Home Technical Talk

Maya to 3ds Max tutorials/transition help?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
vcortis polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, so I started using XSI about 5 years ago then made the switch to maya about 4 years ago... I've never touched max except maybe twice. I have no idea how to use it at all and was wondering if anyone knew of any good basic tutorials to get me started or a website that could walk me through a transition or something.

I just got an art test from a company who wants me to do the entire thing in Max and while there isn't a time limit, I'd like to submit it sooner rather than later if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention I'll primarily be using Max to Model and Texture objects. I'll also need to know a little bit about lighting... like lightmaps and vertex color. I'm familiar with both from an Unreal engine point of view but now Max.

Replies

• tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Well if you were doing Maya for the last 4 years, then the transition should be easy. Modeling / texturing concepts are the same no matter what app you use, you just need to find where the tools are.
    To start you can take a look at this site: http://cg.tutsplus.com/tag/basix/

and actually the first tut walks you through the basics.

Good luck! :thumbup:
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    As soon as youve got to grips with the viewport controls and the modifier stacks you should be good to go! I only just recently made a push to learn max myself, and it can be pretty daunting but just stick with it and I'm positive you'll have everything sorted soon enough :)
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    In the past i remember using a transitional guide from 3dsmax to maya from alias website. This would help you. But I can't find this anymore. :( Take your time. Do not try to work the way you did in maya, you will be disappointed.

Learn how max does things and you will find it at least as good.
    I highly recommend the tutorials of max!!!!

I think these are enough to get you started.
    check them both as one has what the other one doesn't :)

this is old.. but it is pretty much still valid and has almost everything you might need.
    http://www.megalune.com/mega/wp-content/content/shortcuts_3dsmax.pdf

this has less but with images.
    http://projects.cbe.ab.ca/western/harker-desanim/Animation/3DStudioMAX-hotkeys.pdf

ofc if you need to find equivalents for workflows you can always ask here.
    it will possibly result to a little flame-war but you will get lots of tips as a result :)

a few videos that might help
    http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/beginner-modeling-methods-and-techniques-in-3ds-max-basix/

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/an-introduction-to-3ds-max-polygonal-modeling-tools-day-1/

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/an-introduction-to-3ds-max-polygonal-modeling-tools-day-2/

and here for a lot more of them and more advanced topics.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/

audio is not all that great in some.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk wrote: »
    In the past i remember using a transitional guide from 3dsmax to maya from alias website.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/3dmax_to_maya.pdf

A bit out of date, but still helpful.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    www.3dbuzz.com look at the unreal tutorials for modeling.

http://lounge.ego-farms.com/
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys thanks for the links. They're super helpful, my workflow is already getting up to speed. It'll just take a few days to get fully aquainted.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    The best hotkey function you will ever learn is SHIFT-x
    constrain edge is the awesomeness
    learn or re-assign hotkeys to something you are familiar with from Maya.
    I recently have been making the switch and there are things i love and things i miss. Having become OCD on marking menus in Maya, mouse navigation has increased a lot, but quads are still extremly useful.
    Play around with some stacking and really dedicate some time to a few good tests. It's just another tool and for modeling you will make the switch very easily.
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    To add, this plugin saved my life & time! Plus it saved me learning the horrid max viewport controls (my opinion) Max works just like maya for me now. http://draster.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,7/flypage,software-flypage/product_id,18/option,com_virtuemart/

I still use it to this day and will never uninstall it.

~t
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    Some really experienced users of both applications in other forums, and myself (with the experience of teaching for 4 years in college), would actually recommend against that while you begin to learn a new tool.

It might create a connection with ways you used to work in the other software and lead you to try work in the same way you used to, by natural inclination, (brain goes immediately to the easy way of what is used to) in a tool which has a different philosophy in modeling and design. This could be frustrating. While they both can do the same things, they do them a bit differently in some cases. i.e. a discussion about selecting UV shells some time ago. something that is not necessary for max and is out of its philosophy was implied to be a shortcoming. Selecting UV shells might have been very useful and fast in maya for lack of other options in the past, but not for max.

I strongly recommend to learn max as it is. This way you will really see what is faster or not in its workflow. After you experience its workflow as it is, then you could use this tool and shortcuts to compliment it if you wish to. And that would be truly beneficiary.

Doing the opposite might actually keep you away from discovering some very beneficial workflow aspects max has to offer and slow down your progress.

On top of that, embrace graphite tools. Regardless what old users of max might say, (many hate it) graphite tools is a VERY powerful toolset that only takes some time for us to get used to but eventually is a much faster and better approach always combined with the stack! For a new user it wouldn't be so difficult. Personally i love them and i use graphite tools very often by snapping out and keeping afloat tabs that i use most. After you get used to this workflow more then also put it on expert mode for maximum screen space usage.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Y: try switcher, really. No need to force oneself to use inferior navigation schemes when there is a better one out there. Max's default sucks and is RSI inducing (mmb pressed all the time). Maya's relies on a much lighter setup for your hands. Health > theory!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Also, a summary of what you need Cortis :

- Creating geometry : on the right part of the layout, first tab 'create'. Polygonal spheres, cubes, and so on.
    - To start modifying this : right-click on the primitive you just created, convert to > edit poly (bottom right of the popup menu aka 'quad')
    - Now the panel on the right side should be switched to edit mode. You can go through components by clicking on the red icons, or pressing 1 2 3 4 5 6
    - All the modeling tools are in this panel (at this stage the modifier stack should display 'edit poly' ). Just look around, you'll find everything in buttons and spinners form (extrude, bevel, cut ...). You'll assign shortcuts to them later.
    - If you need to make procedural changes to the overall shape, click in the dropdown at the top of the edit panel. It will open a huge list of 'modifiers'. Simply type the first letter of what you want to do ('b' for bend) to go through the list. Click on the want you want. (useful ones : symmetry, bend, ffd3, ffd4, UVmap, UnwrapUVs, STLcheck, pathdeform, editpoly)
    -The 'stack' piles up with the added modifiers. You can toggle them on and off (bend your object on or off) by clicking the little lightbulb. If you go to the bottom of the stack, but still want to display the final result while working on lower level stuff, click the little chemistry tube to display end result.
    -either keep the non destructive modifier on and keep working, or, right click your object again to convert it back to raw edit polygon and keep working. Rinse and repeat.
    -You can very well add an 'edit poly' modifier on top of an ... editable poly. Lets say you have a cylinder primitive. Apply a bend modifier on it. Then lets say you want to extrude one face on the bent shape, or modify some loops. For this, stack up : Bend, and Edit Poly modifiers. The Edit poly modifier on top of the stack will give you back access to the components, in a non destructive way. You can delete a face at this level, or make double edges for sharp subd - you can still go back down to the bend below this, to change the angle. Your changes will carry over in a non destructive manner.
    -editing the pivot : hierarchy panel, 'affect pivot only'
    -transform type-in : f12
    -freeze transformations : in the Utilities panel (just like modifiers, only hmmm different), in the drop down : reset x form. Click it 3 times. Then right click on your object, convert to edit poly.
    -Axis and coordinates controls : on the top bar, near the move/scale/rotate icons. Also most of the top bar icons are dropdowns, and sensitive to right click for options. (try it on the snap icon).

You're good to go!!!
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    yiannisk I'm not sure if your post was a reply to mine, but believe me I tried! If fact I used to be a max diehard up to version 4.2, but when I discovered Maya, it all changed.
    I was even told by Paul Neale exactly what you said in this first paragraph, I just don't like Max nav controls, Pior said it best :)

And as far as I know, it hasn't harmed me in the last 3 years of using it.