Home General Discussion

Softimage 2011 is now available for FREE for students

yiannisk
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
from facebook
Autodesk Media & Entertainment User Community is happy to announce that Softimage 2011 is now available for FREE for students on the Autodesk Education Community: www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

Autodesk Media & Entertainment User Community is thrilled that free* student versions of 3ds Max, Maya, Mudbox and MotionBuilder are now available on students.autodesk.com! (Softimage coming soon!)

Replies

• vcool
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    is that for any student or only specific studies that qualify. (animation/cg stuff) (I study Biology)
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A friend of mine got student Max using the Autodesk Edcommunity thing and he's in computer science.

I don't think it matters, as long as your institution is in Autodesk's list.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome, thanks for posting it.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome news, Autodesk is really pushing these products.
  • kenpimentel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've been doing this for many years, first with VIZ, now with 3ds Max and some others. I believe they are 13 month term licenses. So, you can use them duing a term for a project. We also have inexpensive permanent student licenses if you want to continue with them.
  • Kirb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I've been wanting to train in Softimage for a while now. I should grab it while I still can, when it's available.
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always wanted to use the full version of softimage, but if you're school doesn't issue an email address and it's not on they're list, then you're out of luck.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    It's cool that Autodesk is doing this, but it's pretty disappointing that they got rid of the educational to commercial upgrade option without telling anyone.
  • LetterRip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LetterRip polycounter lvl 10
    Can you clarify - is it students only? Or can schools and educators also get them for free?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    recently I downloaded a copy of softimage XSI 2011 and tried to register through my area account. Which I was unable to do so.

there are other benefitial software with the one year license which I will be making a copy of...I just dont know if I should remake the autodesk account again or renew to previous one..I did renew it few months ago...its just not working =\

EDIT: Thanks for the intel by the way. =) Really helpful and pain relieving.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question related to this topic. How many of you registered with the Digital-Tutor website for tutorials?

Annually I mean.

Or is it even worth for self learners to signing up for them.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/09/students.php
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    well this makes more sense that the defacto expectation of stealing your programs to learn them in school.

;)
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what ??? who steals software here!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can someone answer my question please?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr...

I highly recommend Digital Tutors.

I must admit I haven't seen their XSI stuff but I used them when I was starting out with Max and Maya and their course are amazing.

I gotta be honest their new stuff hasn't been as good, but I bought a couple of their DVD's back before they offered the subscription model and they've been a valuable learning experience.

The thing I like about them is they walk you through EVERY bit of the project and you actually end up creating some cool looking stuff. None of that classic 'OK just continue tweaking points and in the next video we'll continue' and then you start the next video and the instructor has basically made something completely different and you just give up and forget about it.

They do skip some tedious bits in their more advanced courses, but even then they explain in detail what you should be doing.

Their 'next-gen' game character pipeline training is pretty good, goes through making a character right from base mesh in Maya, sculpting in ZBrush, polypainting and baking maps, then you can even go into their XNA training and setup shaders and make a basic little 3rd person game.

I don't work for them, honestly. But they really do offer some great stuff. I know there's plenty available for free but it feels much more like you've been 'taught' on a proper course with DT.

The fact the whole library is available for like $35 a month is amazing too, and the website works really well. Previously you had to buy the individual disks which were like $50 a time.

EDIT:

Even if you know a bit about what you're learning with them already, I recommended watching the entire course and following it exactly, you'll really learn the subject inside out that way. I know when I followed their intro to Max/Maya courses it was pretty slow at first with the whole 'And this is the shelf, you can hide it like this' and 'to navigate, hold your middle mouse button' etc etc but it hammered it home and by the end I was super comfortable with it.

EDIT 2:

I would advise going for a 1 month subscription first rather than just grabbing an entire year. They used to have this frustrating system where only annual/bi-annual subscribers could get access to new content and monthly subscribers had to wait 30 days, but they scrapped that I think and everyone has full access straight away.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I watched their tutorial for Maya about 4-5 years ago and it was amazing. They actually walk you through the user interface and down the major essentials first before they get in to the modeling, rendering, texturing part. Though I've lost the interest in them later on because I was bored of watching the same dvd over and over but now I believe they have made a nice move uploading all the tutorials and allowing us to subscribe it for infinite use for a month / year. And so on.

Softimage XSI 2011 have the user guide from digital tutors on their website (not the student one) that you can download. Its about seven hour worth of video. Thats where I got this thought of going back to the DT.

That seven hours worth of video is pretty much I'd say a month period of learning so I'll think about subscribing to them for a month before considering to subscribe annually.

Thanks for the advice creation22. :)

EDIT: Its actually $45 a month for beginners to try things out. The 10% discount you'll get is when you are taking cg courses you must provide them with your timetable, along with signed letter by your student council.