Home General Discussion

Racer445's Awesome new tut out now!

Ok, just like I did with Xoliul's amazing Brutal Rod tutorial series, I'm gonna promote another of CG.Tuts+ releases.

Racer445s Sci-Fi prop vid. It's awesome, some great tips and well worth a watch!

I'm really liking CGTuts, considering they only launched a fairly short while ago, they're really putting some great content up.

Thanks for making the tutorial Racer!

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    cool thanks for pimping it man. nice final result.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    hopefully i can easily follow along with maya. will follow this one.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    awesome thanks!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Racer,

I wanna say something.

I'm gonna put it out there....... if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back.

I want to be on you.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    "I don't like Effort"

One of many quotes, and reasons why I like Racers tuts :)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Firebert wrote: »
    Racer,

I wanna say something.

I'm gonna put it out there....... if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back.

I want to be on you.

This man expresses what a lot of us don't have the courage just yet to say. Thanks Racer.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the narratives on Racer's tuts...

'Just checking my music... I have to have music... and GOOD music, not just any music obviously'...

awesome
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man thanks for the link! Racer's tuts are pretty awesome.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    nice tut ...thanks racer!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys watch your tone, Racer is a minor. Don't want "the man" kicking down your door for inappropriate dialogue...

Also, awesome!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Great tutorial Racer, just watched it. Learned some stuff that I will defiantly use next time I make highpoly stuff! :)
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    That's insane! He's not adding edge loops to everything. What did he mean by "Double Smooth"

Oh does he mean:

1st Turbosmooth- Tick smooth by group. Then seperate sections into groups. To give you a general nice smoothing

2nd Turbosmooth - Add extra edge loops if needed to define further
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    awesome tutorial racer, thanks!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Does anyone know where i could find a good sci fi reference stash that i could model after? I don't really get any good results on google.

Racer's tutorials makes me want to try it myself :)
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Richards is an amazing concept artist and has some sci-fi like stuff on his website.

Racer does mention it in that tut but it's at:

www.autodestruct.com
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I did not know about that "double smooth" technique! That has just made my modelling so much cleaner and more optimised!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Cool, I need to watch this. it's lstreamig slow so I'm downloading it, but I already learnt something from the first 5 minutes.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Glad you fellas liked it!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    great tutorial! tnx for taking the time to make these
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    racer you sly dog doing tutorials (:
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Racer445 wrote: »
    Glad you fellas liked it!
    Theres a couple people (including me), that would like to know more about your render setup. Could you explain it in your comments or put a quicky on your website? :poly121:
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All credit goes to paul pepera for this but

skylight, light tracer, one omni. colored lights are crucial.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    i wrote this in the comments. which is slightly more detailed. (my guess)

He’d pretty much use a material with a high specular level maybe about 60 and glossiness up a bit. set up a strong light at the front with a redish tinge, and a rim light at the back (slightly blue). In the primary light turn area shadows on. add a skylight to the scene. turn light tracer on. set up your anti aliasing mode to catmul rom. Render it out. open in photoshop and add a colour balance and play with the colours to achieve the green shadow look
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Good stuff Racer, entertaining as always. Does anyone know if Maya has a "spherify" feature or if there is a script for it?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I remember the first Racer tut vid i watched and hearing "Ay yo fiffty, go grab that rocket launcher" was uttered about 400 times while still giving great information and showing off some great work.

From then on I knew Racers vids would always be gems, thanks for another vid :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    THIS TUT IS REALLY GOOD. I've always had trouble baking those "lip" shell things. Now I know a better way to do it. Thx a bunch racer! ur the best!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey racer, I watched it, few questions/remarks:

you say you use "Span" a lot, did I hear that correctly? I get the impression it's something related to moving edges? I have no clue where that exactly is, mind elaborating?
    Would this be some sort of replacement for Edge constraint mode? Because I never see you use that and it's something I turn that on and off all the time.

Also, you use Connect, you could try looking into the Graphite Tools' Swiftloop function. If you bind it to a hotkey (shift S for me), you can place control edges much quicker, since I started using it, it has replaced my use of Connect for 95%, really saves time in the long run. Or is there a reason you don't use Swiftloop, a burning hate for the Graphite tools perhaps?

Hey and the "double-smooth" is interesting, I'm thinking if it would benefit me, because in the end, assigning smoothing groups might take me just as long as adding control edges.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Xoliul: span takes you 2 edges and fills in the selection between them. its a good way of selection partial loops or rings.

