Home General Discussion

Employment without experience

Hey there all,

I'm considering applying for an Environment Artist position which has just come up at a company not far from me but while I'm kinda taking a 'what have I got to lose' approach, I just wanted to get an idea of your experiences within companies you've worked for/currently work for.

Is it common for people to get employed at 'regular' level (ie not juniors) without any prior game industry experience?

Obviously quality of work will be a major factor when a company considers someone for employment but I've always assumed that entering the industry at any level above junior would require some previous history in the business.

So what do you think... worth applying?

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'd apply anyway - they may like your work and decide they have a Jr. position open that is not posted.

Otherwise, unless your work is stellar and you have semi-relevant experience (such as film work), you'll probably start out at a junior level.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Slum,

Yeah I figured it'd be worth a shot regardless. May as well get my name in the filing system even if I'm unsuccessful.

I thought that would be the case though as a lot of places tend to advertise mid level positions as 'exprienced artist'.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    No.

I have been with companies that hire people with no experience, but I've never seen someone become a 'staff' artist with nothing to back them up. Even if your work was at that level, if you have no production experience - you'd be a big risk. At least to me. anyways. Talent, obviously, is the main thing that should get you a job - but - there are other factors that come into play and 'make' you level up in the office hierarchy. How well you deal with others, managing people, taking on more responsibilities, knowing a typical game life cycle and what to expect, all kinds of shit that aren't necessarily in a portfolio...

If you have 'production' experience from somewhere else like film or something, then I'd say yes. But, if you're just applying because it's there and you need a job, I'd say no because it's probably awaste of time.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Well, from personal experience... the #1 reason that companies have told me is the biggest issue for someone usually getting picked over someone else (if the work is near the same) is experience level. This seems to be a recurring theme around here with some people asking similar questions, and to be honest there really isn't a magical formula. Here are some factors I have noticed:

1. No experience almost always means you are going to get hired at a company as either an intern or a junior / assistant... I haven't seen many people get hired on straight into a position with absolutely no experience... it is too much of a financial risk for a company and they are safer evaluating you in a contracted position.

2. Knowing someone in the company is a HUGEEEEEEEEE benefit. Sorry to exaggerate this, but it is something extremely helpful and worth mentioning. I have seen this first hand and have heard through 3rd party comments... if you are a friend of someone in the company they can pull strings for you that you couldn't possibly pull on your own.

3. Art Tests... Doesn't matter if you have a fantastic portfolio and you went to a 4 year uni. If you have no experience in the industry you will almost always need to take an art test.

I would say apply. Definitely. It never hurts. You never know what might happen. It really depends on the company and how strict their recruitment is.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks for the further replies.

I'm not hopeful, believe me! Fortunately I've got an ok job that pays the bills so I can't complain, but I am trying to get a foot in the door of a games company for sure.

I see what you're saying about the risk factor, I guess that's the case in any industry where it would be a gamble to take someone on without knowing if they're up to the challenge.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Hey man,

Like you said I think the decision rides a lot on your portfolio. Also, it helps a lot if your portfolio is includes the style work they will be doing. For instance, Blizzard probably wont hire you if all your work looks strait out of Uncharted 2.

Some companies will hire someone with no experience, if you fit their style, and they aren't looking for someone to carry the team, and don't mind training you up a bit. For example, my friend Empty got hired strait out of school to Netdevil as only one of two 3d artists on the team, because he had a strong portfolio, and they didn't mind entry level hires.

I recently got my first gig, which is a freelance job, which is a much easier way to get in as someone with no experience imo. But apply everywhere you can, and try to meet people. In this industry, I think you are much more likely to get hired by recommendation then a cold email.

edit- wow I thought i was going to be the first to reply, but I type too slow and like 5 people got ahead of me lol.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Gav wrote: »
    there are other factors that come into play and 'make' you level up in the office hierarchy. How well you deal with others, managing people, taking on more responsibilities, knowing a typical game life cycle and what to expect, all kinds of shit that aren't necessarily in a portfolio...

So, not to take this off topic, but would someone like me with no industry experience BUT a few years of management experience be in a better boat than others?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Depends what you're managing. Arch Vis 3d department - maybe. McDonalds - probably not.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Depends what you're managing. Arch Vis 3d department - maybe. McDonalds - probably not.

LOL It's a retail store, mostly cell phones and stuff like that. Think Best Buy, but not as greedy and not a corporation....
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Probably not then, lol.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I say apply anyway and dont get your hopes up.

