Home General Discussion

Laptops for 3d modeling and texturing

My laptop cannot handle Zbrush which I have bought but cannot run and desperately want to play with. Same with Max 2011, which is being ordered for me by a friend as a present. I'm branching out and it feels good. But my laptop sucks. I upgraded it's memory to 1 gig but it's still far from what I want. It struggles with polies over 40k as well. Not that I work that high very often but when I do it's a slide-show lag.

I wanted to get recommendations for a laptop. Like how much memory should I get, cpu etc? I was thinking 2 gig at least memory and 2.0 core or greater. Hard drive I'd be happy to get something beyond 120 which is what I upgraded myself to from the measly 40 g that came with my laptop. I see 500s are pretty standard so I'd get one with that too. How much would you be willing to pay for something like that? Over the summer I'll earn about $1000. I don't think that's enough but that's why I'm asking. Any brand recommendations too? Thanks.

Replies

• Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    i'm by no means a mac fanboy but i've had a macbook pro for the past 2 years that I've done most of my work on and it has worked like a dream. I'll give you my specs so you know where I stand. I can usually work upward of around 20 million pollies in zbrush (per tool) and havn't had a problem with lag in maya when working into the hundreds of thousands of pollies. And of course if there's no problem running these programs then photoshop has no problems running for your texturing needs. Anyway. I've got a 2.2 gig processor with 4 gigs of DDR2 memory. so anything around that should be all you need if you only are working around 40k pollies.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I have an HP laptop that handles zbrush like a champion. I have 4gigs of ram and a 2.2ghz dual core plus a 250gig harddrive. The video card isn't great its like a 256 9400, but its enough for maya and zbrush work. I wouldn't recommend getting anything under 4gigs, which I'm not sure you can even find machines with less than that anymore. I actually paid just under a $1000 so it was a good deal and its done me better than the alienware I paid like 2500 for a few years ago. Plus I just put it on a best buy card and paid a bit here or there whenever I felt 8)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh an Alienware is what I got now. It's what 5 years old haha. Old workhorse.

Look at this, nice find I think.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114796

---

Model Brand TOSHIBA Series Qosmio Model X505-Q860 Part# PQX33U-01G00H General Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit CPU Type Intel Core i5 430M(2.26GHz) Screen 18.4" Memory Size 4GB DDR3 Hard Disk 500GB Optical Drive DVD Super Multi Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M Video Memory 1GB GDDR5 Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN Card slot 1 x Express Card Dimensions 17.40" x 11.60" x 1.63" Weight 9.70 lbs. CPU CPU Type Intel Core i5 CPU Speed 430M(2.26GHz) Chipset Chipset Intel PM55 Display Screen Size 18.4" Wide Screen Support Yes Resolution 1680 x 945 LCD Features TruBrite technology Operating Systems Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Graphics GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M Video Memory 1GB GDDR5 Graphic Type Dedicated Card Hard Drive HDD 500GB HDD RPM 7200rpm HDD Interface SATA HDD Spec TOSHIBA Hard Drive Impact Sensor (3D sensor) Memory Memory 4GB Memory Speed DDR3 1066 Memory Spec 2GB x 2 Memory Type 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM Memory Slot (Total) 2 Memory Slot (Available) 0 Max Memory Supported 8GB Optical Drive Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi Optical Drive Interface Integrated Optical Drive Spec DVD SuperMulti drive with Labelflash supporting 11 formats
    Maximum speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (24x), DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD-R (Double Layer, (6x)), DVD-RW (6x), DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD+R (Double Layer, (6x)), DVD+RW (8x), DVDRAM (5x)
    Use Labelflash media to burn high quality labels directly to disc Communications LAN 10/100/1000Mbps WLAN 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN Ports Card Slot 1 x ExpressCard slot (ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54) USB 4 x USB (3 USB + 1 eSATA/USB combo) IEEE 1394 1 Video Port RGB (monitor) output port
    HDMI-CEC (REGZA LINK) Audio Ports Yes Audio Audio Dolby Home Theater Speaker Built-in harman/kardon stereo speakers Input Device Touchpad Toshiba TouchPad Keyboard Premium US keyboard Supplemental Drive Card Reader Memory Card Reader
    Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Multi Media Card [shared slot] Webcam Yes Power AC Adapter 120W (19V x 6.32A) Auto-sensing ,100-240V/50-60Hz AC Adapter Battery 12 cell (8000 mAh) Lithium Ion battery pack Physical spec Dimensions 17.40" x 11.60" x 1.63" Weight 9.70 lbs. Manufacturer Warranty Parts 1 year limited Labor 1 year limited
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Cyrael wrote: »
    i'm by no means a mac fanboy but i've had a macbook pro for the past 2 years that I've done most of my work on and it has worked like a dream.

i've got a pretty similar machine (minus the 'pro' label) and am just wondering if you experience the system fans going crazy in zbrush? it drives me mad having to listen to the machine sounding like a vacuum cleaner all the time when i have that particular app running.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    thomasp wrote: »
    i've got a pretty similar machine (minus the 'pro' label) and am just wondering if you experience the system fans going crazy in zbrush? it drives me mad having to listen to the machine sounding like a vacuum cleaner all the time when i have that particular app running.

actually, I have never experienced this, HOWEVER, my friend with 17 inch macbook pro experiences it everytime. I've got a 15 ", we could never figure out whey his fans go crazy but mine dont..
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Asus have some really nice laptops with better graphics than a macbook for similar or better pricing from what I have found.

