Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stealth Lift

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Paulod polycounter lvl 8
Hi polycounters,

This is my first post on this forum so I hope you guys enjoy what I have to show you. This project is my first full environment and will hopefully help me get a job in the games industry.

The project is a barn containing a concealed lift that leads to an underground base. It is heavily inspired by the Umbrella corporation in Resident Evil - Extinction.

So far I have blocked everything out, added some tilling textures and some lighting to help me get an overall feel for the project. I am primarily posting to receive some comments and crits on all parts of this project and at the same time back some of the things I have learnt while putting this project together.

Info
Developed for UDK.
Created using 3D Studio Max, Mudbox and Photoshop.

projectliftscreenshots2.jpg
projectliftscreenshots3.jpg
projectliftscreenshots4.jpg
projectliftscreenshots5.jpg
projectliftscreenshots1.jpg

If you would like any more info or you would like to view some of the textures just holla in the thread and I will reply asap.

Paul.

Replies

• Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there.... let me be the first to welcome to the boards!

I think rule one of polycount is... gentically engineer and grow the thickest of skins

2nd rule... post wireframes as the guys here can tell then how the models are made... it can help the guys here get a good critique for you/

I think this is coming along nice... though I realise it is the walls so far... and you probably making the barn style props?

Keep at it..

edit... out of interest... are you going for modular bits wit the railings, beams? etc
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    @Willburforce Thanks for the reply. I will be making several modular props including the railings ventilation system and some pipes.

Here is an update, sorry it took so long but the party season hit me hard :).

First are a couple of assets I have created to get a feel for the texture style. First is a window that will be duplicated quite a few times. The second is the main door for the building.

windowk.jpg
    windowsheet.jpg

doorn.jpg

doortexture.jpg

I have also included a paint-over of how I intend to progress further with the project. Over the next week or so I will be modelling in some of the medium sized props and key objects.

paintovertwo.th.jpg

paintoverone.th.jpg

My main idea for the props and theme was to have the barn as quite an old structure mixed with very futuristic props like holographic computers and huge servers almost for a covert military installation.

Any comments, crits or suggestions are appreciated.

Paul.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    If this is supposed to be an old barn, I would rough up the wood floor planks a a lot more, desaturate them, have planks bowing up in places and misaligned in others.

Another thing is on your barn door, the crossing wood planks should probably be modeled out, currently you are relying too much on your normal map and the boards look flat because of it.

Overall there are way too many straight lines for something that is supposed to be old.

It's a good start though, just keep up the work.
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Hi,

These are some modular assets. Ventilation to be precise, its just a screen-grab of the high-poly mesh's I still have to add a few more bolts and fasteners. Let me know what you think.

@timwiese Thanks for the crit. i think I am going to stay away from the completely dilapidated look. Although I do intend on replacing the tiling texture with some modular floor tiles.

ventk.jpgventwire.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    good job! keep up the good work!
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Hi all.

Time for another update. So far i have modeled and imported about 80% of the assets i need to complete the building/scene. Below are some screenshots of the new assets with tweaked lighting and some post process effects added. I have also moved everything over to the UDK.

The assets i have added are yet to be textured but all have normals and AO maps for the time being.

I have been trying to implement some transparency for the window panes but i am having a lot of trouble with transparency in UDK so if anyone has any tutorials that i could check out i would appreciate a heads up.

wiplift6.jpg
    wiplift5.jpg
    wiplift4.jpg
    wiplift3.jpg
    wiplift2.jpg
    wiplift1.jpg
    wiplift7.jpg
    Thanks for reading and as always appreciate any crits you guys have for me.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    The scene is coming along,though one thing that really jumps out at me is your scale and proportions.

- Floor texture is huge in relation to the chairs and table. Put a human / character in for reference and compare floor board width.
    - Chairs looks really squat.
    - Table is far too low. When next to a chair, would you be able to sit there? Would your legs fit underneath?
    - Ceiling height in comparison to the chair is also super low.

Keep at it!
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    @gamedev Thanks for the crit. I made some changes to scale across the board. i think it looks better now.

scaleadjustment2.jpg
    scaleadjustment1.jpg
  • Megabiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, but i have to agree with gamedev in that the chairs and tables seem too low, almost squashed. Perhaps a tad more height in them and they'll look right. But still great work so far.