Home Technical Talk

Rendering Vertex Paint in Max

Hey there fellas, I'm hoping I can get some help. I have a model with both a diffuse texture and a vertex paint modifier in 3ds max. It looks good in the viewport but when I render it the color takes kinda takes over the texture and it looks really washed out. I have a blend material set up, with the difuse as the first map and the vertex color as the second. Thanks in advance! Im using 3dMax 2008

Replies

• Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NVM I figured it out :)
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    it would be good if you posted your solution or what you forgot or whatever, so that if other people use the "search" and find your question, also find a solution
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you add a vertex colour material to the diffuse component of your material slot and hey presto it will render for you.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Frubes said is true but that is only if you want to render the Vertex paint, if you want to render with a diffuse AND vertex paint you just have to do a couple extra things.

Use a composite Material, for your Base Material slot use a standard shader and put your diffuse texture in the Diffuse Slot. Going back to your composite Material, use a standard shader on your first material slot, On this one instead of choosing the bitmap option for your diffuse slot, you simply chose Vertex color. Now just go back to your Composite material and set the blending mode to Muliply (Click on the "M" next to the material slot) and you can mess around with the strenght.

I hope I didn't miss something :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    you could do this a bit more cleanly with a composite texture. that way your not processing 2 materials.

Just put a texture in 1 slot, create a new slot and put the vertex color in the top slot on multiply. this should render a little faster
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    yep composite map is cleaner and faster.
    and also has more options for the mix like photoshop ;)
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Im pretty sure you guys are right, I'm running Max2008 and I don't get the cool options with the composite map on the diffuse :( So yeah, don't listen to me lol
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Master_v12 wrote: »
    Yeah Im pretty sure you guys are right, I'm running Max2008 and I don't get the cool options with the composite map on the diffuse :( So yeah, don't listen to me lol

If your using Mental ray you should have a 'RGB Multiply' texture node which will do the same job
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wins, a lot simpler and with better results. Thanks man!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Bringing this thread back! Woot.

So I'm trying to do whats mentioned above. Create a material which uses both a diffuse texture and vertex colour which I've painted to my props. However, I can't get both to render.

uU7Ma.jpg

Its just the one box thats been vertex painted. The diffuse texture its self is grey scale.

So as you can see. I have the vertex colour material above the diffuse and set to multiply and nothing happens at render time. Only when I reduce the strength of the diffuse will the vertex colour show through. And for what its worth.. when i try to reverse the positions of the two materials nothing happens either.

Any ideas? Thanks :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using a composite material or are you using a composite map in the diffuse slot of a standard material?

The composite map has layers with blending options just like photoshop and should work if you put your AO layer above your base layer and set it to multiply or something similar.
    WrinkleMapBlending.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Mark,

that fixed my problems.