Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Go! VENUSAUR!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
RThomson polycounter lvl 11
So I've been looking for a project to make some three dee stuff for (I like the thought that my models will go to use after I've made them.), to help me learn the basics of game modelling. I found a really begginer game designer making a pokemon engine and thought i'd see if I could finish anything for him to maybe use. If this goes how it usually does when i start a model, I won't, but I really liked the idea of modelling a more realistic set of pokemon.

So far I have no clue about different maps, or more specifically, how to apply them, and I've never successfully normal mapped a model, i'm also going to try rigging in maya for the first time and learn how to use the marmoset toolbox.

All easter to work on this. yay!

rob

venusaurscreen.jpg

Replies

• achillesian
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good start sounds like fun, those legs look like they would be really really hard to rig or animate you might want to seperate them from the body somehow
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
  • RThomson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oo. comments. that's why i love polycount. thanks guys.

Ged. you're not wrong. it's going to be a bit hard seperating the mesh much more as I can't subdivide it any further,. eh, where there's a will there's a way I guess.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Wow! This is so well-made that it doesn't even look like a Pokemon (heh, this one is better)! XD

As for animating the legs... I would use Morph Targets in 3DS (I don't know how they are called in Maya), but I'm not sure that a game engine can read them natively...
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great so far. Only weird thing to me are the front legs... they seem to be bending the wrong way. Aside from animals like horses, most quadrupeds have front legs that are actually more like arms with the elbow pointing towards the back. Even pokemon characters. :)

Maybe he could use a little tail nub or something too.

EDIT: So I actually looked up the original Venusaur and can see where you got the front legs from. I guess they were trying to go for a turtle-like creature so you're probably right to have modeled it the way you did. :poly136:
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I will travel across the land... searching far and wideeeeeeee.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Progg wrote: »
    I will travel across the land... searching far and wideeeeeeee.

Takes Pokemon to understand the power that's inside

Liking the sculpt a lot can't wait to see the bake
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i really like the idea, like hell yeah, ive always wanted to do a next gen pokemon. But i think it looks lumpy right now, so its not reading right. venusaur would prob be a bit thicker skinned, but not really lumpy, it makes it read as fat. But your on the right track i think it just needs to be refined more, maybe drop down a sub-d and delete higher ones and then re sub div, this can often help remove those bumps. But its definitely going to look good if you can refine it some more.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    YAY POKEMANS!

Lowpoly, NOW!
  • Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to laugh at seeing that. Awesome!

The leaves look a bit strange though. I think it's because they seem too thick at the edges.

And this is going to be so awesome to animate.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

i'm almost tempted to do balba (the only one of those little guys worth a fuck)

ps. i think the thick leaves give it a good style, it's a bit of a throwback to the old sprite stuff where everything had to be super chunky
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    oh, cool one... hehe...waitn for more :)
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sometimes its tough to work off characters that are concepted so smoothly with only major anatomical landmarks like the pokemanz tend to, i think you did a great job so far of giving him a fleshy feel when the character from the show/games really didnt have any hints of textrue to it. nice one so far! good weight!.
  • RThomson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy pokemon Jesus that's a lot of feedback, I appreciate it :)

achillesian - :D
    dejawolf - :D
    Minotaur0 - :D
    Mr_Drayton - Thanks man, long ways to go yet. Morph targets? I'll look into it, cheers.
    haikai - ha, thanks for the crit, yeah it seems that way before you look at the cartoon, if it were me designing this guy i'd have had the feet pointing more inwards too, but it all makes sense when you think about the weight of the character. Crocs have similar legs too.
    DKK - haha!
    Progg - I downloaded it for inspiration :)
    PhattyEwok - cheers man, next on the list! woo!
    hijak - thanks for the crit man, the way i see it, is he's a plant based pokemon, and to have that huge thing growing out of him he'd almost have to be full of soil, so I reckon he'd be a bit lumpy. I think if it were all fat he'd droop a bit more. I did go and iron out a few parts that looked weird though.
    Anuxinamoon - :D
    Divine Rage - haha, yeah the leaves are partially that thick so that the normal map generator has something to read, I'm just assuming that it will help, and they'd have to be pretty thick to support their own weight no? also the top ones are petals so they're that thickness for a reason. yeah, looking forward to the animation if I can give it a good rig.
    Harry - Do it! DO IT! More Pokemons!
    Spatz - :)
    9skulls - :)
    Skulburn - I know! if only I were 200 people... thanks a lot! :D
    woogity - yeah exactly what I thought, for that reason i haven't applied a general texture to the whole of the skin. thanks man :)

I seperated the limbs from the body as per Ged's suggestion, and made the plant bigger on the advice of someone from GA.org apparently it make him look bigger, but i'm not sure, what do you guys think? I think it's ready for topology.

Venusaur! CHARGE!

venusaurseperated.jpg

or this big even? ohh i don't knoww!

bigflower.jpg
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    I think the bigger flower actually makes him look smaller. I like the first one because of its somewhat badass realistic style. Making the flower bigger looks closer to the official style, but makes him looks smaller imo.

Keep up the awesome work!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I love it!

Instantly made me think of this.

Bulbasaur_redesign_by_M0AI.jpg
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    This is awesome! Can't wait to see more progress!
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats what IM takin about.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Try rotating his legs out sideways instead of out the back/front. :)
  • Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I, like others, prefer the smaller leaves. Then again, I'm still going to be pushing for thinner leaves. I suggest atleast trying it. Shrink the edges of the leaves a bit.
  • RThomson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for even more feedback guys, I agree about keeping the plant small, as for thin leaves.. we'll have to see :)

Went in circles for a bit but now i'm back on track.

Wip of the retopology:

fade2.gif

Sorry bout the colour. was the only one that didn't show the topology lines over the hi res. bed time.

Venusaur! SLEEP!

zzz
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Hehe good job!
    I see you fixed those problematic areas too. Excellent !

Venusaur is really cool :)

I like the fat leaves, they are more fleshy and look more like real camouflage than gimmick. :)
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    ahahah thats so awesome.... stop tempting me to madel pokemans, it'll kill what little cred i have left