Home General Discussion

I Need Advise 20Q- And as many responses as possible!

My dad has been wondering about my goals but i don't have a completely clear view my self. if anyone could answer my questions it would be a great help...

some details about me..

I'm currently in my junior high school year

I'm also working on multiple portfolio projects both 3d and non, the software i'm using is...

• Softimage Xsi- very little
  • Blender- A lot, i find it to be excellent next to my Maya experience, just no watermarks
  • UDK- Along side blender, one character project(70%), one environment project (10%)
  • Gimp- Sometimes
  • Photoshop- A lot
  • And maya PLE-for practice but nothing serious(can't export!)
  • Also any other software i get my hands on...
All my projects i plan to finish before the second half of the second semester of senior year...

yes i'm taking the jack of all trades route, i just love it all!!!

i know internships are key, but my dad says internships come from college but i have my doubts...

as for the questions...

1. do the college requirements [in internships] also count schools like full sail or gnomon?
2. When should i start looking for internships after highschool?(in vfx, 3d modeling, concept art, other digital fields not necessarily graphic design)
3. Any good sites for looking for internships?
4. Whats a great site for finding art contests or scholorships?
5. What are the best ways to prepare for internship applications?(currently working on portfolio projects)
6. It seems like moving is inevitable, i live 40 miles north of Atlanta, GA right now..
7. Student loans are ok right? I wouldn't mind paying if it gets my foot in the door.
8. Should i form a demo reel or would a website or printed portfolio suffice?
9. Are there any good Cons coming up this summer (that aren't full already) that would be good to go to?
10. Scad has a summer training course for juniors, would it be wise to go?
11. I should totally keep up my traditional skills right?
12. My tablet busted and i need a cheap one, it was an aiptek i had for 2 years, what would you suggest?
13. Is it a good idea to have many portfolios around the internet?
14. I'm considering getting into stock photography and stock models (turbo squid and others), how effective are they for profit? Could i model everything in the house? whats in demand?
15. Also my website is currently WIP(thumbnails are not click able yet) but what do you think so far? www.iadagraca.com is it professional? what could be improved or removed?
16. would a GED have any effect? (just curious)
17. any good resume templates?
18. Any other websites i should post the questions i want as many responses as possible from the best people i can find
19. Are there such a thing as online digital art jobs?(just curious)
20. Any other advice?

21(bonus!). 'Downloading' software to use for my portfolio is a bad idea right? if you know what i mean...Would it be ok for practice as long as i don't publish my work on my website?

i'd like as many answers as possible please...

and thank you for the help!

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    1. Dosen't hurt
    6. Yup, especially if your in the middle of nowhere
    7. Better make it worth your while
    8. Yes, Yes, Not neccesarly
    9. I hear PAX is good
    11. Yes
    12. Get a used wacom
    15. It's ok, Skip the splash screen and go to what employers are looking for, your work. It is abit slow on the loading side.
    16. I would say yes, unless your a godly artist.
    18. CGtalk.com should have a faq thread
    19. Yes if you mean by freelance
    20. Practice Practice Practice, learn through osmosis
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Elaborating on used wacom -> wacom bamboo fun tablets are pretty close to the old intuos 2s (3s too?) in specs, if you can find a used one of those you probably wont spend much more than 100 and it will last you.

Draw as much as you can, also do art.

Look at art school. traditional art school. If you already do 3d for fun, learn to be a badass artist, the poly pushing will follow. Get good at drawing and painting, you'll need it for college applications if you go that route.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I'm what your father doesn't want you to end up being. So I'll try to bestow upon you my mistake-driven wisdom of the higher education system...

1. do the college requirements also count schools like full sail or gnomon?
    You don't have to take a language or anything like that, if that's what you mean. But you should seriously consider trying to get into a cheaper state school or community college if possible and just majoring in the closest thing they offer. The real education is all on your own, so try to save as much on tuition as you can.

2. When should i start looking for internships after highschool?(in vfx, 3d modeling, concept art, other digital fields not necessarily graphic design)
    ASAP. AFAIK, that's more of a near-the-end-of-college thing, but it's never too soon to start trying to get experience.

3. Any good sites for looking for internships?
    Not really, no. GamaSutra, careerbuilder, etc.

5. What are the best ways to prepare for internship applications?(currently working on portfolio projects)
    That's the best way. Portfolio. Try to make your work look as good as the stuff you see in professional games (or whatever media you're trying to make stuff for)

6. It seems like moving is inevitable, i live 40 miles north of Atlanta, GA right now..
    Not completely, as there are some contract positions that you could work remotely for. But yes, you'll have a lot more options if you can move.

