Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Bartosz Guder, environment artist

dethsavage
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
dethsavage polycounter lvl 9
As it is my first post here, I like to say hail to you all ;)

I've recently finished my folio and been looking for work already, but I've decided to show you guys my work hopeing to get some critique on my works.

http://www.bartguder.com

so... fell free to ride my ass heavly on this one ;)

Cheers.

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    The train scene feels bland to me. Almost everything has a plain surface with a single color and there aren't many small or medium details. I also don't think you are using spec maps well in that scene, or in your portfolio in general, everything feels flat. That may also have to do with the renderer, (mental ray?). Try throwing your props into the marmoset engine or udk and I think they'll look a lot better.

For your website, you shouldn't have the images opening in a new window. I want to be able to click on image, then click back, go to the next one, back, etc. Right now I have to close each tab/window and open a new one, which is kind of a hassle.
  • BrendtheCow
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with predator, everything feels a bit flat. I'm not sure if it's the textures or the lighting (probably some small combination of the two), but there was a post on the forums here about focal lighting that I bookmarked. Definitely something to check out, as I think it would help push your work to the next level. The site is a nice start, though, and definitely headed in the right direction =]
  • Serp
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah if you get that train scene into UDK and get decent lighting, bloom, depth of field, smoke effects e.t.c it will go from looking good to excellent.

Also your other props will look so much better in marmoset.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    The presentation app will only do so much, Serp. It's not a magic "make awesome" method to use UDk or marmoset. I feel most of the props could benefit from a better specmap (seems very uniform, like there is barely any contrast in the specmaps). Same with your dirt/grunge in the diffuse: a bit uniform on many of the props.

But apart from that, i must say you seem to be excellent at highpoly modeling and baking. The highpoly car looks extremely clean and tight; most of the time I find that cars done by people who don't focus on them, look sloppy and bumpy, but yours hasn none fo that. The cannon is also a very impressive piece. And I like the very smart baking method you used on the gauntlet, too bad the final result still looks kinda low poly.
  • dethsavage
    Offline / Send Message
    dethsavage polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks lads. In free time, i'll try to get as much as i can from it and post it for comments. Cheers
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I keep getting adverts popping up over the top of the images, and they even cover up your header image.
  • dubcanada
    I don't see much in regards to environments. I see a lot of weapons and small assets.
    Also that ad is a complete turn off.
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 14
    Have you tried baking an ambient occlusion map with your diffuse map? It will help alot. Also you could increase the normalmap strength on some details of your models, like the gun. Have you tried crazybump?
    Good high poly models by the way.
  • Dodgeas3d
    Seems you input normal maps wrong : in mental ray (3dsmax) arch&design material you should put normal bump map in bump map slot, and set strengh to 1.0 default is 0.3. Thats why your normals dont have effect in renders.