Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[portfolio] Tim Curry - 3D art

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ohnomelon polycounter lvl 14
Hi pc, I'm a 3D artist, currently looking for work or an internship. I'd love to hear any kind of feedback or criticism about the look or navigation of the site, or the work.

http://www.tcurryart.com

Right now I am aware that I badly need to get away from guns, guns, guns. I also realize I should improve the navigation and cohesion of the site, as well as the messy html.

some feedback I have received:
- remove splash page, demo is unnecessary
- having two art pages is confusing (thinking I might change one to a mods page)
- info page is really dull, add separate doc/pdf buttons for resume
- thumbs page is a bit of a chore to navigate.
- more in-game content

I don't know why it's so stressful posting this, unless it's because I know how many hundreds of things I should be doing differently. Then I do know :( Sometimes I just need someone else to tell me what they think... So it doesn't feel like I'm chasing my tail I guess.

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Models look good....I like that you put the ingame shots in the demo...you could probly consolidate the demo and your models on one page...although I don't think it is that big of a deal... I wouldn't stress too much

maybe show some flats and wires too

P.S. I loved you in Legend
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    Models look good....I like that you put the ingame shots in the demo...you could probly consolidate the demo and your models on one page...although I don't think it is that big of a deal... I wouldn't stress too much

maybe show some flats and wires too

P.S. I loved you in Legend

Actually I completely forgot about putting more wireframes in. I have one or two as seperate thumbs, but it doesn't seem very well organized that way, so I'll have to think about it. Thanks, I feel a little more determined now.

I still have to see Legend, omg didn't know it was ridley scott, I am ashamed.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not a fan of splitting it into a non-thumb section and a thumb section. It should all be one way or another and if you do thumbnails each thumbnail should be a bit larger and have more of the picture it links to in it. People should be able to see art on the first page they go to. They shouldn't have to search around and click through thumbnails to get to it which is why if you insist on doing thumbnails you should show more of the picture in them.

Also the background is a bit distracting at times but that might just be me.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    I don't quite understand why you chose to do a thumbnail and no thumbnail page, personally I found the latter more appealing and I think most others would as well. I doubt an employer will like that there are two options to view the same work, you may want to consider just picking one or the other. But if you do end up picking the version that uses thumbnails, understand that I personally had no idea what I was going to get from the thumbnails alone. If you're going to have thumbnails like that I suggest making sure they show MOST of the object and not some corner or singled out trivial chamber.

Solid work though.
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely all true. I think my problem is my web skills are nowhere near articulate enough to manage all that while still making a site that reflects my work :( In the mean time I will try and make the thumb gallery a little less painful.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Dude, I really recommend just having the 'no thumbs' page as your front page, and putting the showreel at the bottom.

Simplify.

Wouldn't hurt to show to show wires next to your models in case a HR just doesnt have the patience to check out the show reel. I heard somewhere that a HR spends about 8seconds on a site, before going to the next one (because they have so many crappy portfolios to looks through). I don't actually know how much truth there is to this, but if it is true you had better use those 8seconds properly by just clearly showing your good models from the get-go.

Adam's Portfolio is really a perfect portrayal of a good site. Any halfwit can understand it; there's no need to download a flash player, or wait for something to load. Everything is right there in your face; models,wires, details. An employer could drink it in without even trying. Be more like this!

Nice models though!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I really liked the idea of an option at first, but after 2 seconds of thinking about it, why the hell is there a choice, totally go no thumbs.
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always thought a lot of scrolling like that was bad... but honestly it does seem like the best solution. I appreciate the links, Making me think I didn't do enough research.

I'm a little surprised nobody has complained about all the self illuminated guns yet though D:
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I really liked the idea of an option at first, but after 2 seconds of thinking about it, why the hell is there a choice, totally go no thumbs.

Haha! At some point I literally just got fed up with trying to decide which to do. Still, I think maybe if you had toggles that changed the layout in real time, it would be a cool feature. Maybe some day when I have more than 8 seconds :c
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ah dude, you lucked out with a sweet name. I guarantee it will get you to the head of a stack of resumes. "Wait, Tim Curry is applying here?"