Home General Discussion

Is there a noob section here?

Like people who are new to 3D art? I think it is very interesting, and I'm dying to learn. I would take some classes on the subject, but I don't know if I can fork the cash for them.

Is there like some newbie section in the forums anywhere? I'd like to learn...

My cousin gave me his computer and it had a copy of 3DS max on it. (Oh and if your wondering... he won't be of any help in learning)

So where did you guys learn to model? School? On your own? Tutorials?

Thanks guys, I'm dying to start :D

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Check out the 3D Studio Max tutorials on 3Dbuzz link
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I read books and tutorials. Then it's practice, practice, practice.... I had a lot of time to practice on my own while in school. :D

This might help as well

http://lounge.ego-farms.com/
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    gameartisans.org

lol :P

lots of good tutorials on the interwebs
  • ironbearxl
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    http://google.com

loads of tutorials there if you type in quotes.

You already have 3d studio max installed. Go to Help on the menu bar, click tutorials. That will start you on the right track. Take notes I'd suggest.

On with that. There is an AREA community that have random tutorials for 3d modelers who have peer to peer approach for learning:

http://area.autodesk.com/

Good luck!!
    So where did you guys learn to model? School? On your own? Tutorials?

!! I started drawing when I was 5, when I was 15 I found this website of Autodesk when I was searching to have a decent program for 3d modeling and found Maya (I think it was 2 or 3 back than) so I played around with it. Later on I found 3ds max (version 4 I think) and played around with that also. I took both essentials seriously about 2 years ago when I planned on learning everything about game development and production. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used:

F1.

Max Main Menu > Help > Tutorials.

Google.

I really don't see a need for formal training unless you have money to burn, often the teachers are just as clueless as the students and just follow a tutorial they found or go right out of the help docs autodesk provides.

I think the ability to find information distill it down and use it is a very important skill and one they don't teach you in school (some do, but they are rare). This skill will help you keep current after you leave school or to learn what they can't or won't teach you.
  • superpolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wtf man! I clicked on the third link under free stuff and my screen froze and my work PC got flooded with viruses! Like 30 different Trojans and malware! I use trust this site with links but now I'm gonna be hesitant with all the resourceful links. :poly127: I hope you get banned.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    You're joking right? It's a modelling tutorial for a street cop.

street_cop_workflow_10.jpg

@ -diesel- - What Vig said is important, the most useful thing you can learn is the skill of being able to distil and cross-reference info from many sources to get questions answered. Often one tutorial will only cover certain aspects and leave many questions unanswered for a new user - like for example, knowing the difference between a Editable Poly and an Editable Mesh - nothing like following a max tutorial and finding half the commands the tutorial is asking you to do don't exist.

Oh and watch out for the space bar.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    You're joking right? It's a modelling tutorial for a street cop.

street_cop_workflow_10.jpg

It is weird because avast threw a massive hissy fit when I entered that site. Although it was probably the advertisements as I didn't get any such viruses and my pc didn't freeze and I was free to browse the tutorial.