Home Technical Talk

Wacom Bamboo pen or pen & touch?

Hey,

I want to buy a bamboo tablet from wacom but I'm not quite sure which version.
I saw serveral reviews for both (pen and pen&touch).
Both versions are pretty much the same except, that pen&touch has 1024 sensitivy (instead of 512), expression keys and a eraser on the pen.

There is a ~25€ price difference (pen:50€, pen&touch:75€) so I wonder which one I should buy?

I want to use it for Zbrush and Photoshop work :)

Hope you can help me!
Cheers

Replies

• Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm about to buy my first tablet too(?). Though I'm fanatical enough to go directly for the Intuos4 M. A 370 euro tablet.

Being my first, I can't really be of any assistance. I just wanted to share with you polycounters how far I'm going in my freak fanaticism.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    To Divine:

Check out the Intuos 3 lineup. They dropped in price. Still awesome

Sebi:

I would grab the pen and touch since it has the extra sensitvity esp for zbrush and photoshop. Also you could grab the regualr bamboo, then upgrade down the road to Intuos 4 or whatever down the road...
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    Check out the Intuos 3 lineup. They dropped in price. Still awesome

you can only get intuos3 2nd hand these days
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the extra senvitivity really worth it?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I had a Bamboo once, however after investing in the Intuos 3 I never looked back.

You should be able to buy a cheap one on ebay (I think mine was £150 for A5 which is really the only size you need).
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't have the money for a Intuos.
    Bamboo is my only option ;)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saving a bit of cash not an option?

I know it seems like we're pushing you to pay extra for an Intuos, but the difference is night and day. Even if you get a second hand Intuos 3.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Baj is right you know? Saving up for Intuos is the way to go. Bamboo is for those who have never used it or just use it for fun. It does the job for you but eventually you will want to buy Intous so why not save up and buy it?

I am using bamboo and planning on buying Intous soonish.
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why Intuos? what is better?
    I can get 1024 sensitivity with bamboo...

I really dont have 100€ extra

Maybe there are concrete arguments why intuos is the beter solution :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm on my 7th PC and my 2nd Wacom. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but you will outgrow the Bamboo long before it stops working. I've used both and I prefer the Intous4 over the bamboo. But it's hard to see the difference before you use both so you should probably stick to the Bamboo and at some point down the road, upgrade, when you can see and feel the difference. It seems like kind of a waste if you can't see or feel the difference?

BUT I totally see the point of getting an intous and growing into it. They last, so why not get something that will do all you need at all stages rather than starting with something that won't suit your needs later on.

BUT if money is a factor getting a Bamboo would get you started and give you time to save up at a slower pace. Just don't use intous until you can afford it. It will ruin the Bamboo for ya =P
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me personally, its not just the technical things such as the sensitivity but also the build, in particular the pen. It just feels more natural and comfortable and I think thats definitely an important factor when making a decision.

Is it worth getting a Bamboo now and then paying extra for an Intuos down the line or should you just get a cheap Intuos 3 now.

If its possible, I would try to demo an Intuos if you get the chance.

Whatever you do, here's some golden advice.

"NEVER PURCHASE A TABLET WITH "TRUST" IN THE TITLE!!"

You have been warned...
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for your advice, I will think about it :)
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I still use a bamboo with zbrush and photoshop. The bamboo does have an eraser on the pen so they both have that feature... I would kill for more sensitivity though (512 is OK for photoshop, but not for zbrush) I think the best advice I can give you (which poop gave in a camera thread here awhile ago) is: just get something. You'll find out what you need and can upgrade from there. The bamboo willbe a fine start, but if you get into serious work, it will do the job.... only it'll be much harder than it should ;)
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ DarthNater
    Is the diffrence between 512 sens and 1024 sens really that big in zbrush?
    Some more infos would be nice ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a difference you really have to feel for yourself. It's a "You don't know what you're missing until its gone" sort of thing. You can't really observe an example of the improvement, you need to experience it. I can record a video of me petting a bunny and telling you its soft, then petting another bunny and telling you its softer but it really doesn't do much good.

Without ever using a tablet its hard to notice the difference because everything is so new and awkward. Once you get comfortable with it all and give both a try you'll notice the difference. You'll also notice the quality in the pen, the nibs and the surface.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, like Vig said, it's impossible to describe until you use it. But think of it this way:

You're doubling your sensitivity, so you'll be able to do finer, less effective strokes with 1024 vs. 512. Sounds counter productive to say less effective, but it's just easier making something like a facial line with more sensitivity.
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thank you two =)
    Now I'm hesitate with those two bamboo versions and a used intuos 3 for 150€ (which i couldn't afford now =( ) :D
    Damn.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well you also have to ask yourself a few more questions. Will you be using the tablet a lot? What type of 3d/2d work will you be doing? (If you're painting or you're doing any 3d character work, you better get the best damn tablet you can :P). While having a good tablet to do environment work would be awesome, you may not need the same features as a character artist.
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well actually I'm a hardsurface / environment modler. With the support of a tablet I want to look depper in Zbrush for detail modeling. But i also would like to start with some characters (modling and poly paint in zbrush)

In Photoshop I would benefit from the tablet for texturing my work and make sketches /concept art.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i got a bamboo pen and touch. the eraser realy helps so i dont need to hit the eraser button on ps
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I'm searching for a Intuos3 A5 for 100€ or less.
    Does anyone have an idea where I could get the tablet for such a price? :)

I'm already sneaking around on ebay ... :D
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try looking into wacoms used models corner.
    A friend bought an a3 intuos 3 there for 100 euros.
    Pretty epic.
    It was cheaper then the a6wides in the same section probably they
    cant get rid of so big ones.
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unfortunately there isn't such a good offer right now
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a friend of mine got a barely used cintiq on craig's list. don't know if this helps
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's craig's list? :D
  • Mark Dygert
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I already found it before.
    The list doesn't offer me a wacom in germany though.
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for doublepost, but I wonder what you guys think about the wacom intuos3 A6.

Is it too small and doesn't worth it for its price of 150 bucks?

Cheers
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Push*

I'm still searching for a tablet.
    I followed ebay for weeks now, but every intuos3 got sold with 180€ or higher.
    Sorry for doublepost, but I wonder what you guys think about the wacom intuos3 A6.

Is it too small and doesn't worth it for its price of 150 bucks?

Cheers

What do you think?
    Should I go with a bamboo pen&touch (which has 1024 sensitivity esp!) or a bamboo pen (only 512sens esp)?

Greetz