Home Technical Talk

Mudbox Issues

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,
So I brought a basemesh into mudbox tonight, and I started having ridiculous slowdown issues. At first I thought it was an export error. But it's not. I started importing the basemesh part by part, (Head, body, etc). I imported the head, no problems. But as soon as I imported the body, the scene slows down ALOT. No idea why. I have no N-gons, no tri's, nothing.
Anyone know what would cause this? No, my system is not the problem. The basemesh is the only issue here.

Here are the wireframes. Nothing seems wrong at all. However, mudbox seems to have a hard time showing the wireframe in-program. In max, everything is fine, I can pop several turbosmooths without any issues.

*Edit* I brought it into Zbrush and I have no issues whatsoever. The problem truly lies within the body of the model, the head is fine. I've used a plugin that shows all tri's and ngons, and there are none. My basemesh is purely, and 100% only quads. What could be causing this issue? It's never happened to me before.

*Edit 2* After increasing the subdivision level to 4, everything seems to work out fine. Which is very, very strange. This sucks because I can't work on my lower rez mesh. Guess I'll have to do it in Zbrush. If anyone knows a solution for this, please, I'd greatly appreciate it!

86459691.jpg
By
prophecies at 2010-03-16
53659903.jpg
By prophecies at 2010-03-16

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    strange...
    try to close the mesh... maybe its the borderedge...
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    which format do you export?
    and would it be possible to give us this file for check ?

i had some issues with mudbox once but they got fixed after all dependencies were installed properly.

latest dx, drivers, SP on OS .net stuff etc. etc.

also which version of mudbox you use?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I exported this model as an FBX (nothing showed up in the mudbox viewport), so I then exported as OBJ. I have the latest drivers for everything. This shouldn't be the case anyways, since it's just the body that has problems.

I am using Mudbox 2010. I tried in 2009, same issue.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    do you mind uploading the max files to see if any of us have the same issue?
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    perhaps try to import the first objectexport back into 3dsmax again. then convert to mesh, then to poly again and then reset xform on it, and then make a new export to obj, and import this second export into mudbox.
    are the issues then still there?

is everything ok with the uvmapping?
    have a look into the menu->tools->channel info

is vert alpha illum and color set to 0 and is only 1 mappingchannel active?
    is this mapping channel filled with reasonable values, or shows it broken values. i.e. 0 num faces
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi!
    If you have maya at hand, try exporting the obj from max to maya. I noticed recently that maya is extremely picky for obj import, and thats a good thing : it found an error (simply not opening the file at all!) that neither Max (even after STL check) nor Mudbox picked up, on a lowpoly I was working on. And after subdividing the faulty mesh in Mud a few times it eventually crashed. Once I found the error and fixed it it was all fine.
    Hope this helps!!
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Truth is he should not be getting that error or the even weirdest thing the model not showing with FBX.

In fact i have stopped exporting obj since fbx was available.

gwobj with mudbox settings and you still got the problem?
    tried mudwalker?

Please upload if possible your model. I would love to help you troubleshoot it because it sounds weird :)

also an ages old way to see if your object really is fine except from the typical convert to editable mesh, and reveal any issues that might exist is to export as 3ds and bring it back again.