Home General Discussion

Help accessing a network storage's hdd's!?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks, I'm in a bit of a bind. I have a network storage device that I was in the process of upgrading the firmware for this weekend, and can no longer access it.

I'd gone through most of the firmware upgrades, and was on the second to last one, and after the upgrade completed, the NAS is no longer accessible.

The network connection light is on, but the status LED on the front is red, and it doesn't show up on my router amongst the connected devices. I've had to leave a message with the manufacturer since their tech support isn't in on weekends.

I've tried in the past to access the hdd's by taking them out and hooking them up to a windows based computer, but had no luck. Is there any way that anyone's aware of that I could just hook up one of the sata hdd's to my computer and access the data on them?

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Try hooking them up and installing a Linux VM and mounting them. One of the network storage devices I used before formatted the drives in a linux (ext2) format. You can also get an ext2 extension for Windows that may let you see them.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks kub. I'll give the extension a try tonight. I'm not gonna even try and pretend to know what I'm doing with running a linux VM, I'm way too rusty to give that a go. :D
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I'll prolly be on IRC tonight if you need help or something. Just hit me up.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contacted tech support for the NAS this morning, individual who answered was extremely helpful. We went through testing steps and determined (as I'd expected) that it was a bad firmware flash. When I started giving my info for an RMA and got to my phone number, he said "Wait... where are you located?", and I said "Right across the bay from you guys. Heck, I used to work not too far from where your facility is." Might be able to avoid a shipping hassle and drop off the unit for a replacement personally. :D