If its not advertised they are after juniors then its very unlikely you will get in unless you are super duper :D but that doesnt mean you shouldnt send your stuff in and see what happens, you never know :)
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh well, it was worth a shot though wasn't it :p

At least my mod experience is decent.... But my art isn't HA That's why I program too!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks guys I will send in my app. Their website says they keep apps/folios on file for 3 months anyway so even if I don't get a callback, hopefully they may contact me re any suitable positions if they pop up later on.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    wtf.... my post got jacked.

Oh well... yeah go for it :P
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Well, there is one thing an artist with no experience can offer versus experienced applicants. You come with a lower salary cost than seniors! :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Progg wrote: »
    Probably not then, lol.

I wouldn't say that. If there were two of you going for the same position and both of you had similar portfolios it's likely that that experience would be factored in. Being able to deal with people, work with a team and all that stuff is important in the games industry. You'd still be able to carry those kind of skills over from your other managerial role.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applied... I should be hearing something either way by the middle of next week. To be honest, even if I get an interview I'll be ecstatic.

I had a good look at the job description and they list beneficial qualities as a good knowledge of architecture and real world building construction, along with lighting and colour theory. I've worked in an Architectural company for about 4 years now primarily doing Arch-Viz, and also have certificates/diplomas in lighting design and interior architecture, so my knowledge of real world construction is actually pretty good. My Dad's in the same industry and since I was a kid I've been surrounded by Architects plans and drawings all over the house.

I'm also doing a degree in my free time in Interior Design (I know, strange choice in degree) which while not directly linked, colour theory, composition (in the artistic sense) and lighting is all covered in some depth so hopefully they'll all be seen as positives.

I guess we'll see what happens!

Thanks for the replies
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I was never a junior level artist... :O.... went straight from intern (through college) to full staff....

Then again we do mostly low scope casual games.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think being an intern first is a big plus, if I was in a position to do an internship or work placement I'd do it for sure. Unfortunately though after taking a full time salary for 7 years and having bills to pay etc I'd struggle financially.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    I was never junior when i started, though i had to remind a few people of that, as i didnt have any studio experience at the time.... i did have quite a bit of freelance, mod and indie game development though
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Just because you don't have experience doesn't mean you can't get it. Mod work is a huge way to get experience working with a team while working on a pipeline that an established game company has created. For my first job, almost all the things that were discussed in the interviews were my mod experience (which I had at least a year of working for an established mod, Goldeneye Source), how I interacted with the mod team, and how the tools and pipeline worked in terms of creating art.

If you work with a good mod team, the only difference is that you don't get paid and you don't work in the same building. Most of the other skills are directly relateable to a production environment and you will have a huge leg up on someone who has never touched an engine before. Probably the biggest thing is that you will be able to discuss workflow and pipeline during an interview just like someone who has worked in production.
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank polycounter lvl 7
    I’m in the same position at the moment going to be looking for jobs after I come out of Uni but one thing I’ve been told, apply to anything you can and the more No's you get the more you can find out why through feedback. That’s if they are willing. :)
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have considered applying for a mod team, I just haven't looked into it enough. I know a few people warn of the down sides of it, like over commitment to a mod that really is just a mess from all aspects. I guess part of the process is finding a decent mod team working on a worthwhile mod.

I'm completely out of touch with the mod scene though to be honest so I might jump on moddb and have a browse. It seems it could be a useful thing to get into.
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank polycounter lvl 7
    I think I could do with some mod experience I know a bunch of programmers from my uni but there probably either going for jobs or wanting to do more complicated things.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mechwarrior Living Legends and Goldeneye Source are two mods worth looking at. I've worked on both teams, and both have good artists on the team that are willing to help new artists, have running builds and/or released content, and have active teams. They are both in kind of a sweet spot for artists, all the major features are done/released, and they just need more content, which is great because you know they won't just disappear tomorrow, and your assets will be seen by people in the near future. They are also well known enough (both have been featured in PC Gamer) that employers will recognize them as legitimate groups that have actually released successful mods.

You need to be a solid artist to get on these teams though, part of the reason they are good is that they only let in good people.

I'm obviously a bit biased since I've worked with both teams, but that is the kind of group you need to join for it to be worth it for your career, and the primary reason I picked them.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks Predator,

I'll have a look into the mods you mentioned.

As a former member of the mod teams, do you think I've got what it takes? My portfolio link is in my sig (ignore the obvious 'your portfolio repels jobs' errors, it's a DAPortfolio template site until I get the chance to put together a more simple and effective site).

Thanks again
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You look like have a solid grasp of the basic skills, and that along with the ability to actually finish a project and take constructive feedback are the main things that mod teams look for. I think you have a good enough portfolio to get an art test for a prop artist position.