Home General Discussion

Resume submissions... Do they really hold on to them?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Progg polycounter lvl 11
So here is a question for people that have gone down this road before or have possibly been high enough on the totem pole to choose candidates. When you apply for a position at a company and say for whatever reason (more experience, better suited for the position, etc etc) someone else gets the job over you, does that company ACTUALLY hold on to your resume and look at it when a similar job becomes available or are you better off reapplying should a position open. I know they "say" they keep it on file but I was curious if they actually even look at old resumes when a position opens.

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Well, in my case they did :)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure if they hold onto them but I've had a couple of occasions where a company contacted me like 5 months after an application.
    Of course it is possible that it took them 5 months to read their inboxes as well :p
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Yozora wrote: »
    Not sure if they hold onto them but I've had a couple of occasions where a company contacted me like 5 months after an application.
    Of course it is possible that it took them 5 months to read their inboxes as well :p

Yeah I have seen that. I was just curious once they had followed through, had an interview/art test, etc.,etc (the whole works) and then had another position open 2-3 months down the road if they kept that last person on file in case.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had that happen recently so before I reapplied I sent an e-mail to the person I was in contact with to let them know I was reappling. I'm still "on file" but I got a new art test pretty quick.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    I was recently emailed by a company to ask if I was still interested after having pretty much shot me down a year ago. Don't know if anything will come of it, but I was just happy to see that they actually kept and reviewed my application.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Ok that's what I wanted to know. Thanks guys.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Progg, I talked to one of the hirer's over at Net Devils a while back and they said what really helps is putting key words in resumes, cover letters, etc.

HR will often do a database inquiry of certain words when a position opens for people who have applied within the last 6 months.

Of course it don't think it ever hurts to get in contact with the company if a position opens you're interested in to make sure they look at your stuff.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately in my experience most companies are not very organized with their submissions, even if they have a designated HR person or dept. It's too bad, but it's very rare to work with HR that is on top of their game.

Best bet is to have a friend that works there, and have them recommend you. Barring that, it's ok to re-submit every couple months or so, just to get back in the front of the email notifications.

I put some good reads here.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/GameBusiness
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I got a job once because they kept my resume. By the time they called I had no idea anymore who they were :)

But I think Eric is right - I wouldn't think that many companies actually keep your stuff, when some don't even manage to send any sort of response back...
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I'm having a hard time getting into contact with a studio I interviewed with. I'm not going to name names but so far I have emailed 2 people at the studio with no email response in 3 weeks. :|
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not about not keeping them. When stuff used to be sent in the mail, yeah it was tossed more often than kept. But now everything is email- or web-submitted, so it's all there. There's always a huge stack of submissions in that email folder, or in that database. And the files stay there for years, or however long IT sets it up to recycle.

Sifting through it all is the killer. Most companies don't stay on top of it day by day, except to do the minimum which is to find a worthy candidate for an open spot. The rest of the decent candidates are either flagged in the database as such, or the whole mass is left there for later mining.

Getting a personalized reply is rare, unless you're being seriously considered for the spot, or you have a friend that works there who's asking HR about you, or if you're using a good recruiter.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time getting into contact with a studio I interviewed with. I'm not going to name names but so far I have emailed 2 people at the studio with no email response in 3 weeks. :|

Do you have a phone number? How many e-mails have you sent to each person? Sometimes things get flooded down, or people check things and then forget to respond.

Lastly, there could be a chance that they just don't care. I've taken art tests, and heard nothing back, despite me following up to even see if they got it. It's the ignoring treatment, if after 2 or 3 e-mails to one person they don't respond within a months period of time it's pretty safe to say they'll contact you if they're interested... eventually, but don't hold your breath.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Well this was an art test followed by 2 interviews with the HR dept and the Lead and then a final convo about sealing the deal in 2 weeks. It's been 4-5 since then with 2 emails to HR and 1 to the lead without a response. I really liked the feel and they seemed to be really interested at the time.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd follow back up with the lead again once more if your last e-mail was sent more than a week ago. Just ask simply if you're still being considered the postion or if you should pursue other options.

They're pretty much forced to respond at that point and either say they're no longer interested, or they're still interested but things might be on hold at the momment.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Well I would think after 4-5 emails someone would atleast give an answer. I just don't want to come off as a spammer. I just don't see how you miss that many, but maybe I am mistaken.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Progg wrote: »
    So here is a question for people that have gone down this road before or have possibly been high enough on the totem pole to choose candidates. When you apply for a position at a company and say for whatever reason (more experience, better suited for the position, etc etc) someone else gets the job over you, does that company ACTUALLY hold on to your resume and look at it when a similar job becomes available or are you better off reapplying should a position open. I know they "say" they keep it on file but I was curious if they actually even look at old resumes when a position opens.

They keep it in their records for 3 months and call you for an interview as soon as the position that you applied for comes available. If they misplace it or throw it away and the position becomes available, they will call you for an interview and request you to bring a copy of your CV because it shows on the record that you applied. During those 3 months you can not apply for the same company again.

Edit: As for emails they would consider the CVs that were emailed to them at the very least unless they are recruiting people, not hiring someone to replace someone else who is leaving in 2 weeks. Reason is because they rarely get a chance to read it due to massive mail recieves.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it can be very possible I have friends who miss that many e-mails (2 or so). The first one might have never gotten seen because of so many other e-mails. The next one could've been looked at and they read it, and mean to reply but something else came up. Next thing you know they didn't write it down, and the e-mail is marked as already read so they disregard it.

