Home General Discussion

LOVE

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/index.html

It appears Love is released now, I thought there was a thread about it somewhere here but searching didn't bring anything up. It seems like a really interesting concept, although the €10 a month is keeping me back from trying it at the moment. I've never paid monthly for a game before, I don't know if I'd spend enough time at it in a month to justify the price. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has tried it out though.

The tools he's making also seem interesting, although I tried the modeler out and it was extremely unintuitive and hard to use, but the philosophy of spending more time on tools to save time and headaches later in the production is something I'd like to see being picked up.

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I did in the beta, but I noticed that he got ahead of himself with the pay per month thing, the game is very unwieldy, hard to navigate, with most people trying to turn off the artsy filters just to be able to play the game. There's very little interface too, so its hard finding where other people are.

In short, the game is unfinished and he still wanted it out the door as an mmo, when there's very few players playing it.

The game is somewhat like minecraft, except minecraft has the upper hand of being playable, having an understandable interface/visual and having a one time fee.

Simon, did I ever have you on msn or something like that btw?, I can lend you the love friend account if it still works, but I think I have to be online on the same time.
  • Synthesizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, I just played it for a few minutes. It was extremely hard to figure out what was going on, way over the top filters and a bizarre interface. I certainly wouldn't pay 10€ a month for it, 5 minutes was enough... The concept itself is interesting, but the way it's done here just doesn't work out. Minecraft is certainly a much better experience.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    So its like a high-res Minecraft. Cool :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I tried the beta, it felt like Dwarf Fortress: you need to spend hours reading documentation to even attempt to understand it. Unfortunately when I played the wiki documentation was very sparse.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    So its like a high-res Minecraft. Cool :)

Nah, its more like Minecraft watched through a vaseline smeared lense, with less defined gameplay.

basicly you play coop with a bunch of other polygonal things and run around finding tokens that you can place in the home base, and some of them are tools, like landscaping tools, and then you go and attack AI bases, and that's the larger scope of it.

it's a good idea but gameplaywise its in an alpha stage, and visually it needs a usability-overhaul.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I would love to try this game out but I just dont have the time to learn it.

It does feel a bit lame to rip on the game for not being super intuitive though, given how unique of a game it is. Most of my favorite games were difficult at first, but after a couple of weeks I started to get the hang of them and loved them. Dwarf Fortress is a good analogy for this game... the sheer complexity of it scares a lot of people away, but almost every person I know who's taken the time to figure it out has placed it in their top three games of all time.

You don't have to try it... but don't assume it's a bad game because you're not willing to figure it out.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nah, intuitiveness is simply part of good game design. If something is only playable and enjoyable at a high level of understanding then part of the design is missing. It supposed to be enjoyable from beginning to pro level, learning to get to the point where you know it inside out, and you'll lose a lot of players if you don't pay attention to how people get to the high level stuff.

Kind of dissapointing to hear tho, I love the visuals
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it feels like the game is unintuitive simply to be unintuitive... maybe the guy just doesn't have a good design sense.

edit: rooster said it best

and really, it's lame to critique bad game design?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think some people confuse depth with complexity and obtuseness.. But the prime culprite is probably not enough fresh playtests with new users. If you rely on the same people to test then they become experts and all your feedback is from a high level user, ignoring the novice and intermediate
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Dwarf fortress is incredibly intuitive if you play roguelikes. It's just that the basic gameplay mechanisms are alien to most gamers, and they don't like feeling like they have to learn a whole new thing.

Love seems very unintuitive even if you understand fps/mmo games. But quite creative and cool.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    nah, intuitiveness is simply part of good game design. If something is only playable and enjoyable at a high level of understanding then part of the design is missing.

I used to think this and I`m beginning to feel like game design is splitting into two separate threads.

Theres the games people can sit back, mash on thier controller for 10-20 hours and beat the game. This is a very passive experience, much like watching a movie.

Then there's games, for games sake- with complicated controls and systems. Often times there's a learning curve, much like chess.

I think these are the two ends of the spectrum with all shades of grey in between. Just because a game isn't easy to understand doesn't mean the game design is bad. It just means your brain has become veal after playing too many passive games, that thinking no longer is something you want to equate to a game playing experience.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played Love for about 4 or 5 hours a little while back, you can't even figure out how to play the game through trial and error. It felt like the creator never sat back and even considered usability.

I've been elbow deep in UI recently so I'm pretty familiar with usability and I'm pretty sure I could make a Love clone that you could actually figure out how to play, I just can't program for shit.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I cant say I`m standing up for Love. I just know I`ve talked to many people that say they hate puzzles, or they hate having to think to hard while playing a game. It makes me sad because I LOOOOved me some Myst back in the day. Its like part of the game, was learning how to play it.

I suppose a counter argument is that were evolving as a culture, and learning what the term "fun" means. While its a subjective word, the money being made on passive video game playing experiences probably far out weighs the money being made on rubbix cubes and chess boards.