Go have a look at newegg. Grabbed my current laptop from there back in september and is more than capable of handling even just cause 2 nicely.

my current laptop: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220566
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    I have a Dell XPS m1710, at the time of purchase (2 years ago) it was the fastest laptop around. It was great, killed Max, Zbrush etc... until it crapped itself. I replaced the graphics card and a short time later it did it again. Two cards and one motherboard later I gave it to my wife and bought a desktop... So I have a 4 grand machine doing web browsing.

My advice - don't buy the absolute top-end, because chances are, like mine, they are running close to maximum and will burn out. Instead, buy a lesser, still powerful laptop and rest easy knowing it is operating well within its performance boundaries.
  • roosterMAP
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    HP DV-7

Thats what I bought a year ago (the previous model obviously) and it runs maya/zbrush/muxbox fine. Its expandable up to 8gb a ram, though thats 2 4gb sticks and that runs around $384. (edit apparently it comes with a 7200rpm now, but hey 2 :) ) But you can upgrade to a 7200rpm hdd for $100 bucks AND it has a second hdd bay. So if you buy another cradle ($30) you can drop the original hdd and have 1TB of hdd for $130 bucks, not bad for a laptop.

The graphics card isn't desktop equiv for sure, but it'll chug out 3d work just fine.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    mickyg wrote: »
    I have a Dell XPS m1710, at the time of purchase (2 years ago) it was the fastest laptop around. It was great, killed Max, Zbrush etc... until it crapped itself. I replaced the graphics card and a short time later it did it again. Two cards and one motherboard later I gave it to my wife and bought a desktop... So I have a 4 grand machine doing web browsing.

My advice - don't buy the absolute top-end, because chances are, like mine, they are running close to maximum and will burn out. Instead, buy a lesser, still powerful laptop and rest easy knowing it is operating well within its performance boundaries.

I think the better advice to draw from that is don't buy a dell.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I spent quite a while researching this subject a while back - reading loads of reviews, asking people their opinions and so forth. In the end I went with the Asus G73JH
    http://www.asus.co.nz/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81&content=specifications
    Core i7, Radeon HD 5870, 8 gig RAM. You shan't have any problems with ZBrushery again.
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    oXYnary wrote: »

Normally I would agree, but I generally find their high end stuff to be quite competent. At work I use a Precision T5400 (8 core workstation, 1.5gb Quadro) and it is quite a workhorse that rarely has issues.

The laptop was great and could even play games like Crysis, but it just couldn't handle the massive heat generated by the graphics card (512mb 7600GT).

EDIT: Note that my heat issues were purely related to gaming. I never actually had the balls to do any sustained rendering on it.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    I picked up a pretty standard Sony laptop a while back because of there awesome screens, the X-black gives fantastic colour reproduction. First thing I did was format the OS and remove the sony-app crap now it has Windows 7 / Max / Zbrush and a few old point and click Lucas Arts games. Runs sweet!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    My wife bought me a Dell laptop for Xmas, and it runs Max and Zbrush fairly well, but it's obviously not a patch on my desktop (Mac, booting in Windows 7 for Max).

Once thing that did help was sticking a spare 4GB SD card into the SD slot and enabling Readyboost on it.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I spent quite a while researching this subject a while back - reading loads of reviews, asking people their opinions and so forth. In the end I went with the Asus G73JH
    http://www.asus.co.nz/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81&content=specifications
    Core i7, Radeon HD 5870, 8 gig RAM. You shan't have any problems with ZBrushery again.

This is the laptop I would get today as well for what you want to do and how much you have to spend. I would also look at the MSI GX640. It is cheaper and a little smaller but is still very powerful. The Asus looks to be a great machine. How are you liking yours Jackablade? I'm thinking about picking one up in the next few weeks but I'm looking for something with a matte screen since i'll be using it outside and in vehicles, and something with usb 3.0.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »

No, the better advice is absolutely do not spend $4000 on a fucking computer, that is simply insane. Never ever EVER buy ultra high end, you pay 2x... 3x as much for what, 25% performance increases over reasonable hardware? There is always a price curve with this stuff, and at a certain point you're paying money simply to pay more money, and it doesnt even come close to being with it in reality. Especially when you can get a $1500 machine in two years that will have as good of performance/outperform the thing.