It happens.

On a side note, my friend met with people from dreamworks in December, and they told him he'd have an interview in January for a position there. He kept following up every few weeks, and he FINALY now this week has his interview there.

Finaly when he said he had an interview at another place they realized they needed to do something.

I don't know if you have anything else going on, but sometimes a little incentive for them to respond doesn't hurt. If in fact you went through all that other process, in your next e-mail I'd try to make your request urgent.

As in, "I'm planning on taking a contract position for x amount of weeks unless I hear from you before XXXX" or "I have another interview for this position and want to know if you're still interested or if you've filled the position."

It seems very odd to have gone through all of that and they don't respond....
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it's always great to have competition. Sadly it has almost been a full year since I graduated and all I was able to do was a 3 month internship. I would love to say I had a bunch lined up but unfortunately this offer is just about the last desperate thing I have at the moment. Maybe something better will come along, I can only hope.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, I'm in the same situation you're in. Just gotta keep plugging away. You're portfolio looks really solid, and from my understanding there should be more entry level positions opening up at most studios in the next 2-3 months. I've been told that a lot of places are hiring senior level staff and waiting for project to get the green light before hiring on new grads. You have some good experience too with that internship.

All I can say is good luck and maybe try to expand your search? There are more jobs than you think out there, just have to find them... luckily I have a buddy with a knack of finding job openings that he sends my way... from studios I've never even heard of.

If you have a few days to spare it might not be a bad idea to just look at games released in the last year and see what companies they came from. And just send an app in to most. 90% of jobs aren't posted online. And 50% of those that are, aren't posted on places like Gamasutra or Creative Heads etc.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the help man. I appreciate it. Yeah I think we have the same mindset... I've been applying to everything like mad since my internship ended 7 months ago. I also spent a few days like you said researching a bunch of games that were released. I bookmarked a ton of companies I had never heard of, some of which I did get responses. I know it will work out, the hardest thing for me personally is seeing all of my buddies going all over the place and not being able to continue working in the industry with them.

It's hard without experience to really get inside connections, that is part of the reason I love polycount so much. Initially all I was trying to do was network more people from the industry but it blossomed into motivation to do work, advice, critiques, and fun discussions as well.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's the beauty of polycount. And really isn't the work, advice, critiques etc. the best way to network anyways?

You're building a resume right here on these boards, people read these, and there are a ton of lurkers. If you take and receive critcism well and give good advice to others, people take notice. If there is one thing I've learned it's reputation accounts for a lot.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    The other week I had a studio send me back my showreel in the post as they closed down, weird thing is it was from when I first started applying about 3 years ago, have no idea why they would keep it as its terrible haha. I had the same thing about a year ago aswell when NCsoft closed its doors in Brighton UK. I know aswell that a few studios have me on record but theres just no jobs at the moment! So freelancing until something opens up.

Make sure you are sending physical stuff aswell as emails when applying, a nicely printed CV and fancy showreel goes a long way and also leaves an impression as opposed to something just saved on their computer thats easily forgettable and hard to log.

I hope everything works out for you Progg, your swamp scene is great!!!!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    vcortis wrote: »
    You're building a resume right here on these boards, people read these, and there are a ton of lurkers. If you take and receive critcism well and give good advice to others, people take notice. If there is one thing I've learned it's reputation accounts for a lot.

True that, and if only someone people understood that.

But I think that if your resume is really something special then they will keep it. Or if its so bad that they want to use it to boost moral of everyone on the team by laughing at it.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We hold onto them at work. We also get people in even if we dont have jobs going because in such a volatile industry (im in VFX) people change companies quite often so striking up a good relationship with prospective artists is never a bad thing. We had a clear out the other day of old showreels, it was amusing to see how far back they went and what was on some of them :D
  • Emperors Teeth
    Core Design once got back to me many months after I sent it in. Didn't get much further for some mysterious reason , but they did phone me out of the blue so it can happen.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny, there's a thread about this subject (non-response for applicants) on TCE right now. Same basic conclusions, though apparently the US is worse in general at replying than the UK.

Unfortunately I think there's the general mindset of "we get so many applicants, we don't need to spend the time to reply, we'll just be getting more anyhow." Which is not a great way to look at it, but that's the way it is.

If you're hurting for cash, take any old job, but keep adding to your portfolio and applying. Persistence pays off!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Do you think it would come off as either 1. nagging, or 2. persistent to give HR at the company a phone call. I've never really "called" a company to check on a position but I also never had a positive response that I couldn't get back in touch with.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have a particular person you have been in contact with's phone number and they said we will call you in 2 weeks, I don't think it is in bad taste to call them after 4-5 weeks just to see if you are still being considered. I was getting looked at for a while by a particular company, and they said, " we will call you next week to set up an in person interview", took a month and a half to get a hold of them and the spot was filled, sucks, but with the amount of submissions they get if they only have 1-2 designated hr people I'm sure its hard to stay organized top of things.

Wishing you luck sir.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't call. Unless they've specifically given you their number, or you know them personally.

Often people will simply change their minds. That's what a series of interviews is for, making up their minds about an applicant. And it can change in a heartbeat. And sometimes they won't tell you, just the way it is.