Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Adina Krause

Hi guys,
it would be great to get some critics concerning my portfolio. I recently graduated from university and I thought it would be good to have a portfolio I can show clients and possible employers. I almost finished the webdesign part and doing the content right now. What is still missing? Where are mistakes (I bet the texts are full of them ;) ) I know I should get my own domain as soon as possible. So thanks for your crits.

http://polyphobia.de/Adina/Portfolio/welcome.html

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff.
    I think this should be your main page.
    I think you should link your galleries so you can move from one image to the other without having to exit the flash browser which takes a while to load, at least for me.

I don't think domain names are all that important. Most of the time you'll be sending a cover letter email along with a link. Unless you're doing a lot of face to face meetings and need a quick catchy name that will be easy to remember or look good on a business card.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your work is great and nicely stylized, especially for a new graduate. The only thing is that it's almost all geared towards animations, instead of video games (the 3D work, at least). If you're looking towards the VG industry, you should throw some low-poly work and display their poly counts.

A few of the UV's could be a bit more effective, lots of empty space in them.

Oh, and Lightbox will not find any love around here.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    the third pic in the 2d Section didn't work for me.

Your work, especially 2d Arts, is very impressive and inspriational. Also the 3d work is appealing although not as developed as your 2d skills, I think.

Judging from the ship, which I think its your weakest piece, I'm missing the woohaa-effect I got from your drawings. Maybe I'm mising a lot of the fine detail in the textures on the ship. If thats the case you should work on the presentation on your models.

If you are aiming for game-business you should get into normalmaping (If you haven't already) as this technique is quite common these days and it requires a different approach to texturing. You should prove to be able to work with this.

As a suggestion: Try to bring those awesome material effects and rich style you did on your red-riding-hood artwork onto a model.
  • rawrsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Cool stuff.
    I think this should be your main page.

seconded
  • ArtOfBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work Alina.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff. Great amount of quality work.
  • Adina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for your crits and suggestions so far :)

Vig: thanks for your critics. I´m definitely going to work on the lightbox. While checking the page for broken and wrong links it was already getting on my nerves that i always had to close it. and thanks for the start page suggestion.

mathes: currently i m doing some textures for low poly models. No modeling yet but i hope its a step into the direction. when i m finished with that I´ll try and do some low poly modeling.

slave_zero: thanks, yes the link is broken- ill fix that
    haha yes and I already thought of doing a model of the red riding hood. I`ll keep that in mind and make it an exercise on normalmapping.
  • DimSum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DimSum null
    Pretty portfolio Adina, I like it a lot. There's some great potential ; )
    A have few comments if you allow me:

-To be able to have a complete view of your work, I have to scroll down on my poor 21" screen each new page freshly loaded to see the pics at the bottom. Since wide screens tend to be more wide-spread nowadays, perhaps you could consider lining your pictures more horizontally instead of vertically ? ; )
    Or even push your layout a bit up, you have quite some unused spaces above, so you wont have to change the configuration of the gallery too much : )

-I would reduce the resize-animation of the lightbox to minimum, to maximize the browsing experience : )

I'll make sure to follow your progress in the future, I like your style very much! Cheers =)