Home Technical Talk

Feedback needed - Concrete Texture Test

Spur
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Spur polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys. I've been working on trying replicate the look of poured concrete in a wood form and I was wondering if I could get a little feedback. This is just a rough test (diffuse and normal map) to get an idea of how things are coming together. Right now the normal map is a mix of concrete overlay with wood planks and then the raised seams with a scratch brush.

ConcreteTest.jpg

Replies

• mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    Is this going to be a concrete wall?

And also, will it be old and used or new?

If old, then maybe the ridges would be a little lighter because they will get scratched more often. Also, if it's a wall, then grunge and grime will naturally build up on the underside of the ridges in the shadow.

Apart from that it is functional I guess, it would help to know what you have planned for it.
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    mickyg wrote: »
    Is this going to be a concrete wall?

And also, will it be old and used or new?

Hey thanks for the reply. Its actually for a bunker that's part of the Atlantic Sea Wall, circa 1944. I'm modeling it to represent how it look around the D-Day landings so it will still be fairly new since it was constructed between 1943-44. It actually wasn't quite finished, but still operational, by the D-Day landings.

Right now I was wondering if the ridges, where the concrete leaked between the planks, was too much or not enough, etc.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    texture is far too noisy. right now it doesn't really read as any material. poured concrete does have lots of pocks and blemishes, but it's generally pretty uniform when freshly poured.

I'm not sure how they did it around 1944, but generally people use sheets of particle board or plywood to make the molds, using the least amount of pieces possible.

this is what i think of when someone talks about poured concrete: [granted, this is current-day]

DSCN6679.JPG
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Here are a couple pics of what I'm trying to achieve. I'd like to capture the look of the imprints of the form work. As far as color and wear, it would be a lot different since these are present day pictures and I'm trying to recreate it as it was back around June of '44. As far as noise I'm really not sure as to how much is too much or not enough since there are so many variables such as finish technique, wear, etc. I'm going to try backing it off just a tad and taking some of the gray out of the diffuse. I'm guessing it would be more of a tan color in '44. The original bunker was also used in the film "The Longest Day". During production it was painted in some sort of camo scheme but I cant find any period photos showing it painted that way.

L06.jpgOPatLonguesSurMer.jpg

This is a really cool structure for sure. The holes were actually intentional. They were created by placing sandbags against the form while pouring the concrete. They would later be filled with dirt and vegetation to help camouflage. Its also made using to different construction methods. The front half being poured concrete and the back concrete blocks.