Home General Discussion

Real-time rendering is getting pretty crazy

ngon master
Online / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4No43o7zkDQ[/ame]

I wouldn't mind in game cinematics that look like that.

exec.jpg

mental ray/vray almost seem slow and dated now.

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    But I'd still use things like this for checking and single frame output, as there are some things they still don't do yet.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, I'd really like to be able to do high poly renders in 3-5 seconds, this looks interesting too, http://studiouani.com/ure/home.htm (heads up, might contain malware, I'd like someone to scan it and check)
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    the bokeh and DOF look amazing. it's something that can still be a bitch to do with offline renders.

I have to point it out though, your mental ray render has no lens effects or post work, so there's no comparison there at all :poly121:
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Tried checking out that studiouani tool and upon startup all audio cut out for my entire system, which is pretty cool. Even after a restart. What the fuck. All right, it could be pure coincidence, but now I'm finding malware in my task manager. So... not to blame that program... either it's just me, or it contains trojans for some reason.

Er, as for its being infected I still have no idea, it just broke my audio drivers and I found malware afterwards, then BSoD regarding mouse/keyboard drivers; the author says it isn't his program, so whatever, who knows.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I guess its cool but the quality of the art/assets makes like 80% of it all tho ...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Vrav wrote: »
    Tried checking out that studiouani tool and upon startup all audio cut out for my entire system, which is pretty cool. Even after a restart. What the fuck. All right, it could be pure coincidence, but now I'm finding malware in my task manager. So... not to blame that program... either it's just me, or it contains trojans for some reason.

I'd scan it, but my antivirus just expired, I put up a warning, if someone could confirm or disprove it, that would be great.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    The AA is amazing. I couldn't find a single sharp edge.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    haha out of everything the thing that impressed you most was the AA?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    pior wrote: »
    I guess its cool but the quality of the art/assets makes like 80% of it all tho ...

I concur.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Oh, don't get me wrong, the DOF, the lighting, and those shaders are amazing. If Cryengine does start competing with UDK I think we're going to start seeing some amazing looking stuff from mod teams and small companies.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    The bokeh looks awesome, I've never seen that in realtime before. How would that work technically?
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check this out, this guy is a friend of mine who has been editing the shaders in Crysis for a while now. He's done things like enable AF for POM, added cinematic stuff like bokeh, more colorgrading filter options, lense flares, vignetting, Penumbra shadowing, Global Ambient lighting (makes normals stick out more in shadows) , Anamorphic lighting flares.... I think that's what he's done so far. http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=58566 Here is a video compilation/cinematic which shows many of the modded shaders in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY6bCti2BBY
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Im intriqued on how they made mentalray take 28 minutes to render that shot, thats just silly. They seem to have focused on MR weak points (DOF)

GPU accelerated Rasterizer Vs. Mentalrays + super expensive DOF.

Its awesome but the comparison is pretty faulty
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Im intriqued on how they made mentalray take 28 minutes to render that shot, thats just silly. They seem to have focused on MR weak points (DOF)

GPU accelerated Rasterizer Vs. Mentalrays + super expensive DOF.

Its awesome but the comparison is pretty faulty

Still there's a lot of things that could really used speeding up in mental ray, FG takes a while, I saw a gpu version that did it 10-40 times quicker, race tracing anything is slow, glossy reflections and/or transparentcy are horrible, fog and other various effects are bad too.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What im getting at is dont compare a rasterizer to a raytracer. This new renderer may well raytrace faster but that shot doesnt really demonstrate that.
    That should have compared it to PRMan.

Turn off the DOF in that scene, add raytraced reflections, put SSS on the skin and the results would be very different.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd expect like 10 minutes for that without the blur, or with the blur done in post with z depth.

But yeah raytracing is way to cpu restricted right now.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'd expect like 10 minutes for that without the blur, or with the blur done in post with z depth.

But yeah raytracing is way to cpu restricted right now.

You should take a look at Vray RT
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=vray+RT&hl=en&safe=off&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=JDzHS7T0H6L40wTEmIXVDA&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCAQqwQwAw

Its GPU accelerated and crazy fast (some vids says it isnt but they are old)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »

I dont know, i think the importance of high end individual assets can be overstated. I would take a game full of average assets, with a great lighting system, well done posts and consistent art direction over a game with super high quality assets, but shitty lighting system etc. I think its easy to underestimate or take for granted how much proper light bakes, or even realtime AO, radiosity, nice shadows, dynamic lights, a proper cubemap imagebased lighting/specularity system, effects like well done depth of field and basic hue, contrast, saturation, etc post effects will add to the end results of a game.

There is mountains of tech that go into creating a really stunning game these days, and it really isnt anything like it used to be where it really was 80-90% just the quality of the art assets.

Ideally you have a competent team of both artists and graphics programmers, as well as good tools to have great art assets, and great lighting and post work. But honestly i would rather have the average art assets with great everything else, because there is only so much to be added by realistically sculpting in every pore on every character, or designing the coolest most stylized stuff ever if the presentation sucks, its going to look like dick with poor presentation.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup. A shit model with with a physically accurate material & lighting end up looking like a shit sculture that is real.. god bless mental ray :D
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    "I guess its cool but the quality of the art/assets makes like 80% of it all tho ..."

Yeah.. thats not really true nowadays. Awesome lighting saves even the ugliest props. Look at Bad Company 2. They have awesome lighting in most places and the game looks GREAT, but when you step inside a building and see a flat-lit prop. Then it just looks..horrible, in fact. Just some..tiling textures on a simple shape. Put it outside in the sunlight and cue the angel choirs.

Or the fact that boxes in cryengine2 look better than many games props ^^
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    It really depends what you are rendering.

if it is only alpha normal spec and diffuse they can be really close.

if your scene enables refraction reflections etc etc things are different
    but indeed we are close to getting mR quality in real time. Just a few more years around the corner i would guess.

for that quality that is shown above in that character render 3dsmax can achieve in the viewport in much faster time.

even photometric lights work great and you can render a sequence with any camera based multi-pass fx you want.

EQ i'm very much agreeing with what you say. But it is what gamers expect today. I agree that sweating over the pores in zbrush is an overkill.. when i say that to some of my friends they look at me as if i'm an alien especially since every big studio highlights how much amazing the pores or stubble look and as if their work would look sub-par if it didn't have pores :)

Lighting and animation is what makes or breaks the mood, and even mediocre assets with expert lighting and proper colour grading can look awesome!

Even the best assets are ruined if lighting and camera work fails to establish the mood.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    MR is dated though, its not really using a computer to its full power, ray tracing / raster hybrid seems to be the future for MR and VR.