Home Technical Talk

NEED TEXTURING HELP- UNWRAPPING..........

hi
please i want to learn in 3ds max hard surface texturing and organic texturing.i want to use unwrapping. but i am using original texture i.e jpg. i am trying so much time to learn this but i am failed and also i am not good in texture painting so thats y i am using jpg. texture file,but i cant edit in good manner.....
Please help me
if u have any detailed tutorial so please provide me.
THANKS

Replies

• Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    click the object you gonna texture,
    go to the modify tab,
    add "Unwrap UVW" to the list there,
    go down the UVW preferences until you see a big "Edit" button and click it,
    now click on "Mapping" on the top of the new window and choose Flatten Mapping
    now you got your UV placed out
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    There are several ways to get the help you want (like using google),

If I were you I'd go to youtube.com and search for the following keywords:
    3dsmax unwrapping uvw tutorial texturing
    like so:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3dsmax+unwrapping+uvw+tutorial+texturing&aq=f

Watch a few of them and just observe what UV is and how it works / relates to your model and the textures.

JPG has not really much to do with texturing - But for a good workflow just choose a format that has no quality loss like PNG, Bitmap or just plain Photoshop PSD.
    If you texture in Photoshop just save every now and then again and the texture if used as PSD in max should update automatically - no need to save it as JPG or whatever middle ware format which just kills time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    First, assign a checker material to your object. It helps if you make it two shades of dark gray, rather than black and white, because you'll be able to see the face edges better. Then...

1. Apply an "Unwrap UVW" modifier.
    2. Click the "Edit" button so you can see your UVs.
    3. Go into Face sub-object mode.
    4. Select the faces on the model itself that you want to be connected in the UV layout.
    5. Click "Quick Planar Map".
    6. In the Edit window, check the box for "select by element" (this makes it select by UV "shells" or "islands", rather than selecting each face/edge/vert individually), and move that piece away from the rest of the UVs so you can see it more clearly.
    7. Go to Tools>Relax... to bring up the Relax dialog.
    8. Choose "Face Angles" or "Edge Angles" (which one is best really depends on the shape of the object, but most of the time Face Angles will work) and click "Start Relax". You should see the UV shell begin to attempt to flatten itself out.
    8a. If it eventually stops trying to flatten and just rotates, then it worked. Click the button to make it stop. Go to step 9.
    8b. If it just gets all crazy and doesn't really succeed in flattening, then it didn't work. Try a different relax method (Face Angles or Edge Angles-- whichever you didn't use this time), and if that still doesn't work, go to step 9.
    9. Look at the part of the object you just UV mapped. The checker pattern should look correct and be relatively free of distortion. If it isn't, then go to step 10. If it is, go back to step 4 for the next UV shell.
    10. Most likely, you need split up this UV shell a little more to allow it to flatten correctly. To do this, go into Edge sub-object mode, and select the edge you want to turn into a seam (a break in your UVs). Go into the Edit window, and choose Tools>Break... to break that edge in the UVs. Do this for as many edges as you think you need to in order make the UV shell flattenable. Then go back to step 7. If you still can't get the checker pattern to look correct, go ask for help on the forums. Otherwise, either go back to step 4 for the rest of the model, OR if the whole model now has a flattened UV section ready, go to step 11.
    11. Your model is now flattened, but the checker pattern on your model is most likely all different sizes. To correct this, select a UV shell in the Edit window, then use the scale tool (located inside the Edit window) to scale it to match another shell. For right now, it doesn't matter what size you make them, as long as they match. Keep doing this for each shell until your checker pattern on the model appears to be the same size all over (or smaller for areas that you want more texture detail, if you like).
    12. Now that the scale is taken care of, it's time to arrange your UVs. You'll probably need to scale them some more to make them fit, but be sure that when you scale them this time, you scale them all together so they remain the same relative size to eachother. You can move and rotate them however you want until you have a UV layout you're satisfied with. The goal is to make the best use of the square space so that everything gets as many texels as posssible and you waste as few texels as possible, preferably without making it too hard to paint over when you texture. So squeeze it all in, but try to be neat about it.

That's the basics. There's more you can do to optimize things or make them more paintable, but this should be enough to get you started.