it seems extremely unlikely.

try to find someone who already has an account, and you could probably borrow that guys friend-account.