Home General Discussion

Resume

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
They seem kinda weird for people without any experience in the industry. Do you really need to list every 3D app you have experience with? Or your education if you didn't go to college for game art? Should you just do a mini bio/artist statement?

Thoughts?

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    If it's related to game art, it's definitely good to put it on there.

Got military experience? Put it on there, you have knowledge of weapons and systems as well as leadership skills.

Worked as an IT? You have technical and hardware skills.

All the tools that are related and all the experience that can be related can only help you and as long as theyre listed in a well organized manner, I don't see how it can ever hurt you.

Just my 2 cents,

ps your new avatar really tripped me out. =p
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just wish there was less padding above/below the avatar, it'd make it look more confusing :P

What about general art awards/honors/etc?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I had a resume class a few months back, for job experience it's expected that you list everything up to 10 years. If there are blank spots people will assume you are hiding something.

yes post awards, your resume is a piece of paper telling HR how awesome you are.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    So I should list jobs I had during high school? That seems silly, I many just have a seperate real resume and just a brief bio on my site that says resume avalible on demand or something.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I only list the programs that i master. No point in summing up everything i once worked with.
    It is better to throw in a little statement saying you are able to pick up new software real fast.

----

Software // organise // even if you dont know this industry, you know the word software.. else gtfo.

*max // shows what i master
    *zbrush
    *ect

Able to pick up/switch software in no time. // shows my extra's
    I also have experience with Maya. // shows i do know, and am willing to switch, but its not my main software.

---

I'm not a big fan of stories and these goals.
    For instance, you see alot of

"Sort term, To obtain an *environment/hardurface/*/artist position in the game industry.
    Long term, To become a pokemo.. Art director and ..."

It is silly, your portfolio shows your trades and shows where you are able to work, and maybe you get a cool offer that is not in the game area but still in your interest. If you are specific about what kind of job you want, state it with your name, Rens, Random artist.
    Also, i dont know who does not want to grow, or become a master in what they do.

You can break it down into a more clear and personal way.

I DO make a statement that i am highly motivated, dont mind crunches and love to become more skilled in what i do.

I call my page "INFO" because i put everything that i find relevent in there, and do not stick too much to the "rules" around resumes.

You can add a little area where you discribe yourself with cool trades you have.
    Strong feeling for leadership, but also following orders,
    listen and communicate well,
    Am a fun person, but serious when needed,

To me, listing every small place where you did some work shows insecurity.
    If you do want it in there, you can group it and forinstance say
    Worked at various places, where i gathered skill in working with a team and leading a group of people. // Is enough to give you a plus, if they are interested they will ask about it in an interview.
    I have no experience with big companies yet, but i am eager to learn and prove myself.

As for education, mine will state,
    I am proud to say that with the help from friends and the polycount community, i am a self taught artist.
    In addition i did graduate in multimedia (4 year study)
    ----
    I do not wish to give any credit to the pour lessons i got, and will remove it as soon as i get a job, but its my only chance to go overseas. It might reduce my chances but then again, i like to earn my job, and not make this the deciding factor.

think i need to read some back and clean it up,
    There is so much more to say, but it needs some structure,
    also, this is about what you look for, are you willing to screen out companies and take that one offer, or do you jump anything that comes up?
    what are you oke with, are you confident enough that you can leave things out or make it less formal, better readable by short statements ect, its open to debate, since my exp doesnt live up to whats out there.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    One of the first things to remember, is that you always need to keep it down to one page. So trim back the content to fit on one page. If some of your older jobs aren't very impressive, leave them off. You don't need to have your entire work history on there, just your most recent gigs.

Listing all the software you know isn't necessary. Just list the most industry standard software that you think a prospective employer would be interested in. More often than not a job listing will spell out what software packages the employer is looking for. Have a standard version of your resume, and then customize your software listing for each job submission. Move the software that they are looking for to the front of the list.

Do NOT worry about fancy writing. Most employers skim portfolios. You want succinct bullet points, not elegant prose.

Education is good if its impressive. If you are a college grad, put it on there. You don't need to go into too much detail, but you do want them to know you have a degree, because that is more impressive than not having a degree. Anything that might reflect positively on you and make you seem like a good choice goes on there. I always mention that I am an Eagle Scout on my resume. Employers like that, so it always goes on.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I always mention that I am an Eagle Scout on my resume. Employers like that, so it always goes on.

I'm one too, kinda forgot its a good thing for resumes
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    two types of resumes, one is job related and one is skills related. If you don't have the jobs to back it up, use the 'skills' version.

This was the skills version I created awhile back.

http://jeremylindstrom.com/resume/
  • Eric Chadwick
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    ZacD wrote: »

Heh, I got laughed at in school when I put that on there. I took it off. The teacher said it wasn't worth anything in this industry.

I wouldn't put anything not relating to game art on there. No retail jobs, etc. If they have valuable experience that is relevant, you can bring that up in the interview.