7. Student loans are ok right? I wouldn't mind paying if it gets my foot in the door.
    You'll mind paying if it doesn't. And it won't. Not directly at least. Student loans will be a burden to you for the rest of your life and likely make it nearly impossible for you to get by with a shitty 9 to 6 that would have otherwise paid the bills. I'm not saying you shouldn't take any out, but just be aware of what it means if your work isn't up to par when you graduate (or even if it is, depending on the job market at that time). The school itself will likely not teach you much of what you need, or help you to prepare a professional portfolio. They say they will. They're lying. You'll need to do 90-115% of your learning online and on your own time if you want to get good. You might pick up a thing or two in class, but it's impossible to get enough hands-on time in class alone, and class assignments are very rarely ideal portfolio pieces.

8. Should i form a demo reel or would a website or printed portfolio suffice?
    Websites are where it's at.

9. Are there any good Cons coming up this summer (that aren't full already) that would be good to go to?
    IMO, that kind of stuff isn't worth the time or money when you're starting out. Spend more time in front of your computer making cool 3d stuff. Or out in public with a sketchbook for that matter.

10. Scad has a summer training course for juniors, would it be wise to go?
    Not if they're charging you.

11. I should totally keep up my traditional skills right?
    Yep. Observational drawing in particular. I don't care what anyone says, observational drawing is the number 1 foundation skill that every artist should be practicing regularly. It'll make everything else you do so much easier.

12. My tablet busted and i need a cheap one, it was an aiptek i had for 2 years, what would you suggest?
    Cheapest (preferably non-used) Wacom you can find. The difference in quality is worth it. I've had my current one for 7 years.

13. Is it a good idea to have many portfolios around the internet?
    If you feel like updating all of them every time you level up. It's the internet, so you only really need the one. It's equally accessible from everywhere.

14. I'm considering getting into stock photography and stock models (turbo squid and others), how effective are they for profit? Could i model everything in the house? whats in demand?
    I don't know much about this, but I don't think they're very profitable. Doesn't cost anything to try though, does it? (Does it? I don't know. If it does, then screw that.)

15. Also my website is currently WIP but what do you think so far? www.iadagraca.com is it professional? what could be improved or removed?
    The site design's not bad, but the thumbnails aren't working for me. Nothing happens when I click them. I'm using Chrome. And under Traditional, there's no work, only a link to your dA page. Other than that though, it's not bad. If you haven't already, check out Your Portfolio Repels Jobs, which has a lot of good tips for portfolio websites.

16. would a GED have any effect? (just curious)
    Colleges will take anyone who signs the loan forms, so I don't think that's a big deal. I don't know how jobs feel about it. But public high school is free and you're almost done with it anyway. A GED you have to pay for.

18. Any other websites i should post the questions i want as many responses as possible from the best people i can find
    Here, GameArtisans, a few others. But I have a hunch the other responses from this thread will give you everything you need to know.

19. Are there such a thing as online digital are jobs?(just curious)
    There are. Freelancers do that sometimes. It works better if you've had on-site experience other places to back it up though, from what I hear.

20. Any other advise?
    Learn 3ds Max and Zbrush. Don't believe what anyone says on DeviantArt. Be advised that it will be much easier to find a job in a non-talent-based field, no matter how good you are. An accountant is an accountant when they walk out the college door. That's very rarely the case with artists. Resist drawing cartoons when you could be drawing from life. Don't believe anything they tell you while you're touring a campus unless it's coming from the mouth of an actual senior-year student at the school. Check out what classes you'd actually be taking if you enrolled at any given school. Avoid any that have you take C++ programming for a "game design" major, and things like that. Be on the lookout for ill-named courses (such as "Digital Illustration" meaning learning Adobe Illustrator). Consider the "year off". Some people say not to, but I recommend not rushing into anything. Once you go in debt for it, you're pretty much locked in and changing majors or trying to go in any other direction will cost you. Listen to the people here with jobs, but understand that their formal schooling had nothing to do with it. Make stuff like you see in the games you play, or the ones that look really good.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    5. Know as much as you can about the company, their practices, their software, their history, etc. beforehand.
    6. Yes, moving is a necessary evil in this industry, unless yo manage to make a living doing freelance.
    7. If you pick the right school they can be, but if you pick the wrong one you'll be paying for it (literally) for many years to come with little to show.
    8. Demo reels are only important if its something that needs to be seen in motion for the full effect, else keep to high quality stills.
    9. GDC in Austin TX in Oct.
    11. Yes, traditional skills will help you immensely once they are refined. learn from the masters at places like conceptart.org
    12. get a bamboo tablet if you dont have much cash ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Small-Pen-Tablet-Only/dp/B000V9T2JA[/ame]), else get an Intuos.
    14. Their is some money to be made from it, but it all depends how you market yourself, the quality of your work, and how commonly that type of asset is needed.
    15. get rid of the splash page. Your hand drawn art (on deviantart) is not good enough yet, and detracts from your other work.
    18. cgtalk, gameartisans, game-artist.net, 3dtotal, cghub
    19. yes, freelance.
    20. the fundamentals are key, and theirs no such thing as a dumb question, just assholes that will ignore or make fun of you for asking them :P
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I think you might be overvaluing internships. For one good ones are very rare, and secondly they aren't the only way in to this industry.

