Home General Discussion

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
So one of the features we've talked about for the new website is a "TOTY" award - Trailer of the Year award. Were there videos released prior to a game launch that had us more excited for that game than any other?

It seems silly - why not review the whole game - but we're an art site and cutting an excited video and showing the user the game in 90 seconds, we think, is an art on to itself.

Right now, the Ghost Recon: Future Soldier trailer could be a contender.

It doesn't have a lick of in-game stuff, but its still a very exciting trailer.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfpCkO1w9-k[/ame]

HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ultranationalist-coup-ghost-recon/63642

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't wait for this game to be released, I've always been a huge fan of the Ghost Recon series. And I think having a Trailer of the Year award is a great idea. There aren't many things that get me as excited as a good trailer, such as that Knights of the Old Republic trailer by Blur, or the newest cinematic trailer for Brink.

By the way, anyone else automatically think "Combine" soldiers when you saw the dudes with the white masks in the opening? Haha
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    :D

Once a gameplay trailer is released, I think there will be a new appreciation for this trailer as well.

p.s. buy it. :D
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is truly for the win, but I am biased.
    :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The action was good, but holy hell some of the vfx in that trailer were maximum cheeseball. A few neat things, but a lot of it was just bad compositing. Too distracting for me to really get into it, I'll hold out for in game footage.

edit: came off a bit high and mighty... It wasn't terrible, and a lot of people probably won't notice, but some of the squibs and muzzleflashes especially looked bad. The action was cool, and overall it was really well put together.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Looks decent although the explosion effects were kinda weak.

Until Ubisoft remove that draconian drm thats plauged their recent titles I won't be buying any of their games.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Buy it for Console and move on?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I prefer to play my games on PC, for what some call a dying platform, i still have the best gaming experience's on it.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah this is the first big game I get to work on, hope you guys like it when it comes out!

Trailer was pretty cool, didn't really like how they just stand while shooting at everything at the end, they are bad ass elite ghost dudes, but you'd think they'd still hide a bit behind cover.

Jonathan, Geezus, you guys at Redstorm?
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I can relate. I was way into Ghost Recon before COD: MW.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Bal wrote: »
    Jonathan, Geezus, you guys at Redstorm?

Yeah, we're at RSE, Bal. bonjour! :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    GEEZUS! Make it faster!
    I guess I'll pick this one up. Support the locals and what not. :P
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Firebert wrote: »
    GEEZUS! Make it faster!
    I guess I'll pick this one up. Support the locals and what not. :P

Actually, this is all the Paris studio. We're just providing some support here and there. They've really done a great job with it, so you should still pick it up! :D
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well shucks! Still looks slick as hell.

And back on the OP, stop with the "new site" tease balling.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    meeeeeehhhhh I wanna like it, but I just cant bring myself to. Ill try the game, but the trailer was a bit too much cheeze for me.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Thats what i call putting the ghost, in Ghost Recon. I remember playing the first one on PC, tons of glitches, i remember stopping at one point cause the autosave happened right after my squad member got stuck in a bush. And those AI were a deadshot!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Am I missing something here?

Maybe I am a bit of a purist but I really miss the original direction of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon of years past.

This trailer is just popcorn flick cheese. It will definitely get the majority of the market excited, but is it really a contender for an artistically fantastic trailer ?

Blizzard Cinematic trailers would definitely deserve the visual accolades and Kojima's in-game trailers are beautifully framed and cut.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    this looks sillly

unless the ghosts are fighting against mechs i will be disappointed with this FUTURE SOLDIER direction.

if the ghosts are fighting against mechs i will buy it twice.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fuse wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?

Maybe I am a bit of a purist but I really miss the original direction of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon of years past.

This trailer is just popcorn flick cheese. It will definitely get the majority of the market excited, but is it really a contender for an artistically fantastic trailer ?

Blizzard Cinematic trailers would definitely deserve the visual accolades and Kojima's in-game trailers are beautifully framed and cut.

