Home General Discussion

Godaddy is going to make me RAGE

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Progg polycounter lvl 11
So. Is anyone else having a horrendous time with GoDaddy's hosting. It's always been on and off slow but today my website takes an entire minute to load the index page with insanely small compressed images... If I go any lower the images are going to look like garbage.

I was curious if anyone else that uses them for hosting has been experiencing problems.

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I don't use their hosting... but their commercials make me want to throw my television into the ocean.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I am hosted with them, my site appears to be loading fine for me.

Get in contact with them!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I've used them every since that day gamespy took over planetquake and shut down all the community sites, something like 8 years ago. And all's well.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    hmmm. I don't understand why it is taking so long. What are some of the sizes of your initial index page? (counting just the images on the first page)
  • fill3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fill3r polycounter lvl 12
    I am dealing with them right now for a client. Run into all sorts of problems and for whatever reason cant get Dreamweaver to connect with their ftp... I also don't like the fact that I have to click 10 times and 3 different windows to get stuff done.

Side note my personal site I use 1and1.com and prefer them over godaddy.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I use them and hate them. It took me 3 tries to get into my FTP today and my site has been running slowly.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    It's pretty ridiculous. They should stop wasting money on getting Danika Patrick to dance around naked on TV and use it to upgrade the hosting.

I sent them a ticket... I'm awaiting my automated response that will probably tell me it is my fault.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Bleh I stopped using them after their rates went up.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only reason I'm still using them is I got some e-coupons from Slickdeals.net that took my second-year rate almost back to my introductory rate. My first year was about $45, but they wanted to charge me $89 for my second year (!?). With the coupon I got it down to $50.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I only paid 45ish total. Guess I am paying for it now in lag.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I've always called their phone support when I've had problems and always had positive results. Their website is god awful to navigate through if you need to set up settings, but the prices are super low. I switched from powweb because they wouldn't price match or even come close to godaddy's prices.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Don't have any problems with Godaddy. All my sites are up and run fast.

Take a look at that javascript slide show that's not working right. There's 50+ images trying to load on that page and that script is dragging it all down.

Once that script loads, everything is dandy. I'd go back and do it as HTML, or find another way to present your work.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    The thing is I tried loading it with an index that didn't have the Java and it still takes a god awful amount of time. I'll try a complete redo.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Progg wrote: »
    The thing is I tried loading it with an index that didn't have the Java and it still takes a god awful amount of time. I'll try a complete redo.
    Before you redo, just do a test page. I'm looking through the script now.

One thing I did notice while testing is that it's DOG slow on firefox, fast on Chrome and IE. So your site may be ok, just the script isn't FireFox friendly. And FireFox is only slightly faster than the iPod, actually the iPod finished first.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    i just took a quick look through your site... it wasn't amazingly fast or anything but no too slowhere ... clicking a thumbail does take a while to load things but a minute, about 10-15 seconds at most. I'm using Chrome
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for testing. I've actually been meaning to just have the thumbs link to new pages where the work is just thrown out in a scrolling format. I figure it's better than having to navigate through the java slide.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I like the idea of the Java slide, but since it's bringing down the speed, then maybe take a look at divs? Showing and hiding them. There is an option to not load the content till clicked.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Lamont wrote: »
    I like the idea of the Java slide, but since it's bringing down the speed, then maybe take a look at divs? Showing and hiding them. There is an option to not load the content till clicked.

I'll research that. Honestly I thought it "was" doing that. But I have no idea.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I use them, took SOOOO long to figure out how to just navigate the thousand links I had to click through to host my shit up. I am really afraid I wont remember what to do when I need to update it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    fill3r wrote: »
    Side note my personal site I use 1and1.com and prefer them over godaddy.

I hate 1and1 :P I have them right now (and for the past 3-5 years). They keep charging more, and at one point, it was rejecting one of my users in Arizona, just at random. Not to mention, even with the higher rates, they don't offer as much as other hosts. AND they kept trying to charge me for a domain name, that should have been included in my package. It took them two years to fix that. lol, sorry... don't mean to rant :D

But yeah, remember, GoDaddy probably has you on a different servers than most other people here who use them. So, results will vary. They need your comments/complaints, to know if they have a problem ;)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I did some optimization on my site. And... from my end I am seeing a 4-500% increase in loading time which has me thrilled. GoDaddy did message me back and say they were having difficulties, but nothing that would slow my site down. So I went back and tweaked some java script and I think I fixed it.

If someone could test I will have your babies. Thanks!

www.stevenskidmore.com
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Seems to load nicely for me. My only recommendation, would be to use .png files rather than .gif files for your thumbnails. You should be able to get smaller file sizes using .png. I mention this, because the only thing that lagged, was the loading of the thumbnails.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    alright. I'll check that out. Thanks
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Like night and day dude. Good job on fixing it.