Home Technical Talk

Mudbox - sculpting on all sub-objects

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Axcel polycounter lvl 14
Hi
I am looking for some switch which allow sculpting on all visible sub-objects, like it happens in zbrush.

Already I must sculpt every sub-object separately.
For example I have a slice of metal and rivets on it. When I'm bending this metal, rivets stay immovably.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    you cant suclpt on more than one object at a time un mud...
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Ym.. ok, so what is solution for a problem like in example?

Other example could be a jacket and buttons on it. In most cases, buttons will be different sub-objects. When I'm folding jacket, button could be soak in.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    move, scultpt the button afterwards... you only have to klick on it to work on...
    its impossible to sculpt two objects with "one" stroke... but its working if you make a break...

if you need these feature....
    use the suggest button in the help menue...
    autodesk is tracking all these suggs..!
    help --> suggest a feature
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Ok

Thanks for helping :)
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    in your case, i would incorporate the rivets to the basemesh of the metal. if you then want to only sculpt the metal and not the rivets, you can follow this workflow which is mainly masking out:

- make a VERY big brush with shortcut "b",
    - press and hold shortc. "v", then click and drag over the metal mesh.
    then all polys that are merged will be selected, but not the unattached polys of the same object, unless you touch them with the centerpoint of the brush
    - then invert the selection and press "h" to hide the rivets.
    - then you can only sculpt the metal, while the rivets are still a part of this object

with shortcut "u" you can unhide all
  • Accipiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Accipiter triangle
    Searching on Google has led me to this post. Searched for "combining two objects together in Mudbox."

I just want to clarify this Thread and I'm not sure if things have changed from 2009, as I'm only familiar with 2013 Mudbox at this point.

-You ARE able to sculpt on multiple meshes in Mudbox by using the Object List.
    The Object List house all objects in your scene, along with all Materials you've created.

-You ARE able to Lock other meshes so you do not sculpt on others.

Example, if you are building a head and have eyes, teeth, and other objects in the scene. If you just wanted to sculpt on the head, you can LOCK all other meshes.
    Now if you wanted to sculpt across all meshes, you can just leave LOCK turned off and make a stroke, thus affecting all objects.

So far however, I'm UNABLE to combine multiple meshes to create one Main mesh to work with.

In your case, to the OP, you might be able to get away with using the Lock features.
    Or you might be able to use the Curve Tool to create a path in which you want everything to move.
    Also by using aphexx's instructions you might be able to get the effect you want.

Again, I know it's an old thread, but had to add some info to it.