Certainly. There's not many live-action trailers out there of this calibre. I could easily say that Blizzard intros are cheesy CG fantasy, couldn't I? Trying to be objective with the idea, not subjective.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I can see where you are coming from. But even if you are going to judge it from a strictly film short perspective it feels a lot more amateur than what was done for the ODST short.

I am talking strictly from a film perspective. Sure, there arent many live-action trailers out there this year but I didnt even consider this anything close to being the best.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If ODST and this were up for "TOTY", then ODST would take it for a highscore, for sure. Not sure what your point is now ;)

EDIT: All I am saying is this is one of many neat trailers I've seen.

I actually think the Red Dead Redemption trailers are the best I've seen but they aren't artistic in any shape. They're just the best way to do a trailer, IMO.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Uhg.

I enjoyed quite a lot of it, but the rest...god damnit.

I hate how people always fall for this bait, that computer systems will look all 'wooshy' and slick, the bit down the sniper scope just made me cringe.

No. Nobody will ever want to see all that information when looking down a scope, maybe if it synced to another device or whatever but meh. I just hate seeing this shit all the time.

The bit where they're all lined up behind that wall and shooting was incredibly cheesy, i don't see why anyone would do this, it looks so silly, especially for a game that has built it's reputation around being very tactical.

The gritty stuff and the cloak thing was cool though, also liked the drone thing patrolling the streets.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    JFletcher wrote: »
    Uhg.

I hate how people always fall for this bait, that computer systems will look all 'wooshy' and slick, the bit down the sniper scope just made me cringe.

No. Nobody will ever want to see all that information when looking down a scope, maybe if it synced to another device or whatever but meh. I just hate seeing this shit all the time.

The bit where they're all lined up behind that wall and shooting was incredibly cheesy, i don't see why anyone would do this, it looks so silly, especially for a game that has built it's reputation around being very tactical.

The gritty stuff and the cloak thing was cool though, also liked the drone thing patrolling the streets.

And hexagons. Can't be scifi without hexagons.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Uhg.
    the bit down the sniper scope just made me cringe.

You wouldnt want your target highlighted in red? wait what?

I thought it was an awesome trailer. I kinda worked on it but then in the end I did not at all because of stuff...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Uhg.

The original Ghost Recon was heads-up-display hell, not sure if this is really that much of a stretch.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    The original Ghost Recon was heads-up-display hell, not sure if this is really that much of a stretch.

ghostrecon1_3_640w.jpg

?????
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Why so much pickyness? It looks cool, and I'll jump at the opportunity to stop 'dem ultranationalists again!
    But tbh, I played the last GRAW game ata friends house, didn't find it very enoyable. Slow, difficult, enemies have insane accuracy. I definitely prefered RS:Vegas over it at that time, my friend agreed.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I enjoyed the original Ghost Recon for PC a ton, it was damn fun for it's time. I recently tried playing Advanced Warfighter on the PC and it was clunky as hell, the squad command was ridiculously basic and the movement was painfully slow. I sure hope this one is given more tactical lovin but at the same time allows for smoother movement.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SupRore wrote: »
    ghostrecon1_3_640w.jpg

?????

1 - that looks like shit. irrelevant to my point, but im saying it anyway!
    2 - i remember it being nothing but player deltas and coloured this-and-thats. Maybe I am thinking of Recon 2 co-op? I can't remember. Where's the mini map?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 - that looks like shit. irrelevant to my point, but im saying it anyway!
    2 - i remember it being nothing but player deltas and coloured this-and-thats. Maybe I am thinking of Recon 2 co-op? I can't remember. Where's the mini map?

Maybe

http://www.xboxic.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/GRAW-3.jpg

or

http://andy.gamerscircle.org/images/GRAW_PC_SP_064.jpg

(the two version of graw, gr3)

?

gr1's hud was ugly, yes, but it was out of the way.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, thats it.

Well, it's the origin of the 'fuck hexagons!' viewpoint in the ghost recon/tom clancy game community, so it's a pretty awful example!

but yeah that shit was so obnoxious, this doesnt look any worse.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    It saddens me that GRAW is considered a first in a franchise ...

