Home General Discussion

Nvidia geforce gtx 480 and 470 Price and Specs

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-and-470-specs-and-pricing-emerge/
We're only a week away from their grand unveiling, but already we've got word of the specs for NVIDIA's high end GTX 480 and GTX 470 cards. Priced at $499, the 480 will offer 480 shader processors, a 384-bit interface to 1.5GB of onboard GDDR5 RAM, and clock speeds of 700MHz, 1,401MHz, and 1,848MHz for the core, shaders and memory, respectively. The 470 makes do with 446 SPs, slower clocks, and a 320-bit memory interface, but it's also priced at a more sensible $349. The TDPs of these cards are pretty spectacular too, with 225W for the junior model and 295W for the full-fat card. Sourced by VR Zone, these numbers are still unofficial, but they do look to mesh well with what we already know of the hardware, including a purported 5-10 percent benchmarking advantage for the GTX 480 over ATI's HD 5870. Whether the price and power premium is worth it will be up to you and the inevitable slew of reviews to decide.

Can I say finally?

Replies

• Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    yipee 10% speed advantage
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yes, you can, cause I was thinking the same thing: Finally!

Power consumption seems really high, and was expecting the card to have 2gb of vram, not 1536mb.
    Doesn't sound powerful enough either to be worth upgrading from a 9800gtx (which is what I currently use).
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    if anyone else had a keen eye they would see that the hair demo in that other thread was running on a 480.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Just wait half a year and the price is in the 200 range hehe :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Wow that is cheaper than i thought...there were rumours of it being $600...though in reality i think UK and Euro peeps will pay £400/€450
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Sounds neat, I'm good with my 5870 though :)
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I think I'm stickin to ATI 5870 on my next upgrade despite the numerous disadvantages that comes with goin ATI rather than Nvidia. Really surprised how ATI managed to dominate the entire market with dx11 cards before nvid even release their first. God knows they needed it.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    I could be sold if the price is right, my old 8800GTX is showing a bit of age now and there is some nice pc games around that I would like to dig into. I hate buying GFX cards on release, there so over priced for the first 3months! See how the pay check is looking.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    get a 260-285 good price and perform very well
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Flava-Fly wrote: »
    I could be sold if the price is right, my old 8800GTX is showing a bit of age now and there is some nice pc games around that I would like to dig into. I hate buying GFX cards on release, there so over priced for the first 3months! See how the pay check is looking.

I'm still running an 8500GTX so don't feel bad :P

Something seems a little too high about those power needs. I'm thinking those are a little off?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the current ati cards are awesome, have one at home and we just switch over at work, first time i have ever gone with ati, and i am not regretting it one bit. the price is right and the performance is great.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah finally, but nvidia is smart they ussually dont release new things while they still have the top product, so since they need that 10% to regain dominanance nows a good time to release. However ill stick with my 285 for now its way fast i love it.
    @ polyhertz, it might not seem it but that card is at least 2x as fast as the 9800gtx, i went from the 8800gtx to a 285 and i was blown away i was getting nearly 4 times the framerate in crysis. But for graphics work, i have to say there is little improvement, maya still acts like a punk when you start working on meshes over 500k poly and still loads textures and displays them really slowly. but my performance in unreal did go up i guess, although the 8800 was nothing to complain about.

@ arshlevon how do you feel about their control panel and drivers though, they have given me so much trouble. I keep a few gaming pcs around the house and one is using a new ati card, it preforms absolutely great and was cheap, but the control panel i so bad. First of all it shows up in a different way on each os ive installed it on, even changing between 32 and 64 bit there was differences. And it was really a frustrating experience trying to get it to recognize my plasma properly, ended up requiring a hack to make it show up at full res. Whereas my nvida control panel has never had any issue with any display ive used with it. I will admit that now days the two companies are more even, so that is really the only issue ive had with ati. have you had any similar issues?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    rolfness wrote: »
    get a 260-285 good price and perform very well

I got a 9800GT 1gig vram, I'm probably going to skip the 200 series cause I don't want to have to upgrade again for DX11, I can wait a year or so for prices to drop or a better line of cards.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Seen them advertised for pre-order today, looks like there available on the 6th of next month. Cheapest is £309 on my usual hardware website. Pretty steep for the base version 470, the 480 is like £400+. Too rich for my blood (and my salary) atm.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will wait for the revised version. A3 chip draws too much power, generates too much heat for the money. Plug-in two monitors and the fan will speed up due having an extra monitor plugged in. Card that runs closer to 100 degrees Celsius isn't something I want inside my case :) CUDA support of course is a plus, but not that big.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Its pretty funny, but they still arent here yet.

