Home General Discussion

Dwarf Fortress Illustrated Playthrough

Joseph Silverman
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
This guy is the man. This is wonderful, i think everybody here will appreciate it:

http://www.nzfortress.co.nz/forum/showthread.php?t=20768

4536607100_b99e237c3f_o.jpg

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    God I wish I could play that game...

How awesome is it going to be when we can have a game with the depth of dwarf fortress, but also with amazing graphics.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    really cool, thanks for the link! damnit i have to try it myself one day!
  • [Deleted User]
    aesir wrote: »
    God I wish I could play that game...
    you can
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Kaskad wrote: »
    you can

i'm afraid I can't. I tried once, but I couldn't play it. The screen did strange things that I didn't understand. Letters and symbols were everywhere. My eyes began to water. As I scrabbled on my keyboard with the dexterity of a zebra in a tree, I began to lose hope. My attempts to click the strange glyphs with my mouse were fruitless. I imagined the countless dwarfs behind the screen who were dying of hunger because I could not find them, and cried.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    what's dwarf fortress?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    aniceto wrote: »
    what's dwarf fortress?

Incredibly arcane, hard to learn indie one man show city building dwarves oh god monsters game that is also a roguelike and doesnt have graphics without modding. Its current version is also buggy to a point of being fairly broken:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=71580&highlight=dwarf+fortress
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Wow that is awesome, thanks for posting. Even just as a story it is pretty cool.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    My fortresses never get this advanced. I have an underground apartment complex, store rooms, and a dining room. One floor dedicated entirely to crafting, and some fancy chairs. The only few times i've dug that deep, i've just gotten raped by pathetic things. Giants, Crundles, whatever. It's never that they're too much for my dwarves to handle, one on one, but...
    There are just so many, and I am awful at making sure my dwarves eat, and get water. Especially in the winter. Ech.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    agree with aesir, a graphics and ui overhaul is sorely needed, but there's a very fun game buried beneath the unfriendly exterior
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stonesense should serve all of your graphical needs..well, once it gets updated. Agreed on the UI, personally.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    So. I keep hearing about this game and with curiosity started watching some You Tube Tutorials on it...and I have absolutely no idea what the hell i'm looking at. haha
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For people interested in DF but have no clue where to start: this link will get you going. It's a step-by-step walkthrough of the basics, and comes with a download complete with a graphic tileset and pregened world so you can follow along exactly. I tried several times to get into DF before and this is the only time I feel like I've half a clue about what's going on and how to play.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    it looks like the kind of game I'd get addicted to
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recognising the symbols is like learning to read and write. Fortunately it doesn't take long if you're dilligent... and the symbol choices are better than most text games I've seen!

DF is great. I spend days making a channel to gather lava so my fortress can be made of melted sand. Then one of my dwarfs goes berserk and kills most of the colony... I leave his body in a dungeon with a plan to bury him when the damage is repaired... Unfortunately his body decays and the rest of the colony dies to toxic miasma.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    ha ha. i work with the young gentlemanbeast that forged it. though i have only recently been made vaguely aware of its creation. chur tBone. chur

http://www.timdenee.com/
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I love it, been having fun in it for a few weeks now since it was posted up here on PC relating to the updated version.

Anyone else having troubles with not being able to find any farm-able areas underground? I played through most of the tutorial that was linked earlier, and that's the only time ive been able to farm underground without having to try and build irrigation (which normaly ends up as more 'fun')

Great game tho. Playing it reminds me of the things i got interested in games for.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    That tutorial is an older version. The more recent versions you have to irrigate an cavern in the soil to farm underground.

To irrigate you need
    a water source
    2 levers (b - T - l)
    4 mechanisms (Mechanic's Workshop, b - w - t)
    2 Floodgates (built from a Carpenter or Mason's Workshop)
    a room dug in a soil layer

* dig the farm room near the water source with a 1 square entrance.
    * dig a tunnel right up to the water source but not into the source.
    * place a Floodgate in the tunnel. (b - x) and one at the entrance.
    * build the levers near the entrance floodgate.
    * when a lever is built press q and add new task the the lever (a). (f) Link up a FLoodgate. and choose on the Floodgates. this takes two mechanisms. one for the lever, one for the Floodgate.
    * do this for the other lever too.
    * to open or close a Floodgate press q and choose a level. press P to pull the lever and open/close the Floodgate. Remember it takes a second or two for the gates to close. Floodgates will disappear from view when open.
    * open the source Floodgate.
    * dig through the wall let the water in.
    * let you dwarf out of the room.
    * close the Entrance Floodgate and let the water fill the room. You only need to let the water cover the farm room not completely fill it.
    * once the water has covered all the squares that your farm will cover shut the source Floodgate. now just wait for the water to evaporate and you've got a muddy room ripe for farming.

dwarf_irrigation.jpg
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhh, thats great , that will avoid the 'fun' of my Dwarves starving to death :) Thanks Asherr!

Looks like maydays tileset there ?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    Stonesense should serve all of your graphical needs..well, once it gets updated. Agreed on the UI, personally.

i played with the mayday graphics set, but i grew frustrated with the ui

ea need to get round to making dungeon keeper 3 and looking to df for inspiration
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed on dungeon keeper 3. Peter Molyneux needs to get his head out of his ass and make something good for a change. Lionhead was better when it was bullfrog. Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, etc. I remember seeing the trailer for Dk3 in Dk2 when i was like...9 or 11, and being extremely excited, only to hear it wasn't being made. First heartbreak of my video game playing life D:
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if this was already posted in the Thread of Awesomeness™ or elsewhere, but another illustrated playthrough of Dwarf Fortress is up.

Behold the Oilfurnace, by Tim Denee.

4959642834_c66e6173f6_o.jpg
    4959048347_da5f9f09e8_o.jpg
    4959048591_ff289920f1_o.jpg
    4959643402_066db53310_o.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My fortress was destroyed by Egendesor, the giant cave toad. Though wounded by my hounds and vomiting constantly, Egendesor wiped out all but one dwarf. Despite her entrails leaking out Egendesor harassed the last brave dwarf for three months before succumbing to her wounds.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game seems so cool. Is there a mod or something where graphics is at least crappy? :) Even crappiest graphics would make this game 2x awesome.