For software, I just list software is that is relevant and actually is hard to learn. So all the big software programs like, max, maya, zbrush, mudbox, photoshop. Crazybump and xnormal can be picked up in 5 minutes if you don't know them, so listing them is just padding. When I first started I listed like 30 programs, now I just list the core 5 that are relevant to creating game art. I also list game engines in a separate section.

Not to toot my own horn, but I've spent a lot of time clarifying and paring down my resume, and I think it is a really good example of a clear and concise layout.
    http://konradbeerbaum.com/resume.php

I would list college even if it wasn't game art, that is still important, but not high school.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two types of resumes, one is job related and one is skills related. If you don't have the jobs to back it up, use the 'skills' version.

This was the skills version I created awhile back.

http://jeremylindstrom.com/resume/

Mine is very similar to yours, I just flipped it so that the layout was reversed. I would recommend putting some spacing with the bullet points to break it up so it isn't a block of text, its a little hard to read.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    functional resume vs chronological resume
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a question. My title is "art director" at the advertising job I have, but it's not a senior position. All the artists are called art directors because I guess that's just how positions are named in advertising? And because we create the art direction for advertisements?

Anyways, should I keep that as my title on my resume? It sounds kinda misleading to me.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    Here's a question. My title is "art director" at the advertising job I have, but it's not a senior position. All the artists are called art directors because I guess that's just how positions are named in advertising? And because we create the art direction for advertisements?

Anyways, should I keep that as my title on my resume? It sounds kinda misleading to me.

I would keep it. Any one interviewing you worth their salt will ask you about it, and then you can explain the situation. It will help get your foot in the door, and they'll appreciate your honesty.

Plus, you know, you'll get that fat fat AD salary :poly124:
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The teacher said...

Hahaha

At the end of the day, those that look over your resume are just people too.
    You can spark a bigger interest with things you have in common, are fan of, or show an other side of you then listing the regular. (team sport)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »

Yeah, Eagle Scouts unite! :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    So there's 4 eagle scouts on PC? lol.

Thanks for the links to your resumes.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    > One of the first things to remember, is that you always need to keep it down to one page

I've been told differently by a couple of people recently, some of them being recruiters - the consensus being, if it's worth putting on a resume, then put it on it! Having relevant info (work experience) > staying on one page.

Especially if you have a broad skill set or have a very long work history, or worked on many projects you should not try to squeeze it onto one page. Often you shorten stuff down so much, just to fit it onto that piece of paper, that all the important info for the employer is condensed away and the resume doesn't offer much info.

> bullet points

I've also been told recently that using proper English sentences, as long as you're not long winded, makes your resume easier to read and stand out a bit more from all the other boring unpersonal powerpoint-ish bulletpoint lists.

Personally I heard a lot of good points against the "classic 1 page bullet point" resume trend that dominated the last decade. But maybe it's just a fad within the HR community. Anyway, whatever makes them happy I guess :)
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    We all know resumes are secondary to portfolios/reels, but even when you're in fields where the resume is all you have, HR people still skim like crazy. The more information you try to cram on a piece of paper, the better the chance they'll miss something important. I'm a big fan of minimalist resumes that offer important, condensed points without being cluttered.

Nobody cares if you know 24 different software packages if your portfolio is terrible, and if you don't have any industry experience, no one is going to hire you because you spent a few years as a cashier at Target or flipping fries at McDonald's. I think it's safe to assume that a large majority of people have spent some time working menial-wage jobs; that by itself is not anything special or noteworthy, so why include it?

And for what it's worth, I'm an Eagle Scout and I don't put it on my resume. Nobody I've talked to cares, and I'm not sure why they should. Being an Eagle Scout doesn't automatically disqualify someone from being weird, socially awkward, egotistical, etc., and making sure people don't have those traits is more important than knowing if they can orient a map or build a fire in the woods. And yes, I get it, it's about more than that -- dedication and leadership and all those things -- but by that logic, so is high school sports... and no recruiter cares how fast I ran an 800m back in high school. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Another peeve is people with no experience who put 5, 6, 7 meaningless awards from their school. Who cares? If you win an Oscar, that's big. First place at your college art show? Not so much. It's arbitrary and meaningless without any context.

This may be pessimistic, but I find it's best to assume that no one cares at all about who I am or what I can do. If they like my reel, then maybe they want to learn a little about me... so I add a few things to my resume, one by one, to help to clarify my skill set, my technical knowledge, and my experience. Done -- no need to linger and waste anyone's time.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    personally, ill be putting all my restaurant experience on mine... why? tons of experience working in a team.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that will impress anyone on a resume. By all means talk about all that stuff during an interview, but I don't think it will do anything on a resume.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think that will impress anyone on a resume. By all means talk about all that stuff during an interview, but I don't think it will do anything on a resume.

if you have nothing else, it at least shows you can hold a job, a valuable quality.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I suggest looking at other peoples resumes to get an idea of how they set it up. almost everyone with a folio has had one. check from people who got there first job to people who have been doing this for years. See what the new people and vets put to get an idea of things that you could add to yours.