Will anyone buy them or be able to buy them?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Calabi wrote: »
    Its pretty funny, but they still arent here yet.

Will anyone buy them or be able to buy them?

http://www.evga.com/default.asp
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol @ the "FTW edition"
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was starting to get really excited about ATI's latest offerings, but then someone gave ma a 5770(which was a dev sample, so maybe the issues were solved in the final retail version) and the terrible drivers, strange problems like video cutting out randomly for a few seconds every once in a while, rendering stalling completely in games for a few seconds, then popping back up... It just made me very leary, so it will be going into my HTPC instead of my workstation simply because my slower 8800 is quite a bit more stable. I was real hopeful that ATI was kicking out some good things these days, but was pretty disapointed with the issues i had. Looks like i'll have to continue spending a little more to get the reliability and stability for a workstation that nvidia offers.

So while these cards arent really anything excited, there is a good chance i will get one of them before i go over to ATI.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I have a 4870 and I fucking hate the way it performs with 3D applications. Also Photoshop.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    i have an 8800. im good for the next year. i may get a new one for crysis 2 tho! lol
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    piippo wrote: »
    I will wait for the revised version. A3 chip draws too much power, generates too much heat for the money. Plug-in two monitors and the fan will speed up due having an extra monitor plugged in. Card that runs closer to 100 degrees Celsius isn't something I want inside my case :) CUDA support of course is a plus, but not that big.

When are those due? I have to pay for electricity here. Inefficient power hungry setups are ludicrous.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    When are those due? I have to pay for electricity here. Inefficient power hungry setups are ludicrous.

More or less just rumors at this point. Earliest, late this year. I'm interested to see how this affects card prices around the spectrum - will AMD lower their prices? I would think so, since they hiked the prices up after launch due nVidia being late with their cards.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    ATI probably won't touch prices and I'm betting the Nvidia cards will retail a little high too. Supply from TSMC still isn't perfect.

Personally I feel that these new Nvidia cards aren't that great. I mean, yay for being 15-20% faster in the best case scenario but when you factor in 100+ bucks USD and over 100+ watts in power consumption...not worth it to me. Granted, I don't have money for an upgrade and don't need one: my 4870 works like a charm in 3D apps and games. I've never really had a problem with AMD so far on the driver side either. I think those days are pretty much gone minus crossfire setups.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I might skip this generation of Nvidia cards. Early reviews show them running very hot, very loud, and drawing tons of power, and giving back MARGINAL gains over ATI's best.

Not what I expected from Nvidia considering they were six months late to the DX11 party. I'll stick with my GTX285 for another year at least.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah I can't see myself upgrading soon, I would get a 200 series card if the prices dropped and it had DX11, but I guess I'll wait for a revision or new series.
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was very disappointed in this showing. Nvidia was talking big shit about their new cards and how they were going to mop the floor with ATI, but the best card Nvidia now offers still doesn't perform nearly as well as the best card ATI released six months ago. The 480 is a bit cheaper, but frankly, if I was spending in the $500 range for a new video card, I'd dish out another $100 to get better performance, lower power usage, and cooler temperatures with the Radeon 5970.

I was really looking forward to these new cards for awhile, but it looks like I'll just wait to see how people start using Cuda and see if its worth it at all to upgrade from my 4850.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to see OpenCL mature and to become more widely used. nVidia has done good and right things with CUDA.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    ceebee wrote: »
    I have a 4870 and I fucking hate the way it performs with 3D applications. Also Photoshop.

My ATI 5850 works despite my greatest fears great with Maya and Photoshop, ATI is working hard on there drivers lately, not anything near the desater i had back then with my Radeon 9800 Pro. About nVidia well nothing surprising there i think its a good card still, if you want such an power hungry loud beast. I personally gonna stay away from nVidia in the future i had a lot awefull troubles with nVidias drivers on my GeForce 8800, not to mention how unbeliveable shit my nForce board was, long long trust nicely wasted.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    piippo wrote: »
    I'd love to see OpenCL mature and to become more widely used. nVidia has done good and right things with CUDA.

+1 Unlike CUDA, its entirely open source and backed by more than one company.