Home General Discussion

Inspirational People?

shinobix
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
shinobix polycounter lvl 16
Hey Guys,
I was just thinking about something. When at work, or at home working on personal stuff, there comes a point with every creative person when they hit that creative brick wall and look to others for inspiration.
I'm curious to know who you guys turn to for inspiration? For me, I usually find myself looking at the following:
The Art of Star Wars books by Del Rey Publishing,
Any Art of Final Fantasy books I can find.
Sid Meid and Ron Cobb designs.
Creature work done by Stan Winston's Workshop.
Many different threads on Polycount.
The Art of Matt Rhodes.
Anything by Blizzard. Just to name a few.

What about you?

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Heroin and masturbation
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    A few:

Terrence McKenna
    Robert Anton Wilson
    Amano
    Katsuhiro Otomo
    Moebius
    Harlan Ellison
    Phillip K Dick
    H.R. Giger
    Keith Thompson
    Paul Richards
    Juan Gimenez
    etc, etc..
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin! Haha, I almost spat out my coffee!! Haha.

Good list 8ftSpider!! Moebius is Awesome!!
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    Heroin and masturbation
    You too huh? Lol.

For me its pretty much all the tech/game pioneers.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The drive to become a better artist then those people is what fires me up the most. Not the art itself. More a competitive mindset then aww look how far out that is!
    And above all that to destroy myself is my biggest motivational source.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens,
    I hear ya about trying to outdo the inspirational people. Its always good to try to exceed your goals. :D
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    lately for me, Cory McAbee, the musician/director.
    edit: oh and Ashley Wood
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Heroin and masturbation

This is actually a Scottish folk band. Surprisingly popular amongst the young people.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is Heroin and Masturbation really a band!?? haha. Nice. I'll have to look them up.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    A lot of the big guys on these forums are pretty inspirational like Adam for one. Stefan Morrell is another, Johnstones work has been ruined because now all can see when I look at his work are white stains in the textures and needles everywhere. Bram Eulaer is a biggy as well.

I'm tend to like subtle models that tie a scene together and make it as a whole pretty epic. Johnstones the exception of course.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Adam has some really nice work. Stefan Morrell's texturing tutorial for hardsurface texturing is almost bible for a lot of artists. As for Johnstones work, yep, its pretty fabulous stuff with a crazy amount of detail.
    I find a lot of peoples work on here is awesome! Also, I'm really glad to see that Polycount has a lot of artists that focus on Environment work. Other sites seem to have a general focus on just characters. I like the Variety here :D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Hayao Miyazaki
    Massimiliano Frezzato
    Auguste Rodin
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The smurfs really inspired me
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    Heroin and masturbation

Here here.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I'm much more inspired by traditional artists than digital 3d ones. So Traditional sculpture really inspires me, as well as a lot of 2d guys, digital or not.

Simon Lee
    Jordu Schell
    Jason Chan
    Takayuki Takeya
    Casey Love
    Shiflett Bro.s
    Martin Canale
    Auguste Rodin (gates of hell is one of the most inspirational pieces ever made in the history of man)
    Frank Frazetta
    Mark Newman
    Keith Thompson
    Gabe Perna
    Rick Baker
    Simon Bisley

But that's not to say there's NO Digital 3D guys that inspire me. A few are:

rv_el
    Cesar Decol JR.
    Kenneth Scott
    Josh_Singh
    Kolby Jukes

There's a few more, but you can see, there's a LOT more traditional sculpting, and 2D guys.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'm simple, for me i get inspiration from polycount, comics, movies and games. But above all of that the real world (everything not on the computer)!

2D: (I can only ever remember the names of some of the comic artists)
    Adi Granov
    Clayton Crain
    Geof Darrow
    Mark Djurdjevic
    Tony Moore

3D:
    Guys at work, but mostly polycounters, and a few movie guys who show their work.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Speed drawings on the youtube, Warhammer Podcast.
    I havent settled my idol artist(s) yet because I am not at that pro level in 2d and 3d, but whenever I will, I will pick Blizzard, Or GameWorkshop
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The best part is, I get to call most of those I get inspired from my friend as well!

• Paul Pepera (Eraserhead) - His understanding of 'art', specifically in the 3D world, is something I admire.
    • Josh Singh - He's never (seriously, NEVER) created something I didn't spend some good time raping with my eyeballs.
    • Manny (~Austin) - This dude bleeds Star Wars, and gets to create some majory players in the SW universe on a professional level. Colour me envious.
    • Vince Joyeux (Vahl) - His attention to detail is something I looked up to some 3 or 4 years ago and try to apply that same attention to my own work.
    More recently, Emil (formerly of Australia!) has a drive to help see polycount succeed that is certainly contagious and Jason Lavoie's drive to improve his skillset is just too fun to watch you can't help but admire the dude.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I browse around the forum most of the time.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    hmmm wow. this is tough. There are loads of amazing artists out there, and I always manage to see something really inspirational almost every day.

off the top of my head these are some of my fav artists past and present that I admire...

2D:

Adam Hughes
    Claire Wendling
    Norman Rockwell
    Drew Struzan
    Yoji Shinkawa
    Akiman and a few other prominent capcom artists back in the day whose names escape me
    James Hawkins (concept artist for Epic)
    Humberto Ramos
    Jason Scott Campbell

3D:

harder for me to nail down a few but the guys at Epic have always impressed me. Their work is always a great source of inspiration.
    The team at Naughty Dog are also an impressive bunch
    The artists at Valve, amazing also
    Stefan Morrel
    and anyone who makes really badass guns :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • Rens
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Usually just dig into pimping and previews.

As for all around inspiring in the gaming field, always thought Carmack was a hell of a guy, had as much of an influence as anyone creating the first person shooter and helped orchestrate much of what we consider current gen graphics. Obviously not anywhere near what we do here, but that's what makes it all the more awe inspiring.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    lately for me, Cory McAbee, the musician/director.

Good call Rooster! Didn't think anybody would be into Mr Mcabee on here. I just watched Stingray Sam the other week and thouroughly enjoyed it - not as dark as American Astronaut but still a really funny, fresh take on the whole thing.

Also I have got to put a shout in for Paul Bonner... oh and the Spectrum: Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art books - http://www.spectrumfantasticart.com/books.php?id=928 - they have some great stuff published in them and you can often find them on Amazon for fairly cheap.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me lately it's been Terence McKenna, Doug Stanhope and Dead Kennedys. :D
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fat Cap, good call on the books. Spectrum is really good!
    I just dl'd 250 issues of Heavy Metal Magazine, starting from the very first issue. I've been finding a lot of inspiration in those magazines as well. There are some sick french comic artists out there, that's for sure!!
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Marvin Heemeyer
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Kevin (of course), JordanW, Mikey Spano and Demond Rogers (yeah I have a hard on for Epic, wanna fight about it)

Adam, Vig, Eraserhead, Poop (mainly his photos), everyone involved with Eat3D, and mainly all the polycount vets...