Home Technical Talk

Mudbox painting workflow

Hey there,

I'm having trouble getting my head around the workflow I should be using to paint textures in Mudbox.

This is largely due to the fact I've barely ever used Mudbox before, and partly because I've always done my texturing in 2D.

Seeing an increase in people using 3D painting tools as well as the recent Naughty Dog session for Autodesk has inspired me to give it a shot. Painting the diffuse and specular looks awesome and it's something I wanna try out.

I'm coming from a ZBrush background and I just have no idea how to figure out the workflow for painting a mesh in Mudbox.

Here's my current workflow for most characters/assets:

Base mesh in Max (or ZSpheres occasionally) into ZBrush (without UVs) sculpt (and decimate if necessary), export to OBJ, retopo, UV the retopo'd mesh in Max and bake in Max or XNormal.

From the videos of the new Mudbox, it looks like you can get your UV map in the viewport and paint in either 2D or 3D, but does this mean you're painting on the Low poly version after it has UV's... or do you have to UV the high poly (surely not?!!?!).

That's the bit that confuses me, I'm guessing you can UV your base mesh before bringing it into Mud, but then how would you transfer the texture to your final low poly if you see what I mean.

I explained that badly probably but hopefully you understand.

Thanks

Replies

• divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    either UVed lowpoly and paint directly onto that or UV your high, paint on that and bake that onto the lowpoly.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the only way to get the 2D view in Mudbox to be representative of the final UVs would be to work on a UVd base mesh and use that vbase as the final model?

I saw in the videos you could save out the different mat channels as a layered PSD which I'm guessing can't be done if you bake the texture onto a different, retopo'd mesh?
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    So the only way to get the 2D view in Mudbox to be representative of the final UVs would be to work on a UVd base mesh and use that vbase as the final model?

if you want to paint on the highpoly then probably yes. i don't think it's capable of projecting everything you paint from a highpoly to the lowpoly with the final UVs in realtime.
    I saw in the videos you could save out the different mat channels as a layered PSD which I'm guessing can't be done if you bake the texture onto a different, retopo'd mesh?

it might very well be possible to bake from a highpoly to a retopoed lowpoly and get it all in a layered psd as a result, but i dont bake things in mudbox so i dont know.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think you are trying too much of a complicated workflow.
    What mud is good at for painting :

-Give your base mesh some quick UVS
    -Sculpt
    -Paint on the finished sculpt, using paint layers : one for Diffuse, one for Spec, one for Gloss

then :

-Export these 3 channels as 3 separate files
    -Double check in photoshop how the transparency looks like (might have to fill with either black or white depending on the type of map
    -In Xnormal, bake to your lowpoly. Use a texture for the highpoly 'diffuse', and do it for the 3 channels you prepared.

Done!

I wouldnt even try to use it to paint the diffuse map of an already baked lowpoly asset for instance. Not much use for that really.

If you forgot to give the highpoly basemesh proper UVs, you can always export all your levels separately, give some UVs to lvl0, and reimport the subdivision levels one by one, hence recreating your highpoly now with UVs ready for painting.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    there is no need to export anything in mudbox. if you have multiple layers flatten them and that is all. a new combined file is automatically generated. if you don't use layers you don't even need to do this.

your textures are saved as you paint in a folder called "your file name"_files. All you need to do is pick the brush tool and start painting provided that your model is already uv mapped.

painting in mudbox is as simple as anything could possibly be and it has pretty much the same shortcuts as sculpting.

all you need to do is actually watch that 2 minute video that shows you how to paint. and that's about it.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok so I think I get it now (feeling stupid), thanks for explaining.

It was the specular thing I was most confused about. So you technically apply the spec map as a diffuse when baking right?

Am I right in thinking that the paint tools and UV viewer etc are more designed for people who only intend to use the model in it's high poly state, ie film/animation/stills and the UVs and maps they see in Mudbox will be final?

Thanks
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well you do anything you want really, either do highpoly painted stuff, or bake it to low in either mud or xnormal ... Dont overthink it, just do it!

Good luck!

By the way guys. Is there any custom mudbox-specific realtime shaders to be found anywhere ? I am surprised its so hard to find. Everybody was so happy when they announced this for 2009/2010 but I see it very rarely used. Would love an image-based shader compatible with diffuse/spec/gloss ...
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Dont overthink it, just do it!

Thanks a lot Pior, I've just had a quick play around and got a diff/spec map saved out of Mudbox and then baked in XNormal so I think I finally understand it!

Thanks for being patient :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe its all good! Its a fun workflow. The only thing I wish for would be the diffuse to be a fully white map by default, the spec and gloss to be a full 50% grey, that sort of things. I am a bit confused by the transparent defaults.

Also I still have to figure out the real differences between spec1/gloss1 and spec2/gloss2, its weird!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    try the new version... there is new default shader...
    with a diffuse, spec, gloss, incandescence, reflection mask, bump and a normalmap channel...
    and the paint tools are also improved...

if you like a white or grey image in the base layer you could import one...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right!! No more Gloss2/Spec2 and a new NormalMap slot!
    This release feels like the best since Mud1. Fantastic stuff all around.

I still kinda wish there was a way to combine the default Mud material with a litsphere one. But I'll do it in Photoshop as post I guess.

(edit : they kindof fucked up this new shader tho haha. Check that horizon line! Thats so funny hehe. Hoping that the bugreport form actually works and that critical bugs are being addressed ...)

tilted_horizon.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, been playing around with this for a bit now and I'm really liking it. I'd always been a ZBrush user up until now but I'm really impressed with Mudbox 2011.

Couple quick questions about Mudbox...

Firstly, is there any similar materials to the Ralph Stumpf clay matcaps for ZBrush? One thing I really don't like about Mudbox is that the materials look a bit crappy in my opinion. I don't know if anyone else notices this but I feel I can't sculpt well with bad looking mats. I remember when I switched out of 'red clay' for the first time in ZBrush and felt like I'd improved about 1000%.

Secondly, is there a decent alternative to the claytube brush? (I could check this tomorrow but I'm not at my comp right now).

Thanks
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Claytube = wax brush (somehow half "claytube" half "layer")
    Matcaps = Rightclick > Assign new material > Litsphere
    http://vimeo.com/7916648
  • r_fletch_r
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    If you forgot to give the highpoly basemesh proper UVs, you can always export all your levels separately, give some UVs to lvl0, and reimport the subdivision levels one by one, hence recreating your highpoly now with UVs ready for painting.

Or just use the import UVs option :)
  • Mr GetDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr GetDown polycounter lvl 18
    1 click export from zbrush to mudbox :p

But a better alpha hair plain workflow would be better.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    I wouldnt even try to use it to paint the diffuse map of an already baked lowpoly asset for instance. Not much use for that really.

pior - couldn't it effectively be used to negate the 'seams' problem of painting a diffuse?

What i don't understand w/ mudbox paint layers workflow regarding gameart is :
    Do you paint on the high sculpt or the 'baked/optimised' lowpoly? - (i haven't tried) but i am unware of any ability to bake the high poly's diffuse onto a low poly...

I know it can bake normals and displacement - but not diffuse paint layers?

hmm.