The new reinvention of the franchise reminds me way too much of Universal Soldier :) and not in a good way.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    You wouldnt want your target highlighted in red? wait what?

Ok i was a bit harsh, most of it is fine, but go to 1:10 in the vid

That's what i meant, all that crap on the left side. Although it's only for a moment so i guess it drew too much of my attention.

Awesome live action trailer, i take back 'most' of what i said, guess i was just in a stereotype hating mood when i last posted :)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I know, I will forgive you if you give out a quick new cool sdk model that I can texture! :P
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    trailer looks good, bring on the in game footage please :) If it plays like previous Ghost Recon / R6 Vegas instant purchase for me.
  • Geezus
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's starship troppers (the book) without aliens to fight against?
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    I must be one of the few people who liked GRAW 1 & 2. I found it a blast to play it split-screen, bot-hunting in the dark with night vision and sniper rifles.

Loading up a map with around 20 'copters and going at it with rocket launchers was pretty fun, too.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soooo, the russians are baddies again, and OH JOY the Western forces save the world ONCE AGAIN.

Give me a break.
  • Geezus
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Killing an MBT with some shoulder mounted AT-Weapon with the size of a toaster. Well thats a bit over the top for me. No need for much realism here as we are talking about "future soldiers" but thats a little too much.
    Why didn't they have drone with some AT-Weapon and let it do the job?

Anyway: I like the trailer overall.
    But the shoulder-cannons are annoying as hell. Everytime I see them I get this predator taste in a negative sense.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus, stop teasing me.

Imagine your 15. Your dad comes into your room and says,
    "Hey son, now, I know you're turning 16 in a year and you'll finally be able to drive. I went ahead and bought you a brand new 911 Turbo. I put the keys in a bulletproof glass safe in the living room. Once you're 16, we'll open the safe and take her for a spin. Love ya!"

you sumumabiotch :P

I dig the interview and the gameplay looks awesome. That co-op should be killer man. Totally my style.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Oh no.. GR .. GR died after the first one.. the second one was terrible and from the look of the trailer alone this is terrible. It still pisses me off that the second betrayed the first not a little but by such a huge amount.. making it so arcadey. GR was about insanely accurate enemies and slow because you had to cross over much greater distances BUT you got to flank, you got to place a sniper on high ground overlooking the objective and fire support in a location that gave you covering fire when you made your move. If the enemy was too hard and your team gets wiped its because you didnt use the correct strategy, start the mission again from an autosave (no saving every time you kill a baddie) yeah pain in the ass but the sense of achievement you got when you did crack it beats any mission completion in any damned arcade FPS you care to mention.

The second was a travesty because it went console.. dumbed down and the worst of all "you're leaving the mission area". I stopped playing at that point and traded it for something else. It could have been so much more but was a pile of shit instead.

Now the new one I saw invisible guys.. rockets firing from a grunts back and killing a tank and what the hell is with the drones? And I find it funny that the sniper is still using a Barrett with all that high tech stuff..and an old sniper rifle shouldn't it be a sniper rifle that teleports the bullet from the muzzle straight through to the middle of the targets head? -.-

bloody garbage...

end rant
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i preordered it on steam when they put it...

I download the pre-charge, and when i'm going to play it... what the heck, the game is totally broken for PC! I can't use the keyboard nor the mouse... and it has too many glitches and bugs. The worst money i have ever spent in a game in my whole life. I hope they solve all the bugs asap or i will ask for a refund.

It's incredible... 3 studios working in a game for almost 5 years for this SHIT? C'mon...

I'm the only one here that bought the game?¿
  • baalnazzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah! I heard that many users has this mouse and keyboard problem. There is some patch but what I know it fixes all but not this. I'm interested in this game and I hope they'll do something about this. Such surprises are often last time and that's why I didn't pre-ordered anything for a long time. Games are released bugged and almost unplyable needing lots of patches. I feel like a tester not customer sometimes. Sad but true.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18