Home General Discussion

Selling my workstation

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Riki polycounter lvl 9
I apologize is this is in appropriate and I hope this post doesn't get deleted but I just put my workstation up on ebay and it includes the eat3d collection and some other stuff. I would consider this "helpful to creating or learning about videogame art" :).

Its a really great computer that has served me well and is still in great shape but Im looking to use something else.

Its a Mac Pro with 2 - 2.8GHz Xeon processors, 16GB of ram, 2.32TB of harddrive, Windows 7 Pro AND OSX Snow Leopard, 24" Samsung Monitor, 2 video cards installed with Quad Monitor Support, One of the video cards is a Geforce 285 GT 1GB, eSata w/ Raid and so on.

Ebay Link

Replies

• Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Sold!!. Im surprised I didnt get any responses but I cant wait to upgrade to gulftown!!!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Damn. That machine is a freaking BEAST. I wants :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I stopped reading after Mac, what did it sell for?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I read your thread about an hour ago or 2. There is one question I would like to ask.

Why the F....hell would you want to sell that? I mean you couldve used it.

EDIT: Oh and aprox $2500 was very extremely cheap with all the other stuff you had there in the package.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    I read your thread about an hour ago or 2. There is one question I would like to ask.

Why the F....hell would you want to sell that? I mean you couldve used it.

indeed, i could not dream about stronger work station
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Finally, some nerd talk, haha.

A few things I should mention is the computer has been used by me alone for around 2 years (its the 2008 model). So its using the Quad core xeons that dont support hyperthreading or anything.

I usually try and get a new system every 2 years if it will be fast enough to justify the price. Also since I usually upgrade as I go along I hope the value of the computer holds up enough to sell, which sometimes can be very hard (to sell).

So for those who keep up with the latest Intel have recently released the new "Gulftown Xeons" which are 6 core and have hyperthreading.

So with the 2500 for the sell and another 2500 I will be able to build a system that is many times faster. My old system would have 8 cpu's in the task manager @ 2.8ghz each. The new system will have 24 @ 3.33ghz each! That blows my mind, haha.

Do I actually need all that power? YES!! Especially now that I work full time at home, waiting for anything can totally slow down important tasks (massive video encoding, 3d rendering, etc). Not to mention I usually have 20 things open at the same time, half of which are doing something in the background.

Here are some specs for the new one:

TOWER SERVER, Supermicro SuperWorkstation 7046A-T Nehalem Westmere Dual Xeon® SATA CrossFireX™ 4U Rack/Tower Workstation 1

SUPERMICRO, 7046A-T Black 4U Rack/Tower Workstation Platform, LGA1366, Intel® 5520, DDR3-1333 ECC 96GB /12, SATA RAID 5 HS /6, HDA, GbLAN /2, 865W PFC PSU

INTEL, 2 x Xeon® X5680 Six-Core Processor 3.33GHz, LGA1366, 6.4 GT/s QPI, 12MB L3 Cache, HT EM64T EIST TB VT, 32nm, 130W, Retail w/o Fan

ARCTIC SILVER, Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound, Polysynthetic Silver

CRUCIAL, 12GB (6 x 2GB) Dual-Rank PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz CL9 SDRAM DIMM, ECC Registered

EVGA 015-P3-1480-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) // re-using from my old computer

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s // re-using from my old computer

ASUS, DRW-24B1ST Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, Retail

I cant wait to test it out!!! (nerd moment)
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhh yeahh 24!
    Make shure to upload a video showing it render ^^
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    I still havent gotten the new system, but hopefully will this week. If anyone is interested I could post some pics, I also have a thread on 2cpu.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    small corrective post here:

hyperthreading means that a core is a bit more efficient at handling two threads compared to a cpu without hyperthreading, it doesn't mean that you'll get twice the amount of cores :)

"Hyper-threading is an Intel-proprietary technology used to improve parallelization of computations (doing multiple tasks at once) performed on PC microprocessors."

but still, 12 cores, goddamn.
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah its not the same but for many highend apps (like 3dsmax rendering), the speed improvements are substantial :)