Moving isn't necessary, you can save a BOATLOAD by living at home, use the extra money to fund other forms of education through dvds, quick but intense educational sessions accross the country. You really can learn more in 1 week than otehr students do in months if you find the right gigs. Seek out game conventions too like GDC, bring your stuff, get critiques right from the pros who you want to hire you.

I'd highly recommend getting some basic to intermediate Gnomon or Eat3D DVD's, they're a *little* expensive, but in reality they're worth their weight in gold judged against what you'd pay in a classroom in time, gas, and money. Pick up some more classical stuff too, things that'll teach you color theory, composition, etc. All the technical knowledge in the world wont get your portfolio to where it needs to be if you don't have strong foundations, unless you want to be a technical artist of course.

*Important* get your hands on maya or max, and zbrush somehow.

You're still in your junior year of high school, i think you might be looking forward a bit too much. Don't underestimate how much you can learn on your own with some online or DVD help. You said you're a jack of all trades right now, figure out what you REALLY want to do, you're having fun with all of it, keep pushing it hard untill you find what you really excelle at then maybe go to school. I'd highly reccomend an accelerated course with none of the general ed bull. Go somewhere, learn some art and learn how to push your portfolio.

Joining a mod team can not only teach you a lot, but is WAY more fun than school, free to boot. Only downside is finding a good close nit mod team can be hard, but even a decent team can be loads of fun and a great experience. Since you're new to this whole thing you'll probably be along for the ride in a lot of ways, just be a sponge wherever you go, absorb things and try to lay low to a degree until you have more to contribute. Starcraft II comes out soon, the mod community should be BOOMING, get in while it's hot, plenty of teams should be looking for intermediate artists. Looks good on a resume to have modding experience.

Last but not least, poke around the pimping and previews section here! You'll learn stuff without even thinking about it. Polycount is a great suppliment for game artists, it's kinda why this place exists. I can't think of how many times we've responded to a thread like this, the person sounds enthused and you never see them again, who knows where they ended up, they certainly didn't make use of a great resource staring them right in the face of when they posted! Speaking of which, this site is supposed to have online courses in the very near future, keep an eye out, if the free resources are any indication, the payed courses here should be stellar.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    refurbed wacoms are usually pretty afordable..my first graphire 2 was 60$ and came a warranty from wacom...got it on the ebays

8. make a website..there is tons and tons of info on polycount about makinga portfolio
    6. I think highrez studios is in Atlanta ..the global Agenda guys..you should see if they have an internship
    16. I got me a ged-never hindered me..I know a few guys that work in the industry that never finished high school...but it is probably more the exception. I guess it would hinder you if you were trying to get into a specific school or such. I cant see any studio not hiring someone based on their general education...as long as you can write all fancy on the magic boxes and such.(I did go on to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh....although it was a complete waste of money)
    11. Hone these into razor sharp daggers you can plunge into the monster of 3d mediocrity
    20. Your main focus should be your art. If you go to school, focus on traditional art...the stronger that base ..the stronger your 3d chops will be
  • Digitalwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone!

this is a great help, i feel more reassured i've mostly been doing the right thing so far.

Keep them comming though, theres so may perspectives i could get on this :)

also i'll fix some misconception in my questions

once i'm far enough in my current project i'll besure to make a post on these forums...

EDIT:well the reason my websites thumbnails didn't work is because i haven't worked on the page in a while, too caught up with other things but its fixed now!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Instead of answering every question you have here I'll just give you some basic advice. Besides most people have said more or less what I would have.