"Ay yo fiffty, go grab that rocket launcher"
    Racer: were you at swordfish?
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Also, you use Connect, you could try looking into the Graphite Tools' Swiftloop function. If you bind it to a hotkey (shift S for me), you can place control edges much quicker, since I started using it, it has replaced my use of Connect for 95%, really saves time in the long run. Or is there a reason you don't use Swiftloop, a burning hate for the Graphite tools perhaps?

Hey and the "double-smooth" is interesting, I'm thinking if it would benefit me, because in the end, assigning smoothing groups might take me just as long as adding control edges.

I have a burning hate for any max version newer than 09. :) I suppose I could check out the older versions of polyboost however. The insert edge loop tool in maya is the only feature from that app I wish I had in max and this seems like it could answer that.

"Doublesmooth" is sped up a lot by just using autosmooth then manually cleaning up the groups. It has it's advantages but it's not perfect, especially since you still have to keep in mind mesh flow and mesh density. For some complex objects and most simple objects this is fine and can be considerably faster than manually placing edge loops, but sometimes you still need that fine control and have to manually add in edge loops for some objects.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    thanks racer, it always brings a smile to ym face people helping out others by sharing knowledge :D
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Great tutorial learned a ton as usual from you man!
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Racer, I just got the occasion to look at your tutorial and looks quite good. Thanks for the advertising too. Your video gave me some interesting idea for future development.

I think the reason why you found the Span buggy, is because it didn't support Edit Poly Modifier yet. Anyway, since I consider you a power user, it would be of great help to me if you could point out any bug you'd find. That's the only way I can fix them, and make the tools better.

I'd like for you to try the Split Ring instrument, it now supports Edit Poly Modifier too. It inserts an edge loop along an edge ring, giving you a preview. Moreover by pressing shift it keeps a uniform distance from one of the border loops, the closest to the first click, indicated by a dot. It seems hard to get, but just give it a try :)

@ Xoliul: "Span" is one of the selection tools of IC.Shape 2.0. It selects all the elements (verts, edges, quads) between two of them forming a loop or a ring.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent Tutorial Racer! Helped me with some of my workflow.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    I got round to watching the tut last night and learned many new techniques and cool tips that will help me in my modeling, even with me being such a 'noob' I still knew what he was talking about, which was cool.

Thanks Racer.
  • ez_jamin
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting. Nothing new for me, but will def. help out the noobs or some ppl who haven't used max for a while, or picked up some of the tricks like double smoothing.

I will say that, while modeling in detail is nice, if it's going to take alot more time, or anymore time in general than it would floating, and it's going to be baked to a normal map, I don't really find it worth the time. Unless it's going to cause baking issues. It does look nice in the HP render, but it all comes down to what the final result looks like imo. But if you can model the stuff in just as quick, go for it.

Good stuff either way, keep it up.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Great workflow material and the speed was just fine.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Racer can you explain "doublesmooth" again? I didn't see how you were doing that in the tutorial. Everything went so fast.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    @racer: what render setting did you use to render that model? doesn't look like the shellac material i usually use...
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer can you explain "doublesmooth" again? I didn't see how you were doing that in the tutorial. Everything went so fast.

"Doublesmooth" uses one Turbosmooth modifier set to obey smooth groups or a tesselate modifier on boxy models, to make the mesh dense while retaining hard edges, then a second turbosmooth to get those nice round subd corners everyone loves.
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    @racer: what render setting did you use to render that model? doesn't look like the shellac material i usually use...
    I posted the render setup in one of the video comments.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    This video was deleted just recently from Tuts plus, grrrr. It was a great reference!

Is there a backup somewhere?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If I remember correctly, Racer removed it because there was a lot of dated and not accurate or not the best advice.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Racer445, now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    blast from the past
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    ZacD wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, Racer removed it because there was a lot of dated and not accurate or not the best advice.

You could be right. I remember him saying his AK-47 tutorial was obsolete, but i thought this one had a lot of great info about smoothing groups, exploding your bakes with animation and edit poly modifier (3ds max), smoothing groups, uv mapping process, etc.

On a side note, there is so much bad information out there about normal maps for the self taught to run into, like the blanket statement that you should give your model 1 smoothing group, with no qualifier, in [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFSXtjFI9ig"]this[/ame] tutorial i just watched, that Racers vids sorta act as a force against bad info.

I don't know, i just had had hell of a time getting through the technical learning hurdle of normal maps, maybe its just me. For example, i watched about 30 different normal map tuts, read many others, but i feel like i only really needed about 1 good 15 minute tut to really understand them. Maybe i should make it...