...All you damn kids need to get the fuck off my lawn.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm 30, I guess I've been playing games for about 25 years now, I have vague memories of playing pong in my Aunt's attic. the Myst Series is one of my favorites, there was no confusion how to play Myst, just solving the puzzles. If it took me 4 hours just to figure out how to move and interact with the puzzles in Myst I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked it so much.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah love and the tools he made to create it seem so abstract and focused on what the guy wanted/needed. Haven't played it yet though.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really got hyper addicted to love for a little while, and quite honestly i believe most people dont give it a chance because they just cant get over the interface. or there own expectations of video games.

personally for me i love how alien Everything is in love, practically nothing is familiar. also you dont even get to choose your own name. i believe this is because he is trying to create something entirely unique with his game and it makes me sad that more people dont go down this road. so i would really argue that the weird interface is a design choice, otoh once you learn the interface its quite logical, minimal and efficient.

is the interface confusing? yes ofcourse, is the gameplay confusing ? you could debate this. Is it powerful ? YES, you can really do a lot with the game and the updates he makes to it only give you more options. all these options end up with an emergent world that will constantly surprise you if you take the time to try to understand it. also like he himself says, shaping an emergent world like the one he has created takes time and testing. this is the main reason i stopped playing simply because once i figured the world out, all i wanted was even more possibilities and now i am quitely lurking his twitter to see what how his project develops.

I personally prefer games where i discover things on my own, or that require me to think in new ways or to see things from a fundamnetally different angle then i am used to. unfortunately i feel as if 80-90 percent of the rest of the world simply want the-same-old-shit.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    planaria wrote: »
    personally for me i love how alien Everything is in love, practically nothing is familiar.

Seems like that is a strength and downfall. While I love to experiment in games also, when I have an MMO which is usually already daunting in the first place (although Love does seem different compared to most) it is kind of a big turn off. Interface is something that should seem intuitive while the gameplay being experimental (at least to me. We are going through a software change at work and although our workflow is the same ((slightly improved)) its going to take awhile to use this butt ugly and horrible designed interface). I do like how other MMOs and any game really do give you a kind of setup area to mess around and experiment with before it starts affecting your character you develop or the world (not just to Love but any game). At least the illusion of said change.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just have to prove how much cooler this mmo is then others by this

paper craft map maker ??

**edit : warning, image is very large**
    http://www.quelsolaar.com/love_map.png

love it, or hate it i suppose
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    planaria wrote: »
    i really got hyper addicted to love for a little while, and quite honestly i believe most people dont give it a chance because they just cant get over the interface. or there own expectations of video games.

personally for me i love how alien Everything is in love, practically nothing is familiar. also you dont even get to choose your own name. i believe this is because he is trying to create something entirely unique with his game and it makes me sad that more people dont go down this road. so i would really argue that the weird interface is a design choice, otoh once you learn the interface its quite logical, minimal and efficient.

is the interface confusing? yes ofcourse, is the gameplay confusing ? you could debate this. Is it powerful ? YES, you can really do a lot with the game and the updates he makes to it only give you more options. all these options end up with an emergent world that will constantly surprise you if you take the time to try to understand it. also like he himself says, shaping an emergent world like the one he has created takes time and testing. this is the main reason i stopped playing simply because once i figured the world out, all i wanted was even more possibilities and now i am quitely lurking his twitter to see what how his project develops.

I personally prefer games where i discover things on my own, or that require me to think in new ways or to see things from a fundamnetally different angle then i am used to. unfortunately i feel as if 80-90 percent of the rest of the world simply want the-same-old-shit.

But the problem is, he is releasing this as a product, an mmo product, with a monthly fee, essentially making this a competitor to the mmo market, while still going on with the "oh but this is a different kind of game, it is supposed to be difficult",

for example, removing the fullscreen filters would take a minute to do for him, or anyone, but he is not going to do that, because of some notion that different and artsy will make the game better, when it actually hinders what is great in love.

something like windwaker would actually be a style that love could use, and it would make it a hundred times easier to play, more accessable, without sacricing anything of the gameplay:

windwaker.jpg

There's just no room for "it's supposed to be like this, you dont like it, leave" in a commercial product.

I'm afraid Eskil will get lost in the praise he has gotten from love looking good in still pictures, and turn into some kind of new Derek Smart
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    konstruct wrote: »
    Then there's games, for games sake- with complicated controls and systems. Often times there's a learning curve, much like chess

the thing about chess is it is extremely intuitive and easy to learn the rules. This moves like that, this moves like that, now try to take the king. Learning how to play is simple with very few barriers to new players, it's the interactions between pieces which creates the enormous depth. I strongly believe that complexity doesn't equal depth, and it's depth that we should be caring about with an eye to *reduce complexity as much as possible. Chess is simple and deep.

Dwarf fortress is more like Shogi.. i don't know what on earth is going on..

ps, to give a game parallel, look at braid or portal. Theres some fecking complex stuff going on when you get into it, mind melting stuff. But did anyone feel like they were dumped into it without being carefully taught the skills they needed in the order they needed as they played? I know I felt that each challenge and gameplay element was added at such a pace that felt challenging but never overwhelming. The developers made some bold new stuff but never once dumped you into the middle of it with no explanation