MickyG, i'm not trying to talk shit to you or anything, just refuting Oxy's idea that the lesson learned here is... dont buy a dell! I'm not an expert on dell hardware, but pretty much ever PC manufacturer has problems, and you're taking a risk buying any computer, which just amplifies even more why you should never spend that much. Now, i would be curious as to what sort of hardware you got in a $4000 laptop? It sort of boggles the mind that you can even pay that much, so it must have come with some crazy stuff?
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Because I was moving to another country, I made the mistake of buying a super nice (and fricking expensive) Alienware M17X last year. It's not worth it at all (first and last time that I'm buying a laptop as workstation). If you're planing to buy one, just don't try to compete with a regular desktop workstation and take your future laptop for what it is : Something you'll be able to bring with you everywhere. The TOSHIBA Qosmio serie (15") would be my current choice if you're still looking to "work" with Zbrush and any other 3d packages. Don't go higher than 1.5k$/€/£, it's a waste of money.

Oh yeah, and as EarthQuake and some other mentioned, don't buy Dell, the support is terrible and the quality not so great.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    No, the better advice is absolutely do not spend $4000 on a fucking computer, that is simply insane. Never ever EVER buy ultra high end, you pay 2x... 3x as much for what, 25% performance increases over reasonable hardware? There is always a price curve with this stuff, and at a certain point you're paying money simply to pay more money, and it doesnt even come close to being with it in reality. Especially when you can get a $1500 machine in two years that will have as good of performance/outperform the thing.

MickyG, i'm not trying to talk shit to you or anything, just refuting Oxy's idea that the lesson learned here is... dont buy a dell! I'm not an expert on dell hardware, but pretty much ever PC manufacturer has problems, and you're taking a risk buying any computer, which just amplifies even more why you should never spend that much. Now, i would be curious as to what sort of hardware you got in a $4000 laptop? It sort of boggles the mind that you can even pay that much, so it must have come with some crazy stuff?

EQ: Im not speaking out my ass. Yes, you have an excellent point about a super high end system like that. However, Dells have had issues with GPU's which what the original writer was describing. That issue was to Nvidia and moreover, from what I remember, they only recalled some models while hiding the extent. Not all involved.

Absolutely, part of the blame lies with Nvidia. However, Dell takes some as well by not trying to do better customer service.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1010186/dell-models-defective-nvidia

I myself am looking for a new setup soon. Very caught between a high end latop ($2000 [not $4000]) plus and extra monitor. Or a low end laptop ($800) with a medium desktop that's very upgradeable. Space is a prime for me. I would love the ability though on nice days to be able to work on the backporch patio.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah really when i think computers, $1500 is the max you should spend on a PC, $2000 the max on a laptop, and more realistically, $1250 on a PC and $1500 on a laptop to get something very very nice.

I'm not a dell fanboy, all i'm saying is you can find issues with anyone, dell, apple, asus, etc. Nobody has a perfect record when it comes to hardware, and you can always find a couple vocal people to say NOOO DONT BUY ***!". I dont think i would buy a dell for myself, simply because they are generally overpriced for what you get, however i would build a PC before buying a workstation laptop anyway.
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    EarthQuake wrote: »

I understand EQ, and indeed that was the point I was trying to make in my first post. Don't buy the ultra high-end, scale it back a bit.

It was $4000 australian, and I got it on salary sacrifice at work so I actually paid around $2800 AUD all up, but it was still damn expensive. I think the cost was mainly due to the graphics card - it was one of the first laptops to get basically a desktop card shoved in it. It was the biggest card available in a laptop at the time and is still real good today - I'm just not game to use it too much.
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    My girlfriend bough an Acer 6930g http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-6930G-Notebook.13876.0.html about 6 months ago for about 800$.

specs :
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2 GHz 2 MB cache (i think)
    4G RAM
    9600 GT 512 MB Ram
    320 GB harddrive
    16" display (which looks quite good)

Handles 3ds max or zbrush or mudbox very well , most of the stuff you use on a daily basis.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 gb seems like plenty to me. For what situations would more come in handy?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    roosterMAP wrote: »

nope, that card has given me no end of troubles...
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about my 8 gb question anyone? Ty
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on what you do.
    I get my 6 gb to choke pretty often so i guess the more the better.
    If your doing game art 4 should be fine if your not planing to go insane on highpolys.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I own two Dell precision workstations, and i am very happy with Dell, the support is great. I had an issue with the graphic card in one of the workstations (a quadro fx one), i called the support and i had a newer one in my house one day after.

Dell is not a bad brand. I have ran problems of hardware in too many computers i have builded, and i ended paying money for the new pieces. With Dell, guarantee, and you don't pay anything.

A good laptop for 3d should have a good processor and a good graphic card, as powerful as an ati 5770. There is no need to waste too much money.