If you want to succeed in this industry you have to make that conscious choice right now. Do not expect any school or internship to teach you or hand-feed you the knowledge it takes to make good art. It is entirely up to you to study and work on your own to expand your knowledge and skills.

It takes an extroadinary amount of effort to get noticed in this field and I suspect for someone your age it will only get harder as more people want to enter into this profession.

Right now you have one thing going for you, you are eager to learn and have already started down the road to success. Do not deviate from it. Don't let that brand new game, the hotties, and booze distract you from your goals. It takes a lot of sacrafice, long, hard hours of concentration and working at excelling to build a portfolio that'll get you a job.

You'll have to do a lot it on your own time, and hopefully you enjoy it and want to do it. Sometimes you'll have to turn down hanging out with your friends, or watching the big game to pump out some serious art. Don't worry it's worth it.

I know you're a jack of all trades right now, and that's fine. But, soon, very soon decide what you like doing best and what you're strongest at an give that 100%. If it is VFX, Animation, Modeling/Texturing, etc. make sure you do it damn well.

Strive to be able to create industry quality work or better. That means looking at the games that are out now and one upping them.

Visit websites like polycount and gameartisans. If you do all of this I garuntee you will see yourself grow as an artist.

I went to college, and didn't understand the above until very late. You see I thought college would "help" prepare me for the real world. Boy was I mistaken. They didn't teach me the basics of modeling, or how to UV unwrap. 90% of their projects I couldn't use in a portfolio.

Finaly I realized what I had to do about 14 months ago. Everything you see on my portfolio was done in the last 8 months. If I showed you my work from 2 years ago you'd laugh, and if I told you my work was one of the best in my classes 2 years ago you'd shudder. You see the name of the game is hard work... and the difficulty is currently set to Hardcore mode if you get my drift. AKA do work son!
  • Digitalwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do love you work, your telling me that your work wasn't any ware near what you have now from college?

that creeps me out, with so much emphasis on college in high school these days i figured it would be worth it. Apparently the only reason i should bother is if i ever hope to teach it which currently i don't.

I'm not scratching the idea yet for at least a little training in areas i lack but it seems like i could just get dvd's for that. Something like animation mentor could be beneficial right?i also considering talking selective courses at gnomon aswell which should allow me to limit the cost only to what i need.

right now i plan to save money to upgrade my current tools both digital and traditional. And i need to convince my dad that this is what i need to do. I'll also have to keep my focus on school work, and balance working on my portfolio since more than likely i'll have to find an alternative job to pay for my needs.

I'll also consider doing commissions over summer, which should also be great for portfolio work and profit.

I made my decision when i was 12 that this is what i wanted to do(i got my first 3d program then called animation:master), and its only grown since,.

I don't currently have a focus, more like sampling different skills, but what stands out to me are my lighting abilities, and presentational skills. And this is what will stand out in each area i try. but that's not particularly a skill, Rendering, lighting, and composition have been my high points from the beginning so i should stick with that. But that was in CG not game art, which i'm getting into now.

Big thanks guys, this is really helping my perspective..
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I'm self-trained (well, forum- and online video-trained), so I have no idea about any of the school related questions.
    21(bonus!). 'Downloading' software to use for my portfolio is a bad idea right? if you know what i mean...Would it be ok for practice as long as i don't publish my work on my website?
    Let me put it this way. You wouldn't be the first to do it, and you wouldn't be the last to do it. No one's going to ask you if you've used legal software for the stuff in your portfolio. If someone does, they're suffering a bit from the douchebag syndrome, and probably doesn't hold any credibility or sway anyway.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    East wrote: »
    I'm self-trained (well, forum- and online video-trained), so I have no idea about any of the school related questions.

Let me put it this way. You wouldn't be the first to do it, and you wouldn't be the last to do it. No one's going to ask you if you've used legal software for the stuff in your portfolio. If someone does, they're suffering a bit from the douchebag syndrome, and probably doesn't hold any credibility or sway anyway.

qft
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Animation mentor is awesome. I know people going through that right now. You're more or less garunteed a job if you're competent. Unfortunately there isn't a program like that for other parts of the pipeline.

If you're good at rendering, lighting and composition I'd start looking into it more. Start learning programs like nuke, combustion and aftereffects. Here is a website to look at... and you may or may not be able to get these videos w/out paying.. just saying. http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/smoke_trails/

On a side note, Lighting is entering the Gaming Field now. There are positions popping up for it at a lot of studios however they usually require a few years of experience in film or tv. That could change in a few years though as games get bigger staffs and higher budgets and are pushed to look more and more like cinema.