Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mercer Wip

The Dag Node
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
The Dag Node polycounter lvl 15
Hola!
So I have been working on this guy and I thought it was a good time to get some critique. To start off with this is based on the Gi Joe action figure, Mercer. However I'm trying to push it to a next gen level as a hero character in a 3rd person shooter.

So I've been doing some paintover and trying to gear him up, bit I still don't want him to be that heavy and to stray to far apart from the original concept so I'm struggling with balancing him. He's going to wear a backpack which will hold ammunition very close to the gnomon next gen character video. Also, he's going to be holding an assault rifle which is soon to be normal mapped. since this is a 3rd person character, I am very unsure of the workflow.

Most of my concerns covers optimization.
with props like knife, gun, handgrenades etc, should I keep them as floating geometry or bake them down to the leg, chest, etc. If I were to make them as floating geo I could use the same uvspace for the legs atleast and save texture space. All other parts need to be separate as neither his arms, head or backpack are meant to be mirrrored. However this also mean his folding on the leg will be mirrored. Also shouldn't the knife backpack and gun be able to be separate so you can hide and show them, or use them as secondary weapons to be able to use them ingame?

How many maps should I use for a piece like this?
As I see it, I need one for the body and gear, one for the head, one for the rifle, gun and knife, grenade and one for the hair.
Also, what polycount should I aim for? I'm trying to push the rifle down to 600 or so and the character like 15000?

Mercer_Wip_by_willeford.jpg

Please feel free to comment. I could really use it!

Replies

• Willburforce
    Admit you read this and see shades of "jurassic era monkey worrying about council tax"

Dude.... Just learn to build him first

Doesnt matter if he has super shared uv space... he still has no legs ... his gun is merely a tattoo.

1 texture layout for ALL of the character i'd say for 3rd person @ 1024
    1 texture for the main weapons cos they weapons come and go... @ 512
    Dunno.... how many polygons on screen at once... what engine... etc etc

:) variables, so many
  • The Dag Node
    Offline / Send Message
    The Dag Node polycounter lvl 15
    Yes, plenty of variables =/

So for the gear that supposed to come on and off (knife, gun, grenades, rifle) they can share one texture and then have 3 different alpha maps to mask one item off at a time?

thanks.