Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Preview - Spheros

Hi, I am being forced to upload this for a class! :D
Anyway, I needed to make a 3rd character for this class and I chose something from my childhood. This character has been with me for years. Almost lost in time, I revived him as a 3D character.

Note, he is missing his right eye on the model right now, and he is missing his mouth currently.

As part of the forced uploading, I was told to ask for critique.

Concept art:

dbae4b6ab1e1b2ea8ad5a5bd2bf63b1b.png

Model Sheet:

Spheros_Model_Sheet_by_JoeyBarr.png

3D Model

Spheros_Model_2___Wireframe_by_JoeyBarr.pngSpheros_Model_1_by_JoeyBarr.png

Replies

• JoeyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the coloring and normals today.
    I made the orbs have a self-illumination map does anyone know if they can also glow and/or become a light source? I don't know if that could be done with a map or not.

5f0451dd13761b3be3a8ea48155bcc20.png
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    why are his legs like that? will he be doing that pose much when rigged? model in a relax kinda average pose close to where the model will be at when rigged most often
  • JoeyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I forgot to say I'm using 3ds Max, yes.
  • JoeyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    why are his legs like that? will he be doing that pose much when rigged? model in a relax kinda average pose close to where the model will be at when rigged most often

I was told by a teacher to do that......in a character class too. Huh...
    His legs are spread at a 45 degree angle and the feet were relaxed a bit and facing down like I was told. So, I don't know what is wrong with it then.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    For modelling humans its generally good to have the arms splayed slightly because its a kind of 'midpoint' between how far the arm would ever rotate and move.

For the legs this is not so necessary as there's not many times when someone's legs will be split more than 45*. For a dog like animal, even less so. modelling with the legs in a more natural (but relaxed) position will help you get the anatomy right. for example I think the front leg is a little high on the body - or at leas the chest sticks very far out underneath.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    <edit> maybe I'm coming off too mean
  • Giacomo X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giacomo X polycounter lvl 6
    Assuming this animal is a dog or similar quadruped mammal, the structure of the front shoulders/legs is waaay off (see link below). You might want to rebuild that part. Also, as fearian noted above, there's no reason I can think of to model the legs sticking out like that.

http://walkingollie.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/dog_skeleton.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    --> this method only makes t so the object makes a glow on other objects, it won't glow into blank space

Put a Glare shader into the output slot. This will make any incandescent objects bloom. be carefull ramping the self illumination values up to high they can cause artifacts.

I think your tutor was talking about humans when they said about the 45% angle on the legs. Its good practice to model characters in mid poses so that when the deform the topology doesn't have to be stretched to far from neutral to meet its extremes. Im pretty sure arms are modeled at 45 to make sure the scapulas are in a relaxed position when modeling.

If your tutor has told you to do it this way though it might be a good idea to play along, its easy to get on their bad side telling them they are wrong and 'teh internetz sed so' :)
  • JoeyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'll fix his legs and stuff later. It's already too late for now because I'm done with that class now.

Yeah, I thought the legs being out like that was kind of really weird. I had a model of wolf link from twilight princess and his legs are straight down. I don't have any other references for that so I guess I put them straight down.

Makes sense because quadrupeds have their legs built close to their bodies and can't stretch them out too too far. They are built to run.

It's actually quite astonishing to me that my teacher was wrong. What a kick in the teeth for him. I should tell him about this later.

About the way he's built. I had in my head that he had more of a muscular front end because he isn't all animal, he's a little bit anthro I guess I'd put it. And human males have bigger shoulders than hips so that's what train of thought went through my mind. I'll play with it later when I'm re-doing this one later.

Also, reading all the posts noticed there was an edit by Justin_Meisse. <_< Well, I'm glad I didn't read that today because that would just ruin my good day....