Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

m4 - wip

I know this gun has been modeled to death but its my first HP weapon so i thought id give it a whirl.

Heres the current WIP.

Feedback welcome.

m4.jpg

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Watch your proportions. The space for the trigger and trigger guard are getting small compared to the mag well and the lug for the pistol grip.

There are dead-nuts accurate 3D CAD files and Solidworks objects for the standardized AR lower receiver floating around the net. A little googling should turn one of them up (or at very least, a dimensioned 2D CAD drawing) pretty quickly. That should be the silver bullet in keeping your proportions and forms accurate.

Also, I think you may have modeled the dust cover inside out. There's different types, so it may be correct, but check and double-check your references for the specific rifle you're depicting.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we see some wire frame shots? Topology is half the battle.
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill definatley look for those cad files, thanks.

Here is a new update. Still just getting the shapes together mostly

m4_v2.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most upper receivers have a protrusion at the rear that goes all the way over the back of the top of the charging handle. It's hard to tell from the angle of your second render if that is there - right now it kind of looks like the top of the charging handle is protruding well above the receiver.

Also, there don't appear to be any undercuts on your top rail, they have a <-> cross section. They'll start at the rear with a lug instead of a space, too.

Here's an example of the charging handle:

Uploaded_633964104605155000_File.JPG
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    I think you def need to google more ref pics though.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well.... to a european gun "rookie" like me i.e. i only see them on tv and in call of duty... this looks like an m4 ... keep at it! Some guy on Polycount recently made an excellent m4 i thought... have a search!
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Can we see some wire frame shots? Topology is half the battle.

block shape > cut smaller shape > add control loops = battle won... is not so hard... surely is more a battle on the game mesh

I think he need more reference... guns are hard i think becuase there is a lot of varied shapes in a small space and because of FPS... is goos to capture that in the mesh it seems
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have quite a bit of reference coming from here http://www.pixagogo.com/0896214432 but its still hard to tell sometimes how things work and to see the fine detail so thanks to everyone for explaining some of my problem areas. I will definitely address those issues.

I am definitely a "rookie" when it comes to guns. The modeling isnt the hard part its understanding how a gun actually works lol.

Thanks again everyone.
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am currently still stuck in haiti, so i have my issued m4 here with me, i got a camera too, but a slow connection so if you would like me to take some photos for you i can, i can break it down in parts and take pics if that would help just let me know what kind of angles you need.
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tweaked some of the proportions (esp in mag well) and try to fix up the top rail the best i could.

m4r.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THAT's looking more like the proportions of the rifle I know and love. Looking good.

Be sure to look closely at the seam between the upper and lower receiver. Right now it looks like you have the seam going straight back from the pivot pin at the front. The top of the lower receiver sweeps back up to the loop that supports the buffer tube (which you haven't modeled yet).

ar15_drawing_lower_2.jpg
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that is a excellent model of a lower receiver.
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.
    Right now it looks like you have the seam going straight back from the pivot pin at the front. The top of the lower receiver sweeps back up to the loop that supports the buffer tube (which you haven't modeled yet).

can you explain further what you mean.. im a little confused lol
  • ChanceCoats123
    ^^^The upper half pivots via the pin in the front of the lower half, the area below the charge handle is in more a curved shape (shown in the picture linked by garage) and the way you have it modeled, it is a simple boxed corner.

Looks pretty solid though. IMHO, the charge handle looks a little skimpy. Last time my father and I shot the RR was a month or two ago, but I don't remember it being quite as small...
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve wrote: »
    Now that is a excellent model of a lower receiver.

There ain't no better hard surface modeler in the world than a guy with a Mech. Eng degree and a copy of Solidworks.

But he can't paint worth shit. :D
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update. fixed some more issues.

m4r3.jpg
  • ChanceCoats123
    The curve is much better. I can't tell if you changed the charge handle any, but it looks a bit beefier from the back in this render. Nice work.
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah im actually still working on the charge handle.

Here is a closer detailed render.

m4_receiver
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A very good improvement looking good, just keep looking at more references, like the parts, google lower/upper receivers etc.. try and find up close and personal pics, im sure there are plenty of sights where people take pics of their m4s and post pics on those gun fanatic forums.
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A very good improvement looking good, just keep looking at more references, like the parts, google lower/upper receivers etc.. try and find up close and personal pics, im sure there are plenty of sights where people take pics of their m4s and post pics on those gun fanatic forums.

I do realize the importance of reference images and I have quite a bit. Like I said before some of the resolution pics i have make it hard to make out some detail and I'm not real familiar with the anatomy of most guns. If there is something specific you see that is wrong please let me know and ill dp my best to fix it up.

Thanks!
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the final version of the high poly. I know there are still some accuracy issues but I learned a lot making this gun and will pay a lot closer attention next time. I really think i need to start over on the upper receiver lol. But I want to get this finished so here it is.

m4r4.jpg