Home Technical Talk

Hey Guys , Need help.

Hey people
im new here :),
and im realy intrested in 3d modeling and stuff,
i would like to get into enviroments and stuff but i want to start off simple, mabye gun or something like that?
what do you guys think i should start to model? i do know my way arounf 3ds max and ive lernt most of the shortys and stuff,
if you got any ideas of what i can do for my very 1st model or something, if you got a cool idea for please link me to some images if you can
PS
if you lot think that guns is not right thing to start on, please hel me and tell me what i should start on :)

Thank you for your help.

Replies

• TheBlade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sorry for reposting, but is this in the right place? :/
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    this could probably go to pimping and previews since has nothing to do with technical, but im not a mod, so, hopefully they will address it right.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually got started by just picking shit from around my house (my trusty Bodum french press was first up). The advantage is you have the thing right in front of you, you can see it from all angles and can get up close and personal with it. Sure, the candle holder your aunt brought back from Europe isn't as cool as some weird sci-fi gizmo, but I think having the reference right there versus having to pick apart some sketchy concept drawing is helpful when you're first starting out. Also, I'd try some things with fairly simple shapes. A beer bottle, a lamp, even a house. Guns are neat and all, but they're deceptively complex little buggers, usually with slopes and insets and whatnot. I'm not saying don't do it, just expect it to be a rough learning curve if you really want to nail it.
  • TheBlade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your help :D
    @ Artifice,
    this is a realy good idea, something i should of thought of, thank you, :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I always think that something is wrong with people that don't know what they want to make. It's like they are not born for being a artist or creative being, because if they were their brains wood be flooded with stuff they'd like to do. Even worse if they feel the need of asking others what to do.

Sometimes I think that there are people that want to be game artists because they enjoy games so much, not because they like to create things in the first place. The difference is often obvious in my personal opinion: Less creative people stick often with topics like guns, cars, concrete barricades, barrels, orcs and all those other sucked to death themes.

I don't want to insult anyone here but if you can only come up with stuff like that if any maybe you should invest less time in consuming just games alone or other mainstream media and have a look instead into art history, design history, goto libraries, goto courses and or university to meat other brains,... just anything to discover things you wouldn't knew before.
    Because just sticking what you know and what you think you like wont bring you any further in this industry.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    renderhjs -since when has creativity been a requirement of working as a game artist, unless of course you are a concept guy. I don't really consider what I do to be particularly creative. In effect I just model/texture other peoples ideas.
    the 'sucked to death themes' are chosen by companies we work for , its not really as though we have much say in the matter.

Its true though that you should be at least able to choose something that you find interesting without worrying if its the right choice or not.
  • TheBlade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know what you guys mean, i have found some other stuff it model that has nuhting to do with guns/games or what not,
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Ruz: Well it is my personal opinion. Maybe my definition of a good game artist is somewhat more a of creative role instead of a just engineer role (how to model surfaces, how to mimic materials, how to just translate what others want).
    And especially if you are not in a job position or hierarchy (uni, portfolio preparation, indy developer,...) you should take your freedom of theme and direction more to your heart.

But then again I have not a background from your typical game school or education but instead more traditional art and design with a lot of theory and traditional skills. And our teachers always tried to prepare us for a position that strives for change, challenge, creativity and personal development (learning new areas, skills, background infos,...).
    My opinions might bounce in many ways with someone who went a different path - maybe a more practical path. I always try to encourage people to challenge themselves not just to be happy with what they already have. So hence I try to kick someone in the butt that is lazy when it comes to finding a theme - because I think it's essential.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I see what you are getting at renderhjs. I come from a less creative illustrative background myself, ie scientific illustration so my fun is in the observation of form , not making up stuff. I suppose it hampers me a bit, but you have to work to your strengths.

My point is that on the whole you don't really get much kudos for being original or arty in games.
    Generally you just get told to model a 100 heads or props to very rigid requirements

Anyway The Blade, you should do some stuff an post in in P&P.