Home Technical Talk

Maya 2010 and MJ Poly Tools

Spur
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Spur polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone, quick question. Is there something similar to MJ Poly Tool's edge loop split in Maya 2010?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What does MJ Poly Tools "edge loop split" do?

There's "Insert Edge Loop" and "Offset Edge Loop" which sound similar, but I don't know what the functionality of "edge loop split" is, so it's hard to say.

What version of Maya are you using right now? Insert Edge Loop has been in since before Maya 2008, afaik.
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    I'm using 2010 now. As far as what it did,I could select and edge and then hit split edge in MJ Tools and it would put an edge loop exactly in the center of the edge I had selected. Lets say I selected one of the edges that formed the waist loop of a character, if I went to MJ Tools and split, it would split in the center and all the way around to the other side of the toon. Insert edge loop is close but is there an easy way to put it exactly in the middle? Hopefully this makes sense and will help clarify.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You can set the tool settings (option box to the right of the Insert Edge Loop command in the menu) to change how the snapping works. If it has "1 magnet" and a higher tolerance, then it will always easily snap to the exact centre of the edge you click on to insert the loop.

Super-high tolerances mean it will always snap to the magnet points. Low tolerances mean you can slide around the edge more freely until you get close to a magnet point.
    Setting magnet points to 3 would mean you have snaps at 25%, 50% and 75% along the edge length.

The same settings are available for the Split Polygon tool.
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. That's what I am looking for. I managed to get the split poly tool to work how I needed but I cant find anything about magnet points or snapping tolerance in the Insert Edge Loop options?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, maybe it uses the global snap preferences found in Window -> Settings/Preferences -> Preferences, then look in the "Snapping" section on the left. It has global magnet and tolerance settings in there, maybe it uses those.

Sorry about the misinformation before, I don't have Maya open so I'm just going from memory :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    MOP- again from memory but isnt that the snapping control for the cut tool? if it isnt cool
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    MoP wrote: »
    Sorry about the misinformation before, I don't have Maya open so I'm just going from memory :)

No worries, I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance. I knew there has to be a way to go about it. I've just always used MJ from the get go. Its been a good crutch.
  • Cheesestraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The command polySplitRing will do what you want if you create a hotkey and assign it, it will split a ring based on the edge you select and if you have no flags set it will default to the middle of the edges. Or you could use the "To Edge Ring and Split" option in the ctrl+lmb marking menu.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also you could set the options for teh insert edge loop tool. Set number of edges to 1 and it will always make it evenly spaced. you can do a max of 6 loops too, so its quite useful.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    All of the MJ Poly Tools and some others were incorporated into the OMToolbox, so if you're looking for the same functionality, you can install that.

http://jakob.welner.dk/omtwiki/